Invitation to GM forum readers: free round of speedgolf - 18th Jun, Surrey

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
The Jezster, if you can make it on Thurs night from 6pm, you'd be very welcome at laleham Golf Club in Chertsey. The next session is on Thurs 2nd July from 6pm. If that suits better, we'll offer you a free round for that date too (and for any friends).

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
BTatHome

We set people off 4 minutes apart - about a hole and a half in speedgolf time. On the course, you're in range of the person behind, just as on a normal course. So it's the person behind who has to take care of the golfer in front and the golfer in front has to move over if caught up. They then resume once the player has come through and they're out of range of their next shot.

Does that make sense? Hope that answers your question

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks Blade player - always did football with golf on the side. A couple of big injuries did for me too. Now it's just time against me on the golf side.
GAA looks brilliant - love watching it when I can find it. More physical than football isn't it?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
BTatHome

We set people off 4 minutes apart - about a hole and a half in speedgolf time. On the course, you're in range of the person behind, just as on a normal course. So it's the person behind who has to take care of the golfer in front and the golfer in front has to move over if caught up. They then resume once the player has come through and they're out of range of their next shot.

Does that make sense? Hope that answers your question
i understand the concept of letting someone through, seems like in speed golf if you let someone through then your likely to be letting someone through over and over as the next group are gonna wanna come through straight away too. Surely someone who is faster running is simply going to want to run past everyone.

BTW. I was more concerned about normal golfers being on the course at the same time.

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
There's enough space between golfers that you're only likely to let 1 through over the course of 9 holes, and they have to be 1-2 holes faster than you (5-6 minutes over a 30-35 minute 9 hole).

Also you tee off as an individual so you're never waiting to play "in turn". We'll be introducing a pairs concept soon.

As for normal golfers, we work with the club to ensure there's no clash. We set up sesssions on the quietest days/evenings of the week and ensure that the last group of "normal" golfers tees off more than 90 minutes before the first speedgolfer.
Means the club can have speedgolf visitors teeing off long after the golf course normally closes giving them much needed revenue and using the course when it's empty.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like I say, it's a bit of fresh thinking and there's no harm in that, definitely worth a trial. For me the idea of pegging it round on my own, even with the "time + score" incentive, would be a bit solitary. Im not sure how I'd react to a bad start, for example, because the competition aspect would be gone and it might seem a long way round (as it does on Medal Sunday after a 4 - 8 - 9 start!).

Not that I mind solo golf, but when I do it's played at an even more relaxed pace than competition golf! And people who run/cycle are more used to being out on their own I guess. But in the interest of competitiveness I think this would make an interesting foursomes match format. 4 lads/lassies pelting it around the place hitting alternate shots, you could agree on gimmies within a putter length too and boot it round in no time, plus you'd have a chance to catch your breath as your buddy plays, while theres an opportunity to be ahead of the play and means youll be at your budddies shot by the time he's repaired his divot. All good fun.

Last edited:

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Like I say, it's a bit of fresh thinking and there's no harm in that, definitely worth a trial. For me the idea of pegging it round on my own, even with the "time + score" incentive, would be a bit solitary. Im not sure how I'd react to a bad start, for example, because the competition aspect would be gone and it might seem a long way round (as it does on Medal Sunday after a 4 - 8 - 9 start!).

Not that I mind solo golf, but when I do it's played at an even more relaxed pace than competition golf! And people who run/cycle are more used to being out on their own I guess. But in the interest of competitiveness I think this would make an interesting foursomes match format. 4 lads/lassies pelting it around the place hitting alternate shots, you could agree on gimmies within a putter length too and boot it round in no time, plus you'd have a chance to catch your breath as your buddy plays, while theres an opportunity to be ahead of the play and means youll be at your budddies shot by the time he's repaired his divot. All good fun.

I could get on board with this!

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
We're going to introduce a pairs format with alternate shots soon.

It's so quick it flies by - the solitary aspect is a question we get but there's good social before and after (subject to who you're with) and because it's so quick, you're concentrating on your next shot, your next score and where to put your bag to save extra running. Competition aspect is always there in terms of both time and score.

We're building an app which will help your measure your time and score performance against others on the course, or previous rounds by yourself or friends so you'll still have a target and will see how you're getting on in real time

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I attended the speedgolf trial last night at Laleham Golf Club. Going in with an open mind I had no idea how demanding it is to run, carry a bag and compose yourself before every shot. However, I really enjoyed it and felt like I had a good workout whilst still knocking a ball around a course. It was amazing that I only had one 3-putt given that you have no time to line up, no practice swings etc.

