Invitation to GM forum readers: free round of speedgolf - 18th Jun, Surrey

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Evening all

as a dad of 2 under 5s who struggles to get the time to play anymore and sees my handicap worsening, former head of marketing at Callaway, and general sports nut, I'm introducing the new concept of speedgolf through my business, www.greenrunner.club. I'll happily extend the offer of a free trial session to any of you. Our first is at Laleham Golf Club, Chertsey, Surrey on Thursday 18th June, with another to follow on Thurs 2nd July.

I love golf and I love the time on the course with mates or in competition, but I just can't spare the time anymore. I've seen loads of friends drift to running, cycling, triathlon and Tough Mudder leaving their sticks in the garage because they couldn't get the time to play.

I know any of the following thoughts might bring violent disagreement from many of you - running on the course, having less time on the course, not playing a true round of golf, not playing to the proper rules - but myself and many friends are at the point where we'd rather get on the course somehow, rather than not at all, so that in a few years time, I've had the chance to keep my eye in and I can get my kids into it knowing that I can still hit the ball.

I'm not going to try the big sell, but I'd love to you invite you to try it for FREE. Many of the guys who've already tried it now love it because they keep their eye in and it gives them a different challenge.
It's not for everyone, but there are many of you who I'm sure would love it. My short game is so much better because of it since you don't have time to think.

To pre-empt questions/criticisms:
  • You have a max of 7 clubs
  • You combine the time taken to run the course with your total shots (e.g. 85 shots plus 75 minutes 13 seconds = speedgolf score of 160.13)
  • You can putt with the flag in
  • You can wear trainers - these do less damage to the course than spiked golf shoes)
  • You tee off as an individual, 4 minutes apart - you shout "Coming through" if you catch someone, and the person ahead has to move aside
  • GreenRunner works with the course to clear it so you don't catch up with normal golfers
  • We clear the course on quiet nights to help drive visitors/revenue to clubs
  • Our sessions are in the evening
  • You can easily do 18 holes in 80 minutes

I expect a barrage of "No thanks", "WTFs" and worse but hopefully a few curious questions too. Equally, you're welcome to come and try especially if you're struggling for time due to work/kids/both/other and just crave getting on the course.
If you don't live nearby, let me know your postcode and I can keep you updated when we set up further locations.

Cheers

Dom, GreenRunner co-founder

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sounds different!

On the "coming through" part, I imagine that this could be a bit open to interpretation and there might also be people who are so in the "speed zone" that they hit into the players in front without realizing, has anybody been injured/hit by a golf ball while playing?

G

guest100718

A bit far away forr me, but i'd maybe give it a go if it were nearer. perhaps over 9 holes at first.....I fear your thread will vanish soon but all the best with your efforts.

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Crow.
No one at all - because you tee off 4 minutes apart, it's about 1-1.5 holes gap between players. There's no more risk of being hit than in a normal round.
For practice sessions, it's about maintaining a standard of play and players get penalised shots if they're seen not moving aside if "Coming Through" is called. In competitions, there will be marshals on each hole to check if people move aside/don't.

In the USA, they shout "fore" to tell a player to move aside. Even more confusing, so we've changed that for UK.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
This sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm in Manchester so a bit too far away. Add me to the list of future notifcations! Postcode is M25, and I know Prestwich GC are doing FootGolf at the moment, so they may be open to these sort of fun new initiatives to widen participation.

Keep me updated! :thup:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting concept and I wish you the best of luck with it. It isn't for me but I'm sure there's a group it does appeal to. I'm not a fitness guy and don't have the family responsibilities that you do, so am happy to play golf the old fashioned way!

It seems odd to me that folk would drift from golf to running cycling and in particular triathalons because of time constraints when those sports take up a fairly significant amount of time. I think there are probably other push/pull factors. As for the danger aspect, I think you take your life in your hands a lot more when you run or cycle on the roads, this is a far safer alternative!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
These two points are the ones that jump out to me ...

• GreenRunner works with the course to clear it so you don't catch up with normal golfers
  • We clear the course on quiet nights to help drive visitors/revenue to

Clearing the course, so that you don't catch up .... how far does someone have to be in front to be considered our of range of someone running?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best of Luck with the venture mate

I took up golf coz i couldnt run anymore tho ,(unfit soccer & gaa injuries) so not for me but all the best in trying something new

Last edited:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds like a great idea. I'd definitely give this a go sometime. Bit like the introduction of 20/20 cricket.

I'm sure this will be huge given time.

V

vkurup

Chertsey is not far from my neck of the woods.. I like the idea, but I wont be giving this a go...

my reasoning is very simple.. Running
1) I cant run anymore due to a heel injury - thats why I moved from cricket to golf in the first place.
2) Even if I could run, i dont think my body shape (and those of many of my fellow golfers) is very suitable for running. Looking at the golfing demographics - middle aged, a few extra pints and a social round - it is difficult to see the take up. So running about 4 miles with a club set is an uphill task.

However, if you can get a buggy then it is a different situation. I played in Malaysia many years ago and we had Quad bikes as golf buggies. It was epic day out - just dont remember any golf but loved going up and down the hills in the quads. Now that is speed golf in my world.. any takers?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chertsey is not far from my neck of the woods.. I like the idea, but I wont be giving this a go...

my reasoning is very simple.. Running
1) I cant run anymore due to a heel injury - thats why I moved from cricket to golf in the first place.
2) Even if I could run, i dont think my body shape (and those of many of my fellow golfers) is very suitable for running. Looking at the golfing demographics - middle aged, a few extra pints and a social round - it is difficult to see the take up. So running about 4 miles with a club set is an uphill task.

However, if you can get a buggy then it is a different situation. I played in Malaysia many years ago and we had Quad bikes as golf buggies. It was epic day out - just dont remember any golf but loved going up and down the hills in the quads. Now that is speed golf in my world.. any takers?

I'm hardly svelte and gazelle-like, but am curious to see how I will fare over 9 holes to start with. If I make it, I will report back - otherwise add me to the crocks list with a coronary.

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Foliage finder. If you can visit greenrunner.club/join and let me know your e-mail as well as the rest of your M25 postcode, I'll get you on the mailing list. Manchester very much on our radar

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Curls - certainly a few other factors involved. Time taken for a round is the big one. Time required for a quick run/ride is must shorter so appeals. Agree that for a big triathlon there's lots of time involved.
Other factors are the community factor, comparing stats/routes/performance which drives people on, convenience of being able to run/ride almost anywhere and also the tech/equipment factor. Similar to golf and lots to spend on for those with a bit of spare ash.

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Love the thought of quad bikes. Have you seen golfboard.com - very different and a bit of fun.

Agree with you on the middle aged demographic - so it appeals to a slightly younger age group especially mid 20s, a group that is just not getting into golf at all at the moment
. Sorry to hear about the heel injury - ouch. I stopped playing cricket to play golf because I couldn't find/wasn't "allowed" the full day. That's changed again with kids

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Good point Mitchell89. Divots is less of an issue, but we dock people points for unraked bunkers & pitch marks not repaired. Time taken to do it is much less than the 1 point/minute penalty you get.
Making sure the course is the same as we left it is a big priority for us and the players.

Dom Warne

Hacker
Visit site
Matts1984 - if you fancy letting us know your e-mail address and postcode at www.greenrunner.club/join, we can keep you uptodate when we start up at locations closer to you. If your postcode matches up with many of our "members", more likely to work with a course near to you. Thanks for the feedback