Premium Driver Fitting @ Golf Principles

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That is what I did with that set of data.

Was thinking that. Your strikes must also be pretty spot on too. Centre to higher up on the face to get those sparkling spin figures.

Watched a couple of m1 fittings on YouTube last night and no one was getting near your spin numbers. one guy was hitting 1.5 down and getting 3200rpm. Granted his total was 305 but he could get loads more out of it. Launch wasn't a patch on yours either.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was thinking that. Your strikes must also be pretty spot on too. Centre to higher up on the face to get those sparkling spin figures.

Watched a couple of m1 fittings on YouTube last night and no one was getting near your spin numbers. one guy was hitting 1.5 down and getting 3200rpm. Granted his total was 305 but he could get loads more out of it. Launch wasn't a patch on yours either.

Yep, closed set of data, in doors, no pro or computer operator, no weather. Took my time, all out the top centre of the club off a tall orange tee peg.

Very low loft does help keep the spin down and I have never overly had an issue launching the ball with any club.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

lol, er.............now then, how can I put it............

yes its a deep face very similar to the Titleist's drivers years ago (905 I think) it's also smaller cc wise 450, very black, and very different looking, so I had a lesson on Wednesday, hadn't hit it as yet, so my pro was really taken with it, so I tee'd it up, gave it a whack, the GC2 showed good club head speed, very low spin rate 1400, but a very low right to left ball flight that didn't get above 10ft :rofl:
2nd shot, exactly the same :mad:
My pro said he wanted to try and busted it 260 carry down the middle with 3yard of draw:confused: I could hear alarm bells ringing after another try and similar shot........ Oh gawd £153 head with a £300-400 shaft glued in and can't get it off the tee peg.

Finally, ball in the air with 245 carry. So I went and played 9 holes in very windy conditions one day calm the next and Game Golf says I'm averaging 262 yards which in these conditions I'll accept. I hit about 2-3 shots per tee when I played and again some low hook ones but when I do get one, it goes... The sound is a little loud then what I'm used to and its 45" long so I'm thinking of cutting it down to 44". So after 27 holes using it, the Jury is still out at the moment but I think I just need a little moraae time with it and experimentation. I suppose that's the beauty of trying it out before you buy, cos if I tried this combo out I'd of put it back on the rack after 3 shots....... But I'm determined to get it to work Alex.

Last edited:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eeek. Not enough launch for the spin? Is the shaft heavy?

What would you expect to carry it?

Yeah think launch angle is negative 1 right now :rofl:
the shaft is 75g which is no different from my Wishon driver and Mizzy MP630 and I get about 12 -14* launch angle with them. But both are at 44" long.

Normally id carry 245-250 and get 270 out of it, at the end of the season both Wishon and Mizzy were showing 270 & 271 according to game golf.

Its like most new clubs you need a little time to adjust to the feel and playability of it. If time shows it's no good then I've got an exotic driver to add to my driver collection. :mmm:

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
After reading the reviews from Alex etc and after getting feedback from members of my club who have used Jason, I decided to pop up to Golf Principles for a fitting yesterday.

First off I hit a few shots with the irons (which I am very happy with) and thankfully he agreed that they were a good fit for me. I have had them nearly 2 years and they are long overdue a loft and lie check, Jason checked a couple of irons which were not far off, on my next visit I will get them all checked and adjusted, fortunately he will do it while I wait which is convenient as I live 1 hour away!

Next up was hybrid, I recently bought a Titleist 816 H2 hybrid with Rogue Silver shaft which was obviously a bad fit for me as the distance gap from good and bad strikes was around 30 yards, also I have always got the destructive hook in there somewhere. It was narrowed down to Veylix Rome and Accra FX shafts, both felt so much better than the rogue, about the same weight but much more stable and dispersion/distances were very good, decided on the Accra in the end.

Then we looked at driver, currently have 913 D3 with proforce v2, feels very boardy but generally goes ok, but I do have a low hook and high right shot in there.The numbers showed that it was hard work for me to hit it consistently, a lot were out of the heel with negative AOA. I tried a few heads and shafts, after a while we found the the M1 with some kind of Matrix Speed Rulz shaft felt really good, clubhead speed increased, positive AOA, launch was about 12/13 with spin around 2000 which seemed good to me, I just felt like I could go after it and when I didn't get the strike, the misses were a lot tighter. Very happy with that.

We then looked at the fairway wood, I currently have Rbz stage 2 with proforce v2, 14.5 degree. I have developed a poor technique with the 3 wood, a sweeping motion trying to get the ball in the air. Jason gave me a 16 deg with 3 different shafts which felt good but I was still struggling Technique. I have been swinging the 3 wood like the driver so got to work on hitting down on the ball, basically my AOA was zero whereas it needs to be -2.5. So that's a WIP and will go back after working on that.

So once the hybrid and driver shafts arrive I will go back to collect, and Jason will help me adjust settings etc to ensure the best possible set up. He also mentioned that we may need to tip the driver shaft slightly.

Overall a fantastic experience and going forward I will not be buying clubs off the shelf again, it has been a real eye opener that the stock shaft offerings are not right for everyone and if you are serious about finding the right club then you need to look past the free stock shaft offerings.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great review, sounds like great fun.

I did not try the Accra hybrid shaft as the Veylix was so good for me. Or if I did I don't recall.

It's crazy how when you get to where Jason is going you end up with a club in your hand that you just feel so strong and confident with hu?

Photos when they arrive please!

merv79

Head Pro
Thanks Alex, I believe the Accra hybrid shaft was 200 series like your driver shaft (the red one!).

Totally agree with what you say, the stability you feel with these shafts is very different to what I have experienced before.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great write up. Our +3 guy goes there and gets fitted for everything. He cannot praise the place high enough, he says they hAve virtually every shaft and head that is on the market.

oktibbeha

Visit site
Alex1975,

Curious about your numbers with this driver combo. I have the shaft in another head. Swing speed, angle of attack, carry, total distance. You have any of that information? By the way, nice set of sticks.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alex1975,

Curious about your numbers with this driver combo. I have the shaft in another head. Swing speed, angle of attack, carry, total distance. You have any of that information? By the way, nice set of sticks.

Hi oktibbeha, Post 164 above I have posted some GC2 numbers, no AoA on it, I am usually +1/-1 ish. Everything else you could want it on there.

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I have to say I think this thread is great... Has anyone had an iron or full bag fitting here ? I'm staying in reading for two weeks in a month so may go and take a look...

merv79

Head Pro
I haven't had an iron fitting as such but I know people who have, he has all the gear and knows his stuff, so I don't think you will go wrong!

Fortunately he said that my irons are the correct fit for me, he just helped with loft and lie adjustments.

With regards to driver numbers, If I remember correctly the ideal is around 12 deg launch and under 2500 spin, and positive AOA to increase distance and efficiency.

Interesting to note that -5 vs +5 AOA at 105mph clubhead speed produces nearly 30 yards carry difference.