The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Not meant in any way other than I simply do not know the answer but is there actually any rule in place the requires the playing of your strongest team. I only ask because, whilst I can see and appreciate many of the points being made, there have been a couple of calls in the media for points deductions for putting a B team out but I wondered whether there is any actual basis in the rules for that or whether it is just rhetoric and hyperbole.

As a follower of Leicester City (as I have said on here a few times, I do not get involved enough in football to class myself a fan) I am not disappointed as I really saw us struggling to get many more points out of the rest of the season. That said, if Leicester had safely qualified for Europe, I am not sure that we would have seen their first team out either with the cup final coming up. Irrespective of any impact on the rest of the league, I do not expect to see Man Citys first team out much, if at all, before the champions league final and I am sure Chelsea would have been resting players if their place in the Champions League for next year were assured. Rivalry issues will mean that Man United I suspect will put a full team out on Thursday and then, again, I expect a number of players to be wrapped in cotton wool until the Europa League final. Guess it is just the benefit of achieving your goals for the season with matches to spare.

About ten years ago there was a rule about making two many changes - a couple of teams were fined from making ten changes , Blackpool were one , then a bigger club made whole sale changes before a CL tie and nothing happened so it didn’t go down well

They then changed the rule to allow that many changes but must be from the 25 man squad then it was changed again to allow players not registered ( youth players )

The issue for me wasn’t the team selection - OGS did what all managers would have done , the FA refused to move a cup tie last year for us so we had to make a choice

For me the issue is the actions that happened last week - a clubs fans protested escalated into a violent protest that caused a game to be cancelled , the game was then rearranged for this week meaning Man Utd had to play 3 games in 7 days - so they did wholesale changes. Because of those changes a team fighting for CL played against a weakened team , that affected other teams but didn’t really affect the club whose fans caused the issue. Other clubs have suffered because of that incident whilst Man Utd appear to have got of free. I still think the game should have been cancelled last week and the points awarded and then Man Utd wouldn’t have been forced to play a weakened team.

We won’t miss out on CL because Man Utd fielded a weakened team - lots of other reasons , but until yesterday the race for that very lucrative spot was very open and it was closed mainly because that game was postponed last week

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not meant in any way other than I simply do not know the answer but is there actually any rule in place the requires the playing of your strongest team. I only ask because, whilst I can see and appreciate many of the points being made, there have been a couple of calls in the media for points deductions for putting a B team out but I wondered whether there is any actual basis in the rules for that or whether it is just rhetoric and hyperbole.

As a follower of Leicester City (as I have said on here a few times, I do not get involved enough in football to class myself a fan) I am not disappointed as I really saw us struggling to get many more points out of the rest of the season. That said, if Leicester had safely qualified for Europe, I am not sure that we would have seen their first team out either with the cup final coming up. Irrespective of any impact on the rest of the league, I do not expect to see Man Citys first team out much, if at all, before the champions league final and I am sure Chelsea would have been resting players if their place in the Champions League for next year were assured. Rivalry issues will mean that Man United I suspect will put a full team out on Thursday and then, again, I expect a number of players to be wrapped in cotton wool until the Europa League final. Guess it is just the benefit of achieving your goals for the season with matches to spare.

At this point in the season there is always an element of luck as to who you have to play in the last few games of a season. You'll have a combination of teams who are in cup finals and their league season has pettered out so they'll have less interest in the league. Some teams will still be trying to avoid relegation whilst the mid-table teams have nothing left to play for. It is unfortunate (or fortunate) if you are affected by this but for those saying that it affects the integrity of the league is laughable. Teams have squads, they can play whoever they like and the other teams have to live with it. Liverpool fans can blame United for putting out a weaker side against Leicester however that's just diverting away from the truth that they've been appalling this season and the run of 5/6 losses in a row was the reason that they're in this position, not because a team prioritised one game over another. Likewise, wouldn't be suprised if City put out a weaker side in the league now as they are 100% focussed on the CL final. That's life.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I still think the game should have been cancelled last week and the points awarded and then Man Utd wouldn’t have been forced to play a weakened team.

But that's only because it would have benefitted you. What about all the other teams around Liverpool who would have then been up in arms about Liverpool being given free points? If Liverpool were one of those sides I don't see you agreeing with your solution quite so easily.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can only beat the team put out in front of you, each manager can only decide what’s best for his team/club.

Leics won, City win the PL, no congratulating either team, but let’s all talk about the effect on Lpool:rolleyes:

None of this rubbish at the weekend when City (9) and Chelsea (5) changed their teams, nobody called for City to have points deducted etc, but the media darlings are involved and answers are demanded.

It has nothing to do with LPool what team Utd put out on Thursday, to me it is getting excuses ready, Lpool already have an extra days rest from the weekend and I’d state 100% Klopp will be preparing his team to beat the best team Utd put out.

4 Liverpool fans at least have offered congratulations to city, so maybe you have your "filter" on that takes out things that people post so you can make things up which you have done many times in the past.

Thats two embarassing gaffes in 24 hours.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
About ten years ago there was a rule about making two many changes - a couple of teams were fined from making ten changes , Blackpool were one , then a bigger club made whole sale changes before a CL tie and nothing happened so it didn’t go down well

They then changed the rule to allow that many changes but must be from the 25 man squad then it was changed again to allow players not registered ( youth players )

The issue for me wasn’t the team selection - OGS did what all managers would have done , the FA refused to move a cup tie last year for us so we had to make a choice

For me the issue is the actions that happened last week - a clubs fans protested escalated into a violent protest that caused a game to be cancelled , the game was then rearranged for this week meaning Man Utd had to play 3 games in 7 days - so they did wholesale changes. Because of those changes a team fighting for CL played against a weakened team , that affected other teams but didn’t really affect the club whose fans caused the issue. Other clubs have suffered because of that incident whilst Man Utd appear to have got of free. I still think the game should have been cancelled last week and the points awarded and then Man Utd wouldn’t have been forced to play a weakened team.

