Premium Driver Fitting @ Golf Principles

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got an email from American Golf offering me free golf balls. The condition being that you try out the irons. The guy in the store knows about my search for the perfect driver and said that I needed to try the M1. My response was I don't need one, I got a G30 and it's perfect. My god! I can see why you bought the M1. I am not a Taylor Made fan but that club is tremendous! Anyone want to buy a g30 LS Tec from me? If you can stretch to £400 so it buys me the M1 that would be great!

That club has brought my spin down hugely, gave me an extra 20 yards (on the computer) and a nice controlled draw. The guy said to me to really hit it, don't hold back and it will stay on the fairway. I was sceptical but it was immense!

Most fun I have had swinging a driver in a long time, have fun with it Alex. Jealous doesn't begin to describe me right now!

Wow you sound hooked. Funny, the same was said to me "really go at it!!" The LS Tech is meant to be a great bit of kit so I am surprised that the M1 spins so much less for you.

I am off back to Golf Principles on Monday afternoon for a new hybrid. Cant wait!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wow you sound hooked. Funny, the same was said to me "really go at it!!" The LS Tech is meant to be a great bit of kit so I am surprised that the M1 spins so much less for you.

I am off back to Golf Principles on Monday afternoon for a new hybrid. Cant wait!

I think I may be hooked on it! The LS is great so I am sure I will stick with it but the M1 may linger in my wishlist for a while.

Good luck with the hybrid! Irons next......

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
View attachment 17194

Come to meeeeeeee coooommmmme too meeeeee
close your eyezzzzzzth an come toooo meeeeee

jungle-book-kaa-hypnotized_zpsordjl9pj.gif

Trust in me.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
And what's the latest update. How is the new beast going?

Thought I would wait a few more outings before saying much more but the short answer is good :D

I have been back to Golf Principles today for a hybrid fitting. I'll drop some pics and specs in here tomorrow.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
image.jpg

Well this shaft sitting at home waiting to be put into this head when it arrives (ordered today)

image.jpgimage.png

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
So back for my hybrid fitting yesterday. A much easier process as A) because Jason knew what he wanted for me and B) I was smashing the ball long hard and straight.

All the usual suspects were tried from a head point of view. The Taylormade M1 head is a lovely shape with its cut off nose but as soon as you put it down by the ball there is just nothing of it! A tiny blade length. I hit it well but was well aware that in the long run I would not look on it with confidence. The other thing that I liked but did not go for was the Parsons (PXG) head, not as small as the TM M1 but littleish and hugely expensive.

Shafts were in and out of my hands. Looking for something mid heavy with a strong tip. He likes me to have something I can really pull on as with the club being behind me he wants me to know for sure where it is so that I can give it a rip. I saw a Fujikura Pro (blue), A really special Paderson shaft that is woven together in a spiral rather than laid over a mandrel, A tour spec Proforce VTS (I think) and a few more.

I ended up with a very special Veylix Rome 988. Its about 88.5 grams and very robust. This is your premium premium stuff. It uses 40 ton carbon thread where most other shafts are 18-24 ton. Veylix are a company started by some ex Matrix guys who have gone out on there own.

The shaft I tried was all chrome colour but the one I will own is a one off colour scheme. Purple on one side and blue on the other.

The head is the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 18* set to 17*. It has a nice deep face for all sorts of lies and a reasonable sized head.

The Head

The shaft I used

The shaft I am getting (same shaft, different colour)

This thing is a cannon and I nearly swung it as fast as my driver. I am exceptionally excited to receive it!

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
All sounds good again fella, although those shaft details went way over my head. Would love to have a go down there, but if I leave Yorkshire I get cold sweats.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
All sounds good again fella, although those shaft details went way over my head. Would love to have a go down there, but if I leave Yorkshire I get cold sweats.

Ye, detail is there for interest. For sure cutting the the quick it's about shaft weight and where that weight is in the shaft. The results can be shocking.

Yorkshire is its own country like Texas isn't it?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ohh Lovely exotic stuff! You using a 75X? Or is that just the pic you could find?

It's a 75 but noooooooo X for me, just a normal S I'm afraid, not seen your other posts with the Veylix shafts but That purple Roma 988 i couldn't hit that and you say I'm exotic? that is just blinging gorgeous shaft.