The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The principle of them seems fine to me. The relegated teams have participated in the PL for a start, so I'd expect them to feel like they've earned the payments more than a team that has been nowhere near the PL. Furthermore, as they've been in the PL, then it is likely they will have needed to spend more than they would have done had they just stayed in the Championship. So, I'm sure those payments give them additional help if they get themselves relegated?

I suspect it might seem much more unfair if Leicester only received the same income from PL as Rotherham?
The mighty Millers will never reach thoe dizzy heights of the PL :cry:

Swango1980

Visit site
Put a clause in the contracts. If the players aren't good enough to play in the PL, then they don't get PL wages.
So, on one hand people want promoted teams to be more competitive. On the other hand, you want player contracts to say that if you get relegated, you get a big pay cut. Maybe it'll work for some players, but it would be a huge turn off for many other players. Why sign for a promoted club if you know that they are more likely to get relegated? Promoted clubs would find it even harder to get "special" players that could make all the difference in their campaign to stay in the league.

CountLippe

Visit site
What are people's thoughts on the parachute payments that relegated teams get for 3(?) years when they leave the PL? IMO this makes a very uneven playing field as up to half the Championship could be getting payments when smaller clubs get nothing. The relegated teams will also get more TV games so further tilting the field.

The distribution of TV money throughout the football pyramid is abhorrent. There's more than enough to go round the 92.

D

Deleted member 15344

The distribution of TV money throughout the football pyramid is abhorrent. There's more than enough to go round the 92.

Yeah it’s very very poor - I play golf with a mad Luton fan and it’s always interesting to listen to him

The money for the Prem telly rights is huge and it’s mainly from abroad and there is no way they will distribute it fairly

CountLippe

Visit site
Yeah it’s very very poor - I play golf with a mad Luton fan and it’s always interesting to listen to him

The money for the Prem telly rights is huge and it’s mainly from abroad and there is no way they will distribute it fairly

A bit radical, but I'd like to see the top teams in the championship receive as much if not more than the teams at the bottom of the prem. It would make for an easier transition between the two divisions in both directions. This concept could be continued right down the pyramid.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A bit radical, but I'd like to see the top teams in the championship receive as much if not more than the teams at the bottom of the prem. It would make for an easier transition between the two divisions in both directions. This concept could be continued right down the pyramid.
This is almost what happens now and will mean the PL becomes even more of a closed shop

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s sort of happening but will close the Prem off to anyone but those teams that yo-yo between the two

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
But again is that not another suggestion that is not “ fair” to those in the bottom half of the championship. Like I say am not sure what is and is not fair.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
But again is that not another suggestion that is not “ fair” to those in the bottom half of the championship. Like I say am not sure what is and is not fair.

My 2 minutes of thought on this:

Maybe some form of incentivised payments for being sustainable? Teams that are showing they are growing revenues and spending within their means get rewarded.

Teams that take the risk of going over the realms of the financial capability take a greater risk in doing so by forfeiting the reward payments money.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is there?

Sure, the top clubs get a fortune. But, they also have to pay a fortune in transfers and salaries. Unless you are Man City who are (allegedly) happy to ignore all FFP, or Chelsea who have seemed to find some crazy loophole in FFP, it doesn't seem the top clubs can just spend at will. They do have a lot of money at their disposal, and so can compete for the best players most of the time. But, if you reduced their incomings, then presumably they'd have to spend less in the transfer market and less on wages. Not a concern for most EFL clubs, but it would become slightly less attractive for players outside of the UK to come to the PL, if there was less of a financial incentive to going to sunny Spain or Italy.

So, I can see why PL clubs would find it unfair that they've to give away more broadcast money to EFL clubs, most of whom pretty much nobody but their own fans genuinely want to watch on TV. It is pretty much the biggest clubs that are able to drive up that huge broadcasting revenue in the first place. EFL clubs may not like it, but of course if they ever make good progress and end up in the PL, then I'm sure they'd suddenly be quite happy about getting a much bigger cut.

CountLippe

Visit site
That’s sort of happening but will close the Prem off to anyone but those teams that yo-yo between the two

What I meant was, the money is distributed through each division depending on position, however quantum for the top championship side is equal to say 16in the prem. 2nd in the chamionship same as 17th in the prem and so on through all divisions with no significant drop off between any two positions. e.g a consistent 10% less each time.

CountLippe

Visit site
Is there?

