The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure who would pay £50m for Armando Broja even though Fulham are rumoured to be interested and sought of panic buy we'd make. I know he's only 22 but not set the world alight and a risk when we need a proven finisher. More excited that we are moving towards a move for Andre from Fluminense for £30m
He has been mentioned in a few windows now. One of those players whose value increases the more time he spends in the physio's room. There may be a really good player in there, he just hasn't spent enough time on the pitch to show it yet.

CountLippe

Visit site
The odds are always going to be stacked against a promoted club.

On one hand, you have a good number of clubs who've been in the Premier League for years. They've sustained a high enough level of performance to stay there, and they've benefited by being in a league that makes huge revenue.

On the other hand, you have a club that has not been in the PL. Maybe they only got relegated a few years previously (so failed when they got relegated), or maybe they've languished in the lower leagues for some time. So, they've not been able to perform at a high enough level to be in the PL, so naturally they'll miss out on the large amounts of money it brings in.

So when a team gets promoted to the PL, it is inevitable that the odds will be stacked against them. After all, they are competing against wealthier clubs, many of whom have had years to acclimatise to that wealth, and hopefully be able to build a club that can sustain the high level of competition to stay there.

This has nothing to do with my point. The TV money should be shared more evenly though the pyramid. It would not take a massive reduction for each premier league club, to reduce the disparity with the lower leagues, particularly the championship. The premier league is the top division, but it is still part of the pyramid - (where do promoted clubs come from or relegated clubs go to?). They should have an obligation to keep them in rude health.

Swango1980

Visit site
This has nothing to do with my point. The TV money should be shared more evenly though the pyramid. It would not take a massive reduction for each premier league club, to reduce the disparity with the lower leagues, particularly the championship. The premier league is the top division, but it is still part of the pyramid - (where do promoted clubs come from or relegated clubs go to?). They should have an obligation to keep them in rude health.
Why, though? The Broadcasting Money to the Premier League is because broadcasters want to show the Premier League. Which features Prenier League Clubs. This is effectively why the PL started, because broadcasters primarily paid to show the biggest clubs, and presumably they thought it wasn't fair lower clubs picked up a lot of that money.

And if everyone is worried about the football pyramid, where to stop? The EFL? What about clubs just below EFL. Would they start moaning about unfairness about not being competitive if thet get promoted?

Maybe the Championship, League 1 and League 2 should form their own isolated organisations. Be in complete control of their broadcasting rights, and then every league gets directly what it earns

Or clubs be fully in control of their own broadcasting rights, regardless of league. Broadcasters can just pay them directly.

The fact parachute payments are made, I'm assuming, is because the PL understands clubs come in and out of PL from lower leagues. And I'm sure those payments are based on long negotiations on what clubs feel is fair. And fairness will be subjective to all.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think it was Mark Crossley who told a very funny story about the time Brian Clough told him to turn up at his house on a Sunday with his kit. It was so he could play for cloughies sons team on a Sunday. It’s a classic.
I listen to the “under the cosh” podcasts (highly recommend) some brilliant stories from the past.
Back when there was characters in the game.
Not like today,when they’re all worried about upsetting the snowflakes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
EPL not a level playing field and so unfair? Just as it has pretty much ever been in Scotland and how England laughed. And in Scotland the fans of ‘the rest’ just 🤷‍♂️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In fairness, if England ever becomes a one or 2 club league for decades, we'll all start laughing at the PL.
Is it not already somewhere close, albeit with maybe not just two clubs. After all if it was ‘open for all’ to win then the debates, arguments and debates around FFP wouldn‘t be happening.