Premium Driver Fitting @ Golf Principles

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I would put some numbers up for those who are interested.

Shot 4 is is the one I would like to bottle! So close to 100mph!! (I've never seen 100 on a sim before).

The spin numbers are so low and that is evident on course. It just ignores the wind and rolls out like crazy.

I have had to peg this driver up higher than my previous one to get a good launch but once I started to do that the low spin makes for a really long ball.

I have just had a look back at some numbers with my old driver and the magic number is an average of 21 yards of carry longer. Interestingly I am swinging it about 1.5 mph average quicker.

It's an unspectacular flight that looks short from the tee but when I walk to the ball it's been shockingly longer.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Interesting stats, they still look to back up the TM loft up marketing when they were stating that 17* was the optimum launch height, that coupled with low spin looking at those stats seems to still support that theory, more so, if you remove the 1st stat which is the runt of the litter which you knobbed to a degree, that would add another 0.5 to the average launch angles more towards that golden 17*.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting stats, they still look to back up the TM loft up marketing when they were stating that 17* was the optimum launch height, that coupled with low spin looking at those stats seems to still support that theory, more so, if you remove the 1st stat which is the runt of the litter which you knobbed to a degree, that would add another 0.5 to the average launch angles more towards that golden 17*.

Yep, the campaign was 1700 rpm and 17* launch. The difference with the M1 is that I am close to that with an 8.5* head.

I'm more like 1600,16 but I had just done a full gap test so a little out of puff.

Looks like TM just found better ways to get the launch than loft. All just evaluation.

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are superb spin numbers. were they higher with different shafts?

Yep, I never mentioned this in the original write up but he gave me combos of head and shaft that destroyed my numbers. It was interesting how poor things could get when the wrong combo was in my hands. Like 210 carry with 5k spin.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep, I never mentioned this in the original write up but he gave me combos of head and shaft that destroyed my numbers. It was interesting how poor things could get when the wrong combo was in my hands. Like 210 carry with 5k spin.

Wow. What was that? a 12 degree head and wet spaghetti shaft?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow. What was that? a 12 degree head and wet spaghetti shaft?

More like where in the shaft the weight and flex is. As I understand it the shaft does not have that much performance differential in it, loft is far better at changing spin and launch. It's how the shaft makes you perform. So if the weight and flex are in the optimum places for you, you will be comfortable loading it and promote more optimum launch conditions.

Shaft performance alone is maybe worth 500 rpm
Moveable head weights alone maybe 2-500 rpm left, right and back
Loft maybe 3-500 rpm per degree

Dial all that in and give them a shaft that has weight and flex in the butt, mid and tip to the optimum for that player.

Total flex and total weight are perhaps less relevant than placement of weight and flex through out the shaft length.

The Veylix in my hybrid does not even have a stated total flex.

Last edited:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Impressive.

That's more carry than I can get (by a decent but) but with a slower swing speed......

Been trying to talk myself out of a driver fitting aswell :rofl:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Impressive.

That's more carry than I can get (by a decent but) but with a slower swing speed......

Been trying to talk myself out of a driver fitting aswell :rofl:

Thanks, I think that's me all in unless my SS goes up and that's not likely. I'll work to move that average up more towards the better ones and try and straighten it up a touch.

What speed you swinging it at? What you carrying it? What driver you using?

D

Deleted member 1740

Thanks, I think that's me all in unless my SS goes up and that's not likely. I'll work to move that average up more towards the better ones and try and straighten it up a touch.

What speed you swinging it at? What you carrying it? What driver you using?

Jocko's way too modest to tell you the truth but it's usually about 120mph, 290 yards and the driver varies from day to day :thup:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice figures. How is the new driver going out on the course. Sounds like it was a great purchase

Just not getting out on course enough! Nice fun thing happen with it like, I miss hit or align badly, blast it at a bunker in my range and upon arrival at the scene I've carried said bunker.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jocko's way too modest to tell you the truth but it's usually about 120mph, 290 yards and the driver varies from day to day :thup:

I would dearly love to create speed like that!!! I foresee a driver fitting in Jocko's future. Sounds like there is some chips left in the stack that need pushing into the pot.

t0m

Head Pro
Visit site
I disagree with some of the comets about hacks or poor swings I know a guy who hits a massive left to right. He has to aim really left he dosent work on it as it would ruin his game and he knows where it's going if he had the cash to buy a club that would fix it for him he would snap it up

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would dearly love to create speed like that!!! I foresee a driver fitting in Jocko's future. Sounds like there is some chips left in the stack that need pushing into the pot.

Don't listen to Stu, I'm a bit of a peashooter really....

Using the Nike Vapor Pro, got a G25 aswell but that spins loads into the wind.

There's a place in the NW that's similar to where you got fitted (Tour X Golf) so think I might treat myself to a trip there in the new year :thup:

D

Deleted member 1740

Don't listen to Stu, I'm a bit of a peashooter really....

Using the Nike Vapor Pro, got a G25 aswell but that spins loads into the wind.

There's a place in the NW that's similar to where you got fitted (Tour X Golf) so think I might treat myself to a trip there in the new year :thup:

See what I mean :whistle: