Cobra Puma - "Smarter Ways 2018" ......what a day.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
So.....I was the lucky so and so who won one of the places in the GM and Cobra Puma competition " Smarter Ways 2018" . Radbourne2010 won it last year and had a superb experience, and, after yesterday down at Silvermere, i'm sure it will be the same for me. For those that missed MikeH's the post above, basically, Cobra is really pushing innovation this year and the project is to quite simply lower my handicap using the latest Cobra gear and Arccos technology.  

I fought my way for 5 hours down the M6, and , after crashing at a mates house, was just the hour and a half early the following day for my time with the Cobra Puma team and Golf Monthly. I needn't have worried, though, Silvermere is a superb set up and coffee, breakfast and range balls passed the time fairly swiftly.  

Quite a few of you have met and played with me and might know that I've been playing pretty steady for the past few years. However, i've always bounced between a 7 and 8 handicap. My equipment works for me, although having dipped in an out of using custom fit and not custom fit clubs, my clubs were perhaps not optimised. Long story short, after an hour I ended up with : 

- F8 Driver with a stiff Aldila blue shaft. The f8+ went well, but I just preferred the bigger head of the f8. - 250 yards
- F8 3w cranked to a 4w (16 degrees) stiff Aldila blue shaft - 230 yards 
- F8 19 degree hybrid stiff Aldila blue shaft. I love my ZU65 , but just couldn't get the Cobra driving iron going, so ended up with the hybrid which flew superbly. - 215 yards 
- Forged Tour irons (the blades were nice, and tempting) 5-GW with a lite stiff DG shaft,  
- 55 and 60 degree PUR wedges. Irons and wedges were all an inch longer and standard lie. 

The one thing that stood out to me after chopping and changing clubs was that the distances with my current woods and long irons were very similar. Through the fitting, the focus was keen to get the gapping more precise, which we did.  

Being a bit of a club nerd, I was sure that i'd get what suited me best, but the most impressive thing for me on the day was the evolution of the Arccos Technology. Quite simply, it's a phenomenal and simple way of keeping track of all the detail pertaining to the rounds of golf you play. The clubs come with the sensors built into the handle, and, after downloading the app and starting the round, the app automatically knows what club you have hit when, and registers your shots and distance. There is no tagging nor screwing in sensors (apart from the putter). After 5 rounds, the app then gives you your handicap based on each "strokes gained" category (like you see on the PGA tour). A golfer then knows where to focus and structure their practise. It also gives you your average distance for each club. So, as an example, I might be a 4 handicap driver, 6 handicap GIR, and a 9 handicap putting, these numbers obviously change the more rounds you play. The app can even be used as a GPS unit aswell (legal for competition use). I've never been one to keep statistics on my game, but this is really an impressive piece of kit. You can tell Cobra Puma have listened to their customers and are constantly developing this technology to make it more functional and easier to use.  

It was great to meet Peter, the other winner, and I'm looking forward to seeing his handicap tumble this year.
For those still reading, other points of note on the day............. 
- the PWR shoes are really comfy straight out of the box,  
- I'm terrible at interviews in front of a video camera 
- They wont photo shop moobs 
- If my handicap doesn't come down this season, i don't think it ever will.  
- I hate the M6.  

Thanks for reading , and also thanks to GM and Cobra Puma for the opportunity. I'm excited for the season .  

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Good write up fella and hopefully see your handicap go down this year. :thup:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good write up Andy and glad to hear you got picked and enjoyed your experience.

2 things though......................

When are you selling all your other gear and what have you got?

:rofl:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good write up Andy and glad to hear you got picked and enjoyed your experience.

2 things though......................

When are you selling all your other gear and what have you got?

:rofl:

Our kid's already been all over it ...... :rofl:

D

Deleted member 21258

Great write up, are you going to do updates anywhere to follow ?

Also what do you think is letting you down, handicap wise ? Would be interesting to hear if this is then backup by the stats that he cobra clubs will give you.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done for winning, sounds like a great day out with many more to come. Would have loaded to enter myself but couldn't commit to all the dates. Hope to see this work for you and get the handicap lower.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the Arccos Technology; to get all the stats you are talking about do you need to get the Arccos Caddie add on?

I'm rubbish at golf but love a bit of technology lol

edit: Very good informative write up :D

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great write up, are you going to do updates anywhere to follow ?

Also what do you think is letting you down, handicap wise ? Would be interesting to hear if this is then backup by the stats that he cobra clubs will give you.

Thanks Darren, I was thinking how best to do updates. I don't want to sound self indulgent, so will probably do something on a thread here for those who are keen to track progress.

What lets me down (I think) are my short irons, wedges and putting. Quite simply, I don't really make a lot of birdies. I sort of steer it around and am always in and around the buffer zone with a load of bogies and pars. So, I'm consistent, but don't feel I'm improving.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the Arccos Technology; to get all the stats you are talking about do you need to get the Arccos Caddie add on?

no you don`t The arccos system is free for the first year with cobra clubs. and $39.99 per year after that. The caddy feature is around another $50 on top per year.
With a set of 8 irons you get another 6 screw in sensors for your putter and other clubs.
If buy the arccos screw in sensor set the data collection is free for life. As you get the sensors free with cobra clubs and free 1 year access the $39.99 yearly charge is ok.

I have a full set of cobra clubs and have not managed to set them up yet, however customer service is fantastic, when i tried to download my course the app get crashing, i told them and it was fixed the next day. I then downloaded my course and they had the old layout and i emailed them and it was fixed 2 hours later.

Just need to see how it works on the course now.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm actually not 100% sure (i'll find out next week when it arrives and let you know). I think that the Arccos caddie functionality is built into the app.

It's a really funky piece of kit. Andrew from Cobra showed me how, based on the statistics you have built up in the app, it works out your potential score on a hole depending upon what strategy you decide to use. eg, on a par 5, if I hit driver 3w, my projected score might be be 5.2, whereas if I hit 3i, 6i, wedge, it might be 5.9.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Good write up.

You mention you were keen to get the gapping more precise, at first glance there appears to be a big gap between 19 degree hybrid and 5 iron, have you missed some clubs out? Or what was your yardage with the 5 iron?

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm actually not 100% sure (i'll find out next week when it arrives and let you know). I think that the Arccos caddie functionality is built into the app.

It's a really funky piece of kit. Andrew from Cobra showed me how, based on the statistics you have built up in the app, it works out your potential score on a hole depending upon what strategy you decide to use. eg, on a par 5, if I hit driver 3w, my projected score might be be 5.2, whereas if I hit 3i, 6i, wedge, it might be 5.9.

the caddy feature is extra, after 5 rounds you get one free round with the caddy feature which give plays like distances adjusting for slope and wind and club selecction. After that you need to pay for it The other data you talked about like club averages and other statistics about your game and the range finder distances are free for the first year then $39.99 per year

D

Deleted member 1147

Andy, I seem to remember Mark saying that he had to keep his phone in his pocket to make the Arccos system work, which he wasn't too comfy with, is this still the case?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Andy, I seem to remember Mark saying that he had to keep his phone in his pocket to make the Arccos system work, which he wasn't too comfy with, is this still the case?

Hi James, Yes that is the case right now, but they are onto it. A new really small device will be released shortly.