Fishing Tackle Advice Sought.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know that there are a fair few anglers on here and I was wondering whether anyone could help me with a couple of questions;
1. Is there any sort of market for old school fishing tackle?
2. If the answer is no, does anyone know the best place to sell old gear.

The stuff I'm talking about is Bruce & Walker rods, Mitchell reels and even some more modern stuff like rods by Tony Fordham, Pete Drennan and Duncan Kay.
Thanks in advance,

Slime.

U

User62651

Seriously try ebay, have sold old rods and reels and fly boxes there BUT make sure you include international and especially USA in your auction if they're collectable. Yanks have plenty cash and love that kind of stuff. You can test the market that way, cancel if you arent seeing plenty watchers and or bids.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely, and again suggest e bay. Like most anglers I am at times a bit of a hoarder, keeping gear I had years ago. I have sold some stuff, like Mitchell reels from the 1970's at reasonable prices. If it is good quality gear, as you suggest, then there is certainly a market.
I am a Normark rod fan - just look on e bay and see how much their top of the range rods go for now - it's common to see Microlites and Titans going for £300-400+, well above the cost of most new rods. Thats because they are still quality rods and better than most made today. Reels have advanced so much that current models, even from mid range manufacturers, are probably better than 1970s and 80's Mitchells etc. However, there is a growing band of purists who, very much like golfers who play vintage clubs, want to go back to using gear they might have used 30-40 years ago.
Good luck!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When my dad died we sold his gear. Mitchell and ABU reels, split cane and fibreglass rods + all the accessories like quill floats, lures and cane baskets etc. Everything went for a reasonable price. Some buyers were current(keen) fishermen whilst others were nostalgic collectors. Some of his fly gear went for really good prices.

We spoke to a ye olde back street tackle shop, who sold on some of his stuff. Most went via Ebay and to fellow fishermen who knew him.

I kept back one of his Mitchell's. I stripped it back and rebuilt it(I had the best teacher in dad), and then had it mounted - it triggers many, many fond memories of bream, tench and carp fishing with him.