Sure, the top clubs get a fortune. But, they also have to pay a fortune in transfers and salaries. Unless you are Man City who are (allegedly) happy to ignore all FFP, or Chelsea who have seemed to find some crazy loophole in FFP, it doesn't seem the top clubs can just spend at will. They do have a lot of money at their disposal, and so can compete for the best players most of the time. But, if you reduced their incomings, then presumably they'd have to spend less in the transfer market and less on wages. Not a concern for most EFL clubs, but it would become slightly less attractive for players outside of the UK to come to the PL, if there was less of a financial incentive to going to sunny Spain or Italy.

So, I can see why PL clubs would find it unfair that they've to give away more broadcast money to EFL clubs, most of whom pretty much nobody but their own fans genuinely want to watch on TV. It is pretty much the biggest clubs that are able to drive up that huge broadcasting revenue in the first place. EFL clubs may not like it, but of course if they ever make good progress and end up in the PL, then I'm sure they'd suddenly be quite happy about getting a much bigger cut.

Valid points, but I'm not talking about reducing the income top clubs to a point they can no longer complete with overseas generally (There will always be outliers like PSG and Madrid). Just enough, so that it is always achievable for a club to make progress, particularly between the Championship and Prem.

Swango1980

Visit site
Valid points, but I'm not talking about reducing the income top clubs to a point they can no longer complete with overseas generally (There will always be outliers like PSG and Madrid). Just enough, so that it is always achievable for a club to make progress, particularly between the Championship and Prem.
But surely we have seen plenty of evidence that clubs can progress between the 2 leagues?

Aston Villa were in the Championship for a few years, got back into PL and finished 17th, 11th, 14th and 7th. They are now currently in 3rd. Brighton, Wolves and Bournemouth aren't doing too badly and teams like Palace and Brentford have been pretty competitive in the PL.

And PL clubs can go back the other way and struggle in the Championship, even if they are wealthier than the clubs around them (and no doubt I'm sure some struggled as they took a gamble and spent beyond their means in the PL)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
But they didn't stay in the PL. The parachute money is for relegated teams and 'rewards' failure
Yeah but if teams are to stand a chance of staying up they need to sign players that demand higher wages & give them a 3yr contract.
I agree it’s unfair on other championship clubs.
Football is a right mess.

CountLippe

Visit site
But surely we have seen plenty of evidence that clubs can progress between the 2 leagues?

Aston Villa were in the Championship for a few years, got back into PL and finished 17th, 11th, 14th and 7th. They are now currently in 3rd. Brighton, Wolves and Bournemouth aren't doing too badly and teams like Palace and Brentford have been pretty competitive in the PL.

And PL clubs can go back the other way and struggle in the Championship, even if they are wealthier than the clubs around them (and no doubt I'm sure some struggled as they took a gamble and spent beyond their means in the PL)

We have, and that is commendable considering the odds stacked against them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure who would pay £50m for Armando Broja even though Fulham are rumoured to be interested and sought of panic buy we'd make. I know he's only 22 but not set the world alight and a risk when we need a proven finisher. More excited that we are moving towards a move for Andre from Fluminense for £30m

Swango1980

Visit site
We have, and that is commendable considering the odds stacked against them.
The odds are always going to be stacked against a promoted club.

On one hand, you have a good number of clubs who've been in the Premier League for years. They've sustained a high enough level of performance to stay there, and they've benefited by being in a league that makes huge revenue.

On the other hand, you have a club that has not been in the PL. Maybe they only got relegated a few years previously (so failed when they got relegated), or maybe they've languished in the lower leagues for some time. So, they've not been able to perform at a high enough level to be in the PL, so naturally they'll miss out on the large amounts of money it brings in.

So when a team gets promoted to the PL, it is inevitable that the odds will be stacked against them. After all, they are competing against wealthier clubs, many of whom have had years to acclimatise to that wealth, and hopefully be able to build a club that can sustain the high level of competition to stay there.

Swango1980

Visit site
If the problem is that many fans are sick and tired of smaller clubs not being able to compete against bigger clubs, when the smaller clubs get promoted, how about introducing a handicap system like amateur golf.

So, if a team like Luton get promoted to the PL, they get a head start of 40 points. Maybe teams that finished low down the table the year before, like Everton, get 35 points headstart. Teams like Liverpool maybe get 5-10 points head start. And City just start the season on 0 points.

Is that a great idea? Given that you'll not equalise wealth, at least you've now created a competition where theoretically all 20 clubs have an equal chance of winning the league and an equal chance of getting relegated. And as the years go on and on, the wealth will naturally balance anyway, as the big clubs will eventually get relegated and the small clubs will eventually win the league / get in Europe, so you spread their exposure to fans at home and abroad.

I think I'm a genius :)