Premium Driver Fitting @ Golf Principles

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was lucky enough to attend a driver fitting as a gift at Golf Principles yesterday. I had originally intended to use Precision Golf but my contact with them was not satisfactory and with so many cowboys in the golf industry Jason at Golf Principles is a no nonsense breath of fresh air!

The remit was simple. In early 2012 Piece (a forum member here) posted about his premium, money no object driver fitting and it’s taken me until now to make that a reality for myself. It is silly money, I am a handicap golfer, for most it’s not worth it but this is what I wanted to do and was a gift.

My father and I arrived 5 minutes late and Jason the proprietor and equipment guru met me with a warm hand shake and passed me the not yet out King Cobra Ltd heads as he and I had previously chatted about them on the phone with him. Within a moment I was on the matt and hitting shots with my own driver, 3 or 4 good shorts with good numbers too, might as well make him work for it.

For approximately the next 30 minutes activity was frantic. Jason wandered around his studio putting heads and shafts together and passing them to me. I was taking between 1 and 5 shots before he was passing me the next combo. He would occasionally encourage me to “keep going”.

So many clubs came through my hands that I was hardly taking note of what I was hitting but Jason was trying to manage my spin. He remarked that I swing a slightly heavier shaft faster than lighter. I saw the Parsons driver head(£££), lots of Oban shafts, kiyoshi gold being the nicest one of them for me, Speeders Hand rolled PX shafts, and lots more that most people will never have herd of. Both Callaway BB heads, a Srixon, both King Ltd, TM M1 460 & 430 and so on.

I could not see the direction we were going but Jason clearly could. I was hooking the ball more and more but was encouraged to “just keep doing what you do”. He passed me a shaft that he said was robust but had loads of feel. It felt really nasty; if it was robust it was hiding it very well. And then it happened. The next combo was 100% in the other direction, stout shaft that was tip stiff, made a snap at impact with the hideous looking TM M1 460 head and flew straight down the target line. “Keep going”. SNAP down the target line 2 or 3 more times and “That is your honey” Jason said with a little wince on his face. “That shaft has EVERYTHING in it, every technology you can think of” “trouble is it’s a £400 shaft so an £800 driver” – For the first time my father spoke “WHAT”….

Alex “Ok, have you something with this profile that is a little more…..?” Jason “ Ye ye, I am already looking”.

Down comes the Accra FX 260 in 04 Flex (Stiff) and is duly bolted into the M1 head. It feels exactly the same and has exactly the same result, ripped it down the line, great launch, spin and flight. “That’s your new driver”

At this point I was asked about my ball position and my perception of where it was. I was asked to move it forward an inch and not hang back on my right side. I was encouraged to be as aggressive as possible and enjoy myself. I hooked few and was told that I had the tool I needed to no longer try and guard against the hook so to get it out of my head and just go after it down the right side. For the next 5 or 6 minutes I just clobbered them down the target line, Great fun! What Jason had given me was an anti hook aid. The ball will turn over but it’s just a baby draw.

Job done: TaylorMade M1 460 9.5* head set to 8.5 (to open it up a little). Wight set right in the toe and the other set right forward to keep the spin down. Accra FX 260 04 Flex tipped an inch and playing 44.75”. The shaft is a true mid launch, mid spin driver with enough tip to give a little feel but robust to get after it.

Its a pig!! Ugly head with a yellow and red shaft that clashes with the ugly head!

A fantastic experience and I can’t wait for it to arrive!

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 24

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good write up there - did you have a choice on the head, or was the M1 sinply the best for you?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow! Fantastic write up, sounds like an awesome experience. You don't have to justify yourself to me, if you have the money and thats what you want to do with it then fair play. It's too rich for my blood, but fascinating to hear what goes on in a proper driver fitting.

I recently tried all the stock options of the usual suspects at a driving range Direct Golf. I didn't get anything out of any of them that even compared to my G15 so I walked away £350 up (that's how much I'd allowed myself after a few nice wins at the bookies). I'm sure if I went here it would be a different result, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense at this point (there are far more pressing matters in my game I should be working on).

Wish you all the best with it when it turns up, shame you don't love the look of it but if you love the look of what that ball is doing in the distance that's what counts :)

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gareth: No idea mate, you know I am a geek about this stuff but I went through so many combos that I lost track. I also was kinda trying not to look as I wanted it to be a little bit blind. I think I could have started to influence things if I had known more.

ADB: I had no choice about anything, I put it in his hands and I would never had chosen a TaylorMade product by choice but its all about the head shaft combo and I think the fitter needed the sliders to cope with me coming so far from the inside and spinning it up.

Curls: Thanks, its was awesome. Looks mean nothing. My whole bag is ugly at the moment.

Last edited:

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
#envy

Great write up Alex, absolutely the right way to go when spending big money on new kit, may as well make it the best it can be that suits your game.

No excuses now off the tee :)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Awesome stuff. Doesn't need to be pretty to be effective, but I personally love the look of the M1 head. Sounds like an awesome experience, would love to do something similar at some point!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
#envy

Great write up Alex, absolutely the right way to go when spending big money on new kit, may as well make it the best it can be that suits your game.

No excuses now off the tee :)

Hehe, not missed many fairways in weeks..... What can I say, the outgoing driver knew it was under pressure! Played a few weeks back and hit every fairway... :eek:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jason is a good guy. He has lots of cool (and sometimes pricey) kit and knows a lot about how to optimise a players clubs. He fitted me for a 3 wood a couple of years ago and identified a shaft that I probably wouldn't have chosen myself. Still use it, though.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jason is a good guy. He has lots of cool (and sometimes pricey) kit and knows a lot about how to optimise a players clubs. He fitted me for a 3 wood a couple of years ago and identified a shaft that I probably wouldn't have chosen myself. Still use it, though.

What can you tell me about mine Ethan? You usually have a little something something that's not just on Google?!

Yep check Jason out on https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jason+macniven if you want to get down and geeky about golf tech without being lied to.

He quickly made me feel comfortable and allowed me to talk just enough to gain information but not enough to talk crap. Clearly good at what he does!

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds great and the length of the shaft is interesting. I like the idea of going that short but keep hearing about swing weight etc and get put off.

Was swing weight mentioned?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds great and the length of the shaft is interesting. I like the idea of going that short but keep hearing about swing weight etc and get put off.

My driver plays 44.5" and I have noticed how light it is.

May have something to do with the shaft only weighting 52g.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

I previously used a 45" driver anyhow(Titlest standard is 45") so very little difference. He was reticent to hot melt the head for 1\4 of an inch as it can change the CG but would if I wanted. I have done lengthy experiments with swing weight and I am comfortable that removing 1/4 of an inch from what I tested will not be noticeable.

@Three: It's not stupid, I did not mention the price. If you would like to know feel free to PM me but trackman numbers and prices of things tend to spark trouble more than interest. Suffice to say its a lot!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Three: It's not stupid, I did not mention the price. If you would like to know feel free to PM me but trackman numbers and prices of things tend to spark trouble more than interest. Suffice to say its a lot!

Ah OK, I thought the price was part of the story, glad my reading comprehension is not as bad as I thought.

I will no doubt think it's too much but it's all relative, so hope you enjoy the club.

:D

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I previously used a 45" driver anyhow(Titlest standard is 45") so very little difference. He was reticent to hot melt the head for 1\4 of an inch as it can change the CG but would if I wanted. I have done lengthy experiments with swing weight and I am comfortable that removing 1/4 of an inch from what I tested will not be noticeable.

It's your money, spend it on whatever you want.

Sounds like great fun.