New drivers for 2024

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not sure I am in the market or not but I have been looking at what is released and options.

I currently have an epic speed from 2021, I think.. so its pretty up to date.

This is my takeaway so far …

I was looking at the new Ai smoke - but I keep seeing videos saying it’s good but gives a slower swing speed (!?!) and lower ball speed … so no point to purchase, I want more not less (🤣)

Cobra looks good higher ball and swing speeds

Taylormade Q thingy, similar to Cobra with speed stuff but face looks to have a lot of spin variation

Titleist range due for update later this year or next, I don’t know. However the current model is a bit of a beast and probably the benchmark for these new ones … but I cannot find a comparison ( YouTubers being advertisers and impartial.. hmm)

Anyone tried anything against anything yet?

D

Deleted member 35577

Lots of love for the Ping 430 Max. Bit tinny sounding but if that doesn't bother you the results are excellent. Otherwise the TM QI10 is probably the one to go for out of the latest releases.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My local Ping fitter has hit the G430 10k alongside the Max and he can't see a difference...
Q10 LS seems to be too LS for it's own good...even Rory's not using it...
AI Smoke seems a bit marmite..some love it, others are a bit Meh..
Mizuno ST230 Max is getting a bit of love.....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not sure I am in the market or not but I have been looking at what is released and options.

I currently have an epic speed from 2021, I think.. so its pretty up to date.

This is my takeaway so far …

I was looking at the new Ai smoke - but I keep seeing videos saying it’s good but gives a slower swing speed (!?!) and lower ball speed … so no point to purchase, I want more not less (🤣)

Cobra looks good higher ball and swing speeds

Taylormade Q thingy, similar to Cobra with speed stuff but face looks to have a lot of spin variation

Titleist range due for update later this year or next, I don’t know. However the current model is a bit of a beast and probably the benchmark for these new ones … but I cannot find a comparison ( YouTubers being advertisers and impartial.. hmm)

Anyone tried anything against anything yet?

My fitting got it down to 3 clubs

Ping 430 lst 10.5 degree (didn't have the 9.5 head available)

Mizuno ST G 9.5 degree

Titliest tsr3 9 degree

I then got it between the ping and the titliest

Titliest was average of 20 yards longer (mainly the loft) but also straighter

So I got that

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My fitting got it down to 3 clubs

Ping 430 lst 10.5 degree (didn't have the 9.5 head available)

Mizuno ST G 9.5 degree

Titliest tsr3 9 degree

I then got it between the ping and the titliest

Titliest was average of 20 yards longer (mainly the loft) but also straighter

So I got that
TSR3 is the one that’s on my radar, precision golf are putting a lot of consistent golfers into the head as it is offering ball speed increases. I don’t think it’s so forgiving if you like to explore the face, so perhaps not the one for a newbie or random

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mizuno has not popped onto my radar yet, the Ping is but I am waiting on that I want to see that against the Titleist ..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TSR3 is the one that’s on my radar, precision golf are putting a lot of consistent golfers into the head as it is offering ball speed increases. I don’t think it’s so forgiving if you like to explore the face, so perhaps not the one for a newbie or random

I dunno I'm pretty crap tbh and it's just the low spin that really got me going with it.

Going into wind is a game changer

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dunno I'm pretty crap tbh and it's just the low spin that really got me going with it.

Going into wind is a game changer
Crap is a okay if your consistent with it .. I think the fitters can sort you out.. random crap though is a whole different ball game or blokes like me who will adjust, mitigate and adapt 🤭

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am tempted to go for a fitting with Scot Gourlay In Edinburgh for a driver fitting, but as a play so little now and every time i compare anything to my M2 with white tie shaft nothing comes close

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am tempted to go for a fitting with Scot Gourlay In Edinburgh for a driver fitting, but as a play so little now and every time i compare anything to my M2 with white tie shaft nothing comes close
That’s the thing is it actually worth while. I can keep rotating and minimising my losses by buying 1 year behind etc .. but in the end am I just doing my own game a disservice by constantly changing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That’s the thing is it actually worth while. I can keep rotating and minimising my losses by buying 1 year behind etc .. but in the end am I just doing my own game a disservice by constantly changing
I know but who doesnt like new clubs :LOL:

Ive still got to get shot of the Mizuno driver i got 2 years ago. was playing with TheCraw who had one tried his , was smashing it miles, got the same driver and spec as him, never hit a good shot with it when i got one. only used it a handful of times

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm toying with a booking a trip to Silvermere as my current "gamer" is the orignal rogue.

if i do get a new stick i'd want to get "dialled in" before the summer so i can "golf my ball"

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the idea in my head that I'll do a fitting in late August and get the new driver for my September birthday. That way the prices might have come down and I can get wife and parents to chip in towards it being a birthday present. Just so we don't have to sell one of the cars to pay for one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the idea in my head that I'll do a fitting in late August and get the new driver for my September birthday. That way the prices might have come down and I can get wife and parents to chip in towards it being a birthday present. Just so we don't have to sell one of the cars to pay for one.

Pfft. Sell a kidney first! You have 2 of them

Smoj

Visit site
I am still really enjoying my OG Stealth HD, Recently added a 14g weight in the back which has boosted the MOI quite a bit, it just works great for me, it's been a pleasure stepping up to the tee box since i've been using the Stealth HD, which wasn't the case with a Tsi3...I think my next driver would probably be a Stealth 2 HD (once the prices come down when the QI20 comes out)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never had a taylormade driver .. perhaps I should see if it’s worth it.. but I don’t really want to pay full price for something that has a shelf life of 12 months ..

Smoj

Visit site
I have never had a taylormade driver .. perhaps I should see if it’s worth it.. but I don’t really want to pay full price for something that has a shelf life of 12 months ..
last spring I took a bunch of 2nd hand drivers out for a few rounds when I was looking to replace my Tsi3, needed more forgiveness, so I tried out a Sim OG, Callaway Mavrik, Ping G400, Ping G410, and a Stealth plus and a HD - and the stealth HD was the winner in all departments. shame that when it originally came out there weren't many YouTube reviews of the HD so just had to test it out for myself and was very happy. (the stealth plus+, though, I couldn't hit at all no matter what I did or how I set it up 🤷‍♂️)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I tried the stealth’s back in the summer and no matter what head or shaft we tried I couldn’t get on with it