Tipping Etiquette

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In this modern age of Just Eat and Deliveroo etc, what is the tipping etiquette?

A couple of the local takeaways deliver, but they're the old school sort where the delivery driver takes the whole payment for the order, so rounding to the nearest £5 or £10 is easy.

With the pay-in-app sort of deliveries do you normally tip in app (assumes you will get decent service and the deliverer actually gets it), tip the deliverer a couple of quid (not sure I have a few quid in cash these days), or just go with the delivery charge?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I have paid in advance Ill try and scrap together some cash ..

If it's a local take away not Uber etc and I haven't paid I'll round up but if a big order over £50 I'll chuck £5 their way

Sounds silly but they remember it aswell

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
But your already paying for delivery. When you collect in person you usually get a collection discount.
The person is paid to deliver food to you. Why do you pay more?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But your already paying for delivery. When you collect in person you usually get a collection discount.
The person is paid to deliver food to you. Why do you pay more?

Not always no

Free delivery at restaurants if local take away for example

The app services you may be paying for delivery but how much of that do they see? Which is then taxed

£2 or so tip in their pocket . No harm

These guys earn bugger all

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With the extortionate fees that most delivery apps add on, plus the fact that the prices are usually higher on deliveroo / just eats than if you went directly, I feel ripped off enough that I never tip.

I know it's bad as none of that extra cost goes towards the delivery driver but I'm not made of money.

Also, I don't know what it's like in less populated areas but I know a few people here in Manchester who do delivery through uber / deliveroo and its not a bad earner relative to the effort you have to put in.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not always no

Free delivery at restaurants if local take away for example

The app services you may be paying for delivery but how much of that do they see? Which is then taxed

£2 or so tip in their pocket . No harm

These guys earn bugger all
So what if they earn bugger all. That's the company's problem not yours. It's not our job to pay another company's pay roll. If people continue to tip then it just encourages companies to pay a low wage. Like in America.
The woman at the local launderette doesn't earn much. Should I tip her too?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what if they earn bugger all. That's the company's problem not yours. It's not our job to pay another company's pay roll. If people continue to top then it just encourages companies to pay a low way. Like in America.
The woman at the local launderette doesn't earn much. Should I tip her too?

Doesn't hurt does it? Really? You tip in a restaurant right?

Don't see the problem

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn't hurt does it? Really? You tip in a restaurant right?

Don't see the problem
Well yes it does hurt if you're also on a budget. However, it's more principle than anything. What the restaurant are basically saying is "we are going to pay our delivery drivers bread crumbs because you mugs will pay the salary for us"

As for restaurants I will only tip the serving staff if they have made my experience better and more welcoming. If they simply slap my food in front of me and walk of then I don't tip

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well yes it does hurt if you're also on a budget. However, it's more principle than anything. What the restaurant are basically saying is "we are going to pay our delivery drivers bread crumbs because you mugs will pay the salary for us"

As for restaurants I will only tip the serving staff if they have made my experience better and more welcoming. If they simply slap my food in front of me and walk of then I don't tip

It's not the restaurant who pays them it's deliveroo. Or just eat

For example today at work somebody wanted his shopping picked up he paid Uber eats to get it for him. Lazy I know don't get me started but they get an order and most the time they go in and collect said order from the restaurant

Outside company nothing to do with the restaurant .. unless they have a deal with them but still don't work for them

If your on a budget Nd can't afford s tip tbh you shouldn't be ordering take out ?.. keep the change isn't a big deal at all

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your on a budget Nd can't afford s tip tbh you shouldn't be ordering take out ?.. keep the change isn't a big deal at all
What!!!! You're saying a person shouldn't order a takeaway if they can't afford a tip? That is crazy and Ironically if everyone followed your model then alot of drivers wouldn't have a job due to a lower demand.
You actually pay deliveroo a fee to deliver food. The delivery driver accepts the job based on the job description end off

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tip good restaurant service of course, someone has gone out of their way to make things better.

Wife is usually in charge of tipping anyway, she did 15 years in FoH and other pub/bar/restaurant roles so knows when and when not to.

Can't tip now as not eating out and delivery drivers drop a the door and are back in their car by the time I open it. Not sure I ever have tipped them, not even via the app. Delivery is quite expensive anyway as those apps want you to get their membership .

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not the restaurant who pays them it's deliveroo. Or just eat

For example today at work somebody wanted his shopping picked up he paid Uber eats to get it for him. Lazy I know don't get me started but they get an order and most the time they go in and collect said order from the restaurant

Outside company nothing to do with the restaurant .. unless they have a deal with them but still don't work for them

It's not even the "restaurant" that does your food, but a shell kitchen set up just to knock out the stuff. As for the delivery people, I'm sick and tired of their mopeds zipping in and out the traffic, parking their mopeds anywhere they want whilst they wait for the next "person" to order from that food unit.

I always tip in a sit down restaurant, and the better the service the better the tip.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What!!!! You're saying a person shouldn't order a takeaway if they can't afford a tip? That is crazy and Ironically if everyone followed your model then alot of driver wouldn't have a job due to a lower demand. You actually pay deliveroo a fee to deliver food. The delivery driver accept the job based on the job description end off

Oh Jesus ...

No I'm saying if a tip of keep the change £18 meal £20 paying and you can't afford that £2 and want the driver to hand you change then should you really be order take out

Do I really have to spell that out to you? Or are you deliberately being awkward?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh Jesus ...

No I'm saying if a tip of keep the change £18 meal £20 paying and you can't afford that £2 and want the driver to hand you change then should you really be order take out

Do I really have to spell that out to you? Or are you deliberately being awkward?
No, you said if you're on a budget and can't afford a tip you shouldn't be ordering a takeaway. I am saying that is a crazy statement.