TV licence.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me it is about you read 'live' in the sentence.

To me that means as they are being shown E.g some of their serial series such as The Crown.

From later in the article

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

No I'm afraid you are incorrect in this instance

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/...n't need a,watching BBC programmes on iPlayer.

You don’t need a TV Licence if you only ever use online services to watch on demand or catch up programmes, except if you’re watching BBC programmes on iPlayer.

https://www.radiotimes.com/technology/technology-guides/tv-licence-netflix/

As Netflix does not broadcast its titles live, you do not need a TV licence to use the service. You don’t need a licence if you only ever watch titles on-demand or on catch up on services other than BBC iPlayer.

It's if you watch Amazon primes live things like sport that a licence would be required

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
It wrong that we are now paying to watch any "live" TV when only the BBC get the money. Apparently loads have stopped paying the licence and the BBC have lost millions in revenue. I'm just not brave enough. Has anyone on here stopped paying?

I haven't had one for a few years. In my London flat, the "inspector" wasn't allowed entry into the gates. I did have a bloke come round in Suffolk. Offered him a cup of tea, but said i'm not letting him in. He eventually went away after 10 minutes. They lie and intimidate, but are less powerful than a traffic warden.

D

Deleted member 15344

It wrong that we are now paying to watch any "live" TV when only the BBC get the money. Apparently loads have stopped paying the licence and the BBC have lost millions in revenue. I'm just not brave enough. Has anyone on here stopped paying?

That’s because all the other broadcasters get the money from other means - ie advertising or with people paying as well. Why would the other broadcasters get license fee money as well ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone cancelled theirs ? £159 a year for the boss to watch EastEnders is not vfm.

Just been on the website and it's not obvious how you do it. It's more like a request to cancel...

If you don't watch BBC or BBC iPlayer that's it isn't it ?

I remember one point from another similar thread on another forum.

I assume from your comments you never watch any news channel whether on a TV or online as that would be considered as watching live TV.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember one point from another similar thread on another forum.

I assume from your comments you never watch any news channel whether on a TV or online as that would be considered as watching live TV.

Very rarely.watch anything live, even given up on the news.
Might be tempted to give GB news a.go.

I'm the last year, she watched eastenders and I watched the NFL show on iplayer.
All the stuff we would watch would be on ITV or Ch 4 catch up. But that is really rare.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not any more I wouldn't. Some of the crap they put out these days is....well....crap. If I want crap, I'll watch......well......tv in general. If I could just do away with the license and not watch any BBC....I'd do it.

I was quoting Not the Nine O'clock News and their legendary Points of View sketch.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
All the stuff we would watch would be on ITV or Ch 4 catch up. But that is really rare.
Problem with that is you can't skip the adverts on catch-up - unless you pay a separate monthly fee to each platform, which will rapidly add up to more than the TV licence. Frankly I'm happy to pay £159 a year just so I can record broadcast TV and skip the adverts.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very rarely.watch anything live, even given up on the news.
Might be tempted to give GB news a.go.

I'm the last year, she watched eastenders and I watched the NFL show on iplayer.

If you are watching ITV and CH4 then you need a licence

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are watching ITV and CH4 then you need a licence

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel

Streaming is fine. It's watching it AS live

Ie itv player say your watching Corrie you can't watch live but you can watch hour later on catch up

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Streaming is fine. It's watching it AS live

Ie itv player say your watching Corrie you can't watch live but you can watch hour later on catch up

The way Spongebob wrote his comment in #25 is easily open to misinterpretation. I read it as he watches ITV or CH4 on catch up.

I now fully understand that you an watch catch up programmes other than BBC I player on any platform .

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The way Spongebob wrote his comment in #25 is easily open to misinterpretation. I read it as he watches ITV or CH4 on catch up.

I now fully understand that you an watch catch up programmes other than BBC I player on any platform .

Just seems like a bucket load of effort for £15 a month

I'd like to see it incorporated into sky / virgin / bt TV monthly costs

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They need to scramble the picture, charge a subscription to unscramble, as per satellite and internet based channels. All the arguing over paying or not paying disappears then. No sneaky watching but not paying, no paying for something you do not watch.

It will happen, it is just a matter of when.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Problem with that is you can't skip the adverts on catch-up - unless you pay a separate monthly fee to each platform, which will rapidly add up to more than the TV licence. Frankly I'm happy to pay £159 a year just so I can record broadcast TV and skip the adverts.

Nice thought, but there's nowt to watch.