Top 'what a load of tosh' tips

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whats popcorning?

I'm not sure but it may be another descriptor for "powderpuffing" the ball, which 6 time Major Champion Nick Faldo is regularly accused of on here ;) Bet he wishes he was a GM Forum member... we'd have sorted his swing right out including getting his driving distance up to the forum average of 300 yards (into the wind) :rolleyes: :rofl:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Whats popcorning?

It's a reference to a swing analysis by a guy called Wayne de Francesco where he discusses how far modern players hit the ball whereas Faldo for his size and height basically 'popcorns' the ball in comparison... as in never hit it very far for a man his size... which is true, Faldo was never a long hitter, good ballstriker, but short off the tee.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a reference to a swing analysis by a guy called Wayne de Francesco where he discusses how far modern players hit the ball whereas Faldo for his size and height basically 'popcorns' the ball in comparison... as in never hit it very far for a man his size... which is true, Faldo was never a long hitter, good ballstriker, but short off the tee.

wow I was right! :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
wow I was right! :D

LOL.... you always are!... apart from the Puma footwear! ;)

In reference to his 6 majors it just goes to show that you don't have to be long if you can hit it well, which is also confirmed as Luke Donald is world number 1.

Faldo was an exceptional ball striker and part of that (in my opinion) was his set up was so perfect... which is why I said so earlier ;)

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The European Tour stats for Faldo only go back to 1999, when he was a bit past his best, but he was averaging about 270 by that point, then up to 277 by 2004, which is mainly due to improved technology.

I guess the point that is made about Faldo is that for his size he didn't hit it far, but there is no evidence that he could have increased his distance without sacrificing strike quality or accuracy. Don't suppose he cares any way. Prpoer shot maker though :fore:

1992 at Muirfield... majestic.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure but it may be another descriptor for "powderpuffing" the ball, which 6 time Major Champion Nick Faldo is regularly accused of on here ;) Bet he wishes he was a GM Forum member... we'd have sorted his swing right out including getting his driving distance up to the forum average of 300 yards (into the wind) :rolleyes: :rofl:

Is that 300yards with a Range Ball?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The European Tour stats for Faldo only go back to 1999, when he was a bit past his best, but he was averaging about 270 by that point, then up to 277 by 2004, which is mainly due to improved technology.

I guess the point that is made about Faldo is that for his size he didn't hit it far, but there is no evidence that he could have increased his distance without sacrificing strike quality or accuracy. Don't suppose he cares any way. Prpoer shot maker though :fore:

1992 at Muirfield... majestic.

I agree with every word.

I'm sure I read that the 2-iron he hit on the 13th in the masters (remember that shot?) would be Tiger hitting a 7-iron, Norman had to play 1st from maybe 220yds... so Faldo had less... and hit 2-iron. Irons haven't changed THAT much, (the driver has) and they weren't playing 'gutty balls', so he's effectively quite a short hitter.

hey, hey, waddya know...... here's a vid...

[video=youtube;v20TsiaWYBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v20TsiaWYBQ[/video]

Norman had 213yds...so Faldo was even closer than I guessed :mad:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with every word.

I'm sure I read that the 2-iron he hit on the 13th in the masters (remember that shot?) would be Tiger hitting a 7-iron, Norman had to play 1st from maybe 220yds... so Faldo had less... and hit 2-iron. Irons haven't changed THAT much, (the driver has) and they weren't playing 'gutty balls', so he's effectively quite a short hitter.

hey, hey, waddya know...... here's a vid...

[video=youtube;v20TsiaWYBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v20TsiaWYBQ[/video]

Norman had 213yds...so Faldo was even closer than I guessed :mad:

He had a wood in his hand at one point...What a powderpuff! :rofl:

Last edited:
S

Snelly

Keeping your head still throughout the swing is very good advice. Mine barely moves a millimetre until I hit the ball and it is the only thing I ever think of before making a swing.

I am surprised that anyone (except James of course! :D) would think otherwise.

I know there are notable exceptions like Curtis Strange but in the main, I would think that most pros have a pretty still head during the swing.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
No thanks James.

Interesting on the US golf thay have been showing a lot of swings in slow motion, and some of the younger players have incredibly still heads until well after they have hit the ball. Same in tennis, watch Federer hit a forehand and his head is absolutely still as he hits the ball. Just think a lot of amateurs make the game harder with excessive head movement, and haven't got the hand eye co-ordination to correct it in their swing.

Doesn't mean I can do it myself.:(

Keeping your head still throughout the swing is very good advice. Mine barely moves a millimetre until I hit the ball and it is the only thing I ever think of before making a swing.

I am surprised that anyone (except James of course! :D) would think otherwise.

I know there are notable exceptions like Curtis Strange but in the main, I would think that most pros have a pretty still head during the swing.

Snelly where were you last night when they were ganging up on me:). Must admit it is my only swing thought, perhaps it is an old school thing.

S

Snelly

Whilst I'm here I might as well add to the fire with...

clubface square to the target
Line up square with the target line
Club parallel at the top
Keep the clubface square through the hitting zone
Line up straight to hit it straight

Did I forget any?

I don't understand why these are terrible pieces of advice? I aim to do all these when I hit the ball.

I wonder James whether your threads on swing mechanics are mostly beneficial or mostly detrimental to the reading forummers on here?

I find them interesting but not all that relevant to me as I don't need to change my swing or understand ball flight laws be they new or ancient. And of course, as I have said before, I believe S&T to be a flawed, ungainly gimmick so with that as context, I am hardly likely to be adopting your suggestions.

But in general terms, I admire your enthusiasm for the subject and applaud your dedication to it.

However on this thread, I find myself in total opposition to your view. Furthermore, the advice you are offering with the above being stated as bad practice, is highly subjective at best and 100% wrong at worst.

For example, why on earth is it a bad idea to line up with the clubface square to the target? That is just rubbish. I aim the clubface at the target on every shot and I am quite good. Same goes for the other tips.

Am I missing something? Is it me?

S

Snelly

Snelly where were you last night when they were ganging up on me:). Must admit it is my only swing thought, perhaps it is an old school thing.

I was at an AGM!

If anyone on this forum can shift their head about during their swing and play well then I would like to see it. Not only that, I would like to play them for money.

As I have said a lot of times before, there isn't really much that is new in golf despite what swing gurus and club manufacturers would have you believe. Keeping your head still when you hit the ball was, is and always will be, a bloody good piece of advice that everyone should follow in my opinion.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Doh! :eek:

Try this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoUr8byMTI

N
ot a lot but there's still movement.
:)

Yes but if you tried to keep your head still, there is bound to be a small amount of movement, with so much shoulder and hip turn and weight transference. Doesn't mean he is not concentrating on keeping his head still, and I personally think that is pretty still, and is worth a lot a amateurs trying to replicate.

They reckon that Molinari is one of the best ball strikers on tour, and other Pro's will take time out to watch him on the practise ground. Shame he can't putt as well.

Last edited:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As I have said a lot of times before, there isn't really much that is new in golf despite what swing gurus and club manufacturers would have you believe. .

That shorts, black work socks and brown shoes combo you posted a few weeks ago was new, but quite quite wrong, so you proved your point there! :rofl: Extensive therapy still hasn't shifted the mental image. ;)

S

Snelly

That shorts, black work socks and brown shoes combo you posted a few weeks ago was new, but quite quite wrong, so you proved your point there! :rofl: Extensive therapy still hasn't shifted the mental image. ;)

That's a bit rich from a man who like orange and white shoes.