TV licence.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that SB ?

just read on the cordbuster website that the inspectors have been told to desist from house visits due to covid restrictions.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every single year I consider not bothering. I even made a topic on here once in a previous year. I find it irritatingly expensive for the precious few things we actually watch live on TV. But we always end up doing it anyway. Seems like a lot of hassle to have to constantly prove you're not watching TV, and to only watch things on catch-up and so on. You basically shell out £160 to avoid a bit of hassle. :cry:

D

Deleted member 25172

Don't hardly watch anything on BBC TV and never listen to any bbc radio.

I think they've had their day. If you insist on funding by tax, you have to demonstrate value and be rigorous about impartiality. No taking of money from anyone at all.

Sweden changed a few years back, going from the same model as UK have, to now taking it directly on the taxes so you simply have no choice than to pay for it. The Swedish state television is, well, not impartial.

In 2011 they conducted a report regarding the opinions of the co-workers at the Swedish equivalent of the BBC.

52% green party
18% left party (former communist party)
13% Labour

They actually conducted a follow up check internally a few years to see if anything had changed since 2011. They never published their findings. :LOL:

But the above would obviously not do anything in regards to the impartiality in their reporting...

:unsure:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is on the BBC really? No sport, Eastenders, a few documentaries, dancing on ice, and the rest of the dross.

I'd happily stop paying them any money and wouldn't feel aggrieved by not using the BBC or iplayer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was interesting interview with one of the major TV execs a few days ago.

One of her complaints /comments was about the 5 channels always being in top place on any listing guide and channel order (a legal requirement) when the Digital platforms have to pay money to get theirs higher up the listings.

Even Sky cannot place their own products at the head of the queue.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of amusing videos on You Tube on how people deal with Tv licence "goons" calling on those who don't have a licence. Some of the conversations are hilarious and the attitude of these "inspectors" at times, is laughable. Usual opening line is do you have a TV? Answer, yes. Well you need a licence then. No i don't, now bugger off!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago I lived in a flat and didn't own a TV. I was given a video recorder, which will tell you how long ago it was as it was before DVD players, when a relative bought themselves a new one. The flat was an open plan kitchen/dining room/living room and the video recorder got left on the end of the kitchen work top and ended up with the microwave on top of it. The TV licensing people used to come round and as I had nothing to hide I'd let them in and offer them a cup of tea. One guy got really interested thinking he'd caught me out when he saw the "TV" on top of the video recorder until I opened the door to show him it was the microwave.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m a great fan of the BBC Sounds app. As well as making radio listening easy, it’s an absolutely fabulous access to a treasure trove of masses of brilliant music; music selections and compilations, as well as news, drama and documentaries old and new. And with as much Letter from America as I might ever need - a truly wonderful door to all that has been great from the BBC for the last 90yrs and all the great output is gives us today.

We should consider ourselves the custodians of the BBC and ensure that 20, 30, 50 yrs down the line we are not looked back upon and talked of as the selfish generation that turned into cultural vandals by emasculating and undermining one of the great cultural and societal assets of our country. Let us not forget why so many from outside of the UK admire and express jealousies of us - they hold those feelings because in part only the UK has anything like the BBC.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
We should consider ourselves the custodians of the BBC and ensure that 20, 30, 50 yrs down the line we are not looked back upon and talked of as the selfish generation that turned into cultural vandals by emasculating and undermining one of the great cultural and societal assets of our country. Let us not forget why so many from outside of the UK admire and express jealousies of us - they hold those feelings because in part only the UK has anything like the BBC.

I'll have what you've been smoking.

Italy has Rai which is exactly the same over 13 channels. I'm sure many other nations do to. I'm jealous of the wine, food, weather and landscape. Not what's on state TV.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many years ago I lived in a flat and didn't own a TV. I was given a video recorder, which will tell you how long ago it was as it was before DVD players, when a relative bought themselves a new one. The flat was an open plan kitchen/dining room/living room and the video recorder got left on the end of the kitchen work top and ended up with the microwave on top of it. The TV licensing people used to come round and as I had nothing to hide I'd let them in and offer them a cup of tea. One guy got really interested thinking he'd caught me out when he saw the "TV" on top of the video recorder until I opened the door to show him it was the microwave.
I think years ago, it might have been on an advert telling folks they'll be prosecuted if they watch TV without a license - but there was a bit where the inspector came round and the family chucked a video of a rotisserie chicken on their TV to make him think it was a microwave. :LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll have what you've been smoking.

Italy has Rai which is exactly the same over 13 channels. I'm sure many other nations do to. I'm jealous of the wine, food, weather and landscape. Not what's on state TV.
As usual those who have an issue with the BBC simply focus on TV. You'll note from my post that I didn't mention TV once - BBC Sounds is nothing to do with TV - that's for the iPlayer App and linear TV broadcasting. The BBC is so very much more than TV.