Premium Driver Fitting @ Golf Principles

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It would be interesting to see what the manufacturers think although I think retailers are going to be reluctant to be selling just heads and have to carry a larger number of shafts that may or may not get taken up

D

Deleted member 1740

It would be interesting to see what the manufacturers think although I think retailers are going to be reluctant to be selling just heads and have to carry a larger number of shafts that may or may not get taken up

Surely they could have reg/stiff/ head only option?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
But the point I saw, "It is silly money, I am a handicap golfer, for most it’s not worth it but this is what I wanted to do and was a gift" was telling and yes it's a lot of dough for possibly limited return but I still think he'll get a degree of pleasure from it and I doubt it'll actually put his driving back

Thanks Homer, it's 100% this.

@Three. I have absolutely no expectations at all. Face/path/AoA and centre strike are King. I was hooking because I come way from the inside, get a little stuck and in resquing that I shut the head down. It's way less likely to happen on course than in a contrived situation, it's been the case for a long time but.... It's functional. No club in the world will hold the face open for me, I've not met a coach who can stop me getting on the inside. Maybe I have a tool that at the very least will aid my compensation. 100% better wedge play will give me lower scores than this but better wedge play or the time to get better with my wedge play is not something my father can purchase for me for my 40th birthday, I wish!

I used to race karts, a set of wet tyres at the time was £120 and they lasted an hour. The engine rebuilds were every 3 races and were way north of a set of boots.

One fine day I shall rip a driver down the first and it will blow my mind, it will fill me with joy and that night I will relive it.... Priceless.

It is just a toy though :D

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Homer, it's 100% this.

@Three. I have absolutely no expectations at all. Face/path/AoA and centre strike are King. I was hooking because I come way from the inside, get a little stuck and in resquing that I shut the head down. It's way less likely to happen on course than in a contrived situation, it's been the case for a long time but.... It's functional. No club in the world will hold the face open for me, I've not met a coach who can stop me getting on the inside. Maybe I have a tool that at the very least will aid my compensation. 100% better wedge play will give me lower scores than this but better wedge play or the time to get better with my wedge play is not something my father can purchase for me for my 40th birthday, I wish!

I used to race karts, a set of wet tyres at the time was £120 and they lasted an hour. The engine rebuilds were every 3 races and were way north of a set of boots.

One fine day I shall rip a driver down the first and it will blow my mind, it will fill me with joy and that night I will relive it.... Priceless.

It is just a toy though :D

I'll miss the green with my wedge and make bogey but I won't relive that bit that night.....😀

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't know what financial implications it would have on the manufacturer's to do that, but if you look at the JPX driver for example, the stock shafts seem to be poor in performance against upgraded shafts.

That driver was already £350 so add another £100 minimum for a proper shaft and you're talking a monkey for a driver.

I wonder the next time GM do a Q&A with a manufacturer this question could be asked because I'd like to know.

If the M1 head for example was £200 then a big collection of shafts at various prices or head only I think they would shift more units

I reckon those sort of fits aren't far away

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If the M1 head for example was £200 then a big collection of shafts at various prices or head only I think they would shift more units

Can't see manufactures wanting to do this... they make a more from selling the complete club.

Love to be able to just but one or the other of the shelf at a reasonable price and not the arm and a leg that gets charged at the moment

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I say fair play Alex, fill yer boots :thup:

With what I have read, and I have followed it from the start, it's not just about the end material result of owning the club that has hopefully, through an in-depth fitting session been matched as closely as possible and more-so than what many other fitters could offer in the general mainstream where we all have to go, this was as much if not more about the whole experience of going through that process as we all know Alex is a bit of a shaft geek, in a nice way :smirk:

I've just thought back on how many bags I've owned to date since starting to play around 5 years ago, it's been 7 and adds up to £735 :eek: So, based on the same thought process, if I had forked out £300 for a top of the range all singing bag at the start which many on here would say is mad, I'd have saved £435.00, I'm sure if some of you who buy new putters or drivers on a regular basis searching for the holy grail it would end up exceeding whatever Alex has paid out not only for the actual upgraded driver but the great experience he experienced, so, I think it was good money well spent for someone who has more of an interest in the mechanics of shafts than most of us do and it will offer him an amazing amount of confidence knowing the process he went through to have it built and then own it.

If you afford the best then buy once :thup:

D

Deleted member 1740

If you look at the amount of drivers TM sell the cost of their stock shafts is probably peanuts compared to the aftermarket shafts.

