Tipping Etiquette

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What if the barber gives you great service and you have some quality chat whilst he is cutting your hair? The product is either the meal or hair cut and the wages for waiter/barber are factored into the cost of the product, so just as much reason to tip one as the other.

I quite like my 30 mins of peace whilst getting a hair cut so don’t really engage in chat that much, but I go to the same person all of the time and he knows that so I generally round up and give him the change, which is only and extra pound
I just see it as one haircut. If he talks to me then I talk back, if he doesn't then I'll happily sit there in silence, it really doesn't bother me either way. Certainly don't feel I'd want to pay extra for him to talk to me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't get the food delivered. In these current Covid times you are basically taking food from someone who is another link in the chain and has potentially handled money from people who may unknowingly have the virus. If we want anything from a takeaway, I go and collect it myself. There are enough in my area close enough to make this practical. I'm not taking any chances with my families health.
I was collecting a mcdonald's once and was told to park up and wait. I witnessed a delivery driver get out of his car holding his empty delivery bag in front of him with the lid open. What I saw next has ensured I will never use these companies...... The Dirty git, whilst walking across the car park spat over the bag. I don't mean spat directly on the bag but fired his spit over the top. How much spray would have landed inside the bag!!! ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was collecting a mcdonald's once and was told to park up and wait. I witnessed a delivery driver get out of his car holding his empty delivery bag in front of him with the lid open. What I saw next has ensured I will never use these companies...... The Dirty git, whilst walking across the car park spat over the bag. I don't mean spat directly on the bag but fired his spit over the top. How much spray would have landed inside the bag!!! ?
And that's my point. By using the delivery drivers we are adding a chain into the process of someone who is rushing around like mad trying to get the deliveries in on time. It's going to happen that people will cut corners, disobey the rules, not care. It's a chance I'm not willing to take.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And that's my point. By using the delivery drivers we are adding a chain into the process of someone who is rushing around like mad trying to get the deliveries in on time. It's going to happen that people will cut corners, disobey the rules, not care. It's a chance I'm not willing to take.

What about the restaurant staff who may not wash their hands? Cough in the food etc?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Guess that's what happens when you don't tip the staff and treat them bad ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In this modern age of Just Eat and Deliveroo etc, what is the tipping etiquette?

A couple of the local takeaways deliver, but they're the old school sort where the delivery driver takes the whole payment for the order, so rounding to the nearest £5 or £10 is easy.

With the pay-in-app sort of deliveries do you normally tip in app (assumes you will get decent service and the deliverer actually gets it), tip the deliverer a couple of quid (not sure I have a few quid in cash these days), or just go with the delivery charge?

One thing just eat and deliveroo have I didn't know

Gift vouchers

Just got a couple as a gift one for each

Tonight's and next weekends dinner sorted

Tip using the app for deliveroo just because no cash but I'll getcash for next week