Laleham is a very flat course and playing off the yellows the 9 holes I played measured out at 2,800 yards. The estimated running distance is over 2 miles which I managed in 32 minutes - the best time on the night was 27 minutes from memory. However, after a 7 on the par 5 first where i struggled to compose myself before each shot (rushing) I played the 9 holes in 40 which I was pleased with for a course I had never played and only carrying 7 clubs.

I will definitely be trying it again, some good guys were taking part and its very much an encouraging rather than competitive atmosphere - although everyone wants to do well! Worth a try if you have a basic fitness level and want to try something different.

Finally, many thanks to Dom and Nick for the trial, I will definitely be playing again when the dates suit and will keep an eye out for the next sessions.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I attended the speedgolf trial last night at Laleham Golf Club. Going in with an open mind I had no idea how demanding it is to run, carry a bag and compose yourself before every shot. However, I really enjoyed it and felt like I had a good workout whilst still knocking a ball around a course. It was amazing that I only had one 3-putt given that you have no time to line up, no practice swings etc.

Laleham is a very flat course and playing off the yellows the 9 holes I played measured out at 2,800 yards. The estimated running distance is over 2 miles which I managed in 32 minutes - the best time on the night was 27 minutes from memory. However, after a 7 on the par 5 first where i struggled to compose myself before each shot (rushing) I played the 9 holes in 40 which I was pleased with for a course I had never played and only carrying 7 clubs.

I will definitely be trying it again, some good guys were taking part and its very much an encouraging rather than competitive atmosphere - although everyone wants to do well! Worth a try if you have a basic fitness level and want to try something different.

Finally, many thanks to Dom and Nick for the trial, I will definitely be playing again when the dates suit and will keep an eye out for the next sessions.

Cool! Glad it went well, no harm in having additional options for folks to get out and play, not to mind the revenue, we all need our beloved clubs to stay open for those lazy 5 hour Sunday rounds ;)

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Foliage finder. If you can visit greenrunner.club/join and let me know your e-mail as well as the rest of your M25 postcode, I'll get you on the mailing list. Manchester very much on our radar

Just signed up now. Should I PM you my email address or can you identify me from the postcode I entered on your site?

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks Ade. Great to meet you and thanks for coming along to try it. Your new "course record" stood until the end of the evening when one of the last guys teed off for 9 holes. Your score of 72.04 (40 shot, 32m 04 secs) was a great start. As you say, shame about the 7 on the first hole.
The winning score of 70.24 set a new GreenRunner course record consisting of 40 shots and 29m 24seconds. Dave Blackie did it - so it proves it's not about fitness, but it helps.

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
PS - 18 hole record set of 136.40 - 78 shots and 58 minutes 40 seconds. Chap who did it for the first time plays off 1 - handy, and runs like a gazelle - even handier!

thepodgster

Head Pro
Visit site
I think this is a brilliant concept and yes it may not be to the liking of all golfers it could actually increase the numbers that take up the sport as you open this up to a whole new cohort as it will capture those that enjoy doing phys as well.

Unfortunately it is a bit to far to travel, but good luck and if i am down south I will attempt to make it for a Thursday!

Good luck with this

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pipped at the post! To be honest I was just happy to get round without disgracing myself...

That 18 hole record is seriously impressive 💪🏻

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Hi podgster, if you let us know your email and postcode at GreenRunner.club/join, we can match your location up with others to find a course. As a pro, what's your course. Would be delighted to see if we can do something

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Blade player - always did football with golf on the side. A couple of big injuries did for me too. Now it's just time against me on the golf side.
GAA looks brilliant - love watching it when I can find it. More physical than football isn't it?

Sorry for late reply , have been on holidays , yea played by athletes who are men & amateurs to boot .

Good look with venture , update us on how it goes ,

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Any of you out there wanting to give speedgolf a go, we've got 3 new Thursday night sunset speedgolf events at Laleham Golf Club, Surrey, on 13th, 20th and 27th August.
And we've also got breakfast speedgolf sessions on Sat 22nd & 29th August at the wonderful Windlesham Golf Club near Bagshot.
www.greenrunner.club/book for more details