Shafts are no different to any other items like watches etc , you'll always have a budget, mid and high end range.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I say fair play Alex, fill yer boots :thup:

With what I have read, and I have followed it from the start, it's not just about the end material result of owning the club that has hopefully, through an in-depth fitting session been matched as closely as possible and more-so than what many other fitters could offer in the general mainstream where we all have to go, this was as much if not more about the whole experience of going through that process as we all know Alex is a bit of a shaft geek, in a nice way :smirk:

I've just thought back on how many bags I've owned to date since starting to play around 5 years ago, it's been 7 and adds up to £735 :eek: So, based on the same thought process, if I had forked out £300 for a top of the range all singing bag at the start which many on here would say is mad, I'd have saved £435.00, I'm sure if some of you who buy new putters or drivers on a regular basis searching for the holy grail it would end up exceeding whatever Alex has paid out not only for the actual upgraded driver but the great experience he experienced, so, I think it was good money well spent for someone who has more of an interest in the mechanics of shafts than most of us do and it will offer him an amazing amount of confidence knowing the process he went through to have it built and then own it.

If you afford the best then buy once :thup:

Thanks mate, and might I say how nice your swing is looking in slow motion on Rick or Pete`s channel! Were those boys fun to play with?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
The manufactures can buy stock shafts for about 60p, sell us a driver for whatever retail is. Lets say the driver is £400, they will not be selling a head for £200 as they are selling us the 60p shaft for £200.... total £400.....

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure if some of you who buy new putters or drivers on a regular basis searching for the holy grail it would end up exceeding whatever Alex has paid out not only for the actual upgraded driver but the great experience he experienced

Amen brother. I must have spent hundreds (Christ it could easily be four figures) on putters in the last few years when it would arguably have been a better and more enjoyable experience to shell out on a proper fitting at a top end facility.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thanks mate, and might I say how nice your swing is looking in slow motion on Rick or Pete`s channel! Were those boys fun to play with?

Cheers, I've got rid of the bad overswing I had so I have much more control on the clubhead now and everyone who has played with me recently has said how much my overall game has improved, I've been driving the ball very well, obviously there were a few instances on Monday but the conditions were horrid so it was easy to force the odd shot and thus got a bit hooky on a couple of occasions but overall my 32 points (3 blobs) seemed to be a good score on the day.

Peter & Rick were awesome to watch even though they have stated they weren't on form, as I've never been to a Pro comp I suppose these guys are the best I've seen so it was a joy to play amongst and with them, what really stood out was their striking of the ball with the irons, it just fizzed away effortlessly, I was watching every aspect of their games and I'll hope to try some things I spotted and observed on the practice area later today.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had originally intended to use Precision Golf but my contact with them was not satisfactory

Interesting that you said this because I felt the same after walking away from an iron custom fitting session. As soon as he saw I wasn't very good he seemed to lose interest in me very quickly

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that you said this because I felt the same after walking away from an iron custom fitting session. As soon as he saw I wasn't very good he seemed to lose interest in me very quickly

[/COLOR]

Its shame, they clearly have a great situation and new facilities. I called up to ask some questions about the King Cobra Ltd as I was aware it was due for release in the first week of October but wanted to know if they would have demos before hand. The guy I talked to who was one of the partners asked me to email his colleague the other partner as he did not know the answers to my questions. My thought was that he should have taken my details and had his partner call me. Potential customers are gold! So I emailed the other chap who told me he expected it was some time next year and they were all the same anyway. If I know the release date then super sonic industry insiders sure as heck should!!! I cant buy it and sell it as they say.

When I talked to Jason at Golf Principles he knew on the spot that the demos would be in on the 4th, he had tried the products and said they were awesome. I asked if it would be worth waiting a few days so that they were in my line up and he said "you would be a fool not to". We spent as much time on the phone as I needed to and talked like school kits with a new toy about CG and all that geeky stuff. Passion for his chosen products/industry.... It changed my mind on the spot. I was treated as an individual, as a golfer, and felt respected throughout. I like working with passionate no nonsense people!

Last edited:

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
seems like to me the OP has done absolutely the right thing, and has spent his money wisely with the sole intention of maximising his game, and having fun with the thing he likes best in life.
A bit like spending £50 quid on a bottle of wine when "you can get wine for a fiver and it tastes exactly the same", or spending £200 on a meal in a michellin starred restaurant, when you can go to "the restaurant on the high street and get 3 courses for £15", it's all about what makes you happy.
Spend the most you can possibly afford plus a little bit more is my philosophy on life and I promise you'll have the most fun that way!