Fair points and I have sympathy about the way the match abandonment was dealt with. That said, with European qualification secure and a Europa League final to play, would they have put a weakened side out anyway. What were the chances of them playing the strong side only once for the rest of the season, the home match with fans present.

D

Deleted member 15344

But that's only because it would have benefitted you. What about all the other teams around Liverpool who would have then been up in arms about Liverpool being given free points? If Liverpool were one of those sides I don't see you agreeing with your solution quite so easily.

Any game that is forced to be postponed because of the clubs fans actions imo should be forfeited and points awarded to the opposition - regardless of who is involved. A fans protest ended up with a game being unable to play - and it seems nothing has been done about it.

But at the very least look at rearranging the game when it’s not going to have such a dramatic affect on a lot of crucial games

D

Deleted member 16999

Integrity?
4 Liverpool fans at least have offered congratulations to city, so maybe you have your "filter" on that takes out things that people post so you can make things up which you have done many times in the past.

Thats two embarassing gaffes in 24 hours.
Embarassing, I didn’t use the word integrity?

52FAC3EA-A122-4A79-BB26-3C4C5970A34B.jpeg

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

There have been rules in the past, not sure if they are still there.

Despite what some are saying, we werent expecting a strong United team against Leicester, but he could easily have made it stronger without necessarily weakening it too much for Thursday's game.

They also gave up on the league to their near neighbours (but not biggest rivals).

The Europa final is still a few more weeks away.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I dont agree with getting awarded the points, BTW.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Integrity?

Embarassing, I didn’t use the word integrity?

View attachment 36586

Reina, Pennant, Fowler it looks good to me.

Everyone has put out weakened teams at times, and when it can affect relegations etc, I'm against going too far. This was too far.

Still deleting Liverpool fan congratulations, or looking for where we have said one game has affected the league, or just brushing it under the carpet? Maybe that armchair is too heavy to move?????

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There have been rules in the past, not sure if they are still there.

Despite what some are saying, we werent expecting a strong United team against Leicester, but he could easily have made it stronger without necessarily weakening it too much for Thursday's game.

They also gave up on the league to their near neighbours (but not biggest rivals).

The Europa final is still a few more weeks away.

Granted, I agree that the league was still mathematically still not done however in reality everyone knows it was, even playing our strongest side and winning all our remaining games I cannot see City losing it from their position.

In terms of the Europa Final, again I agree, it is still a few more weeks away however this is the biggest game of the season now, nothing else matters so why risk a longer term injury? Does it really matter if you finish 2nd or 4th at this point when CL qualification is done for next season but you still have the 2nd biggest European match in the calender left to play? As a manager I wouldn't be risking anyone needlessly with that one on the horizon especially with the stick OGS has taken from many of United's own fans.

D

Deleted member 16999

Reina, Pennant, Fowler it looks good to me.

Everyone has put out weakened teams at times, and when it can affect relegations etc, I'm against going too far. This was too far.

Still deleting Liverpool fan congratulations, or looking for where we have said one game has affected the league, or just brushing it under the carpet? Maybe that armchair is too heavy to move?????
I’m still laughing at integrity and Lpool being used in the same sentence.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Any game that is forced to be postponed because of the clubs fans actions imo should be forfeited and points awarded to the opposition - regardless of who is involved. A fans protest ended up with a game being unable to play - and it seems nothing has been done about it.

But at the very least look at rearranging the game when it’s not going to have such a dramatic affect on a lot of crucial games

I agree here.

Totally different point but racism in the football stands/ crowds could be tackled with this method of approach.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Granted, I agree that the league was still mathematically still not done however in reality everyone knows it was, even playing our strongest side and winning all our remaining games I cannot see City losing it from their position.

In terms of the Europa Final, again I agree, it is still a few more weeks away however this is the biggest game of the season now, nothing else matters so why risk a longer term injury? Does it really matter if you finish 2nd or 4th at this point when CL qualification is done for next season but you still have the 2nd biggest European match in the calender left to play? As a manager I wouldn't be risking anyone needlessly with that one on the horizon especially with the stick OGS has taken from many of United's own fans.

Ok, but lets see who he risks tomorrow night, then?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree here.

Totally different point but racism in the football stands/ crowds could be tackled with this method of approach.

I think it's a ludicrous suggestion, imagine a bunch of Everton fans marauding as Liverpool fans and protest/ kick off at Anfield getting the game postponed. It would be quite funny though ??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think it's a ludicrous suggestion, imagine a bunch of Everton fans marauding as Liverpool fans and protest/ kick off at Anfield getting the game postponed. It would be quite funny though ??

While I see your point, you'd struggle to actually get that situation in many premier league outfits. In the 2019/20 season Villa only had about 6k match tickets to sell per game and they went to people with prior booking history. Gone are the days that you can just buy a ticket to any game for any team - especially with bigger clubs.

Outside the grounds/ social media/ fan raids or riots I totally see your point and agree with it!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was thinking the same. What if it came down to the last game of the season with Liverpool needing to win and Chelsea to lose to overtake them for a CL place. What's to stop Liverpool fans buying Chelsea shirts and getting the game called off knowing that Chelsea will forfeit the points?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
While I see your point, you'd struggle to actually get that situation in many premier league outfits. In the 2019/20 season Villa only had about 6k match tickets to sell per game and they went to people with prior booking history. Gone are the days that you can just buy a ticket to any game for any team - especially with bigger clubs.

Outside the grounds/ social media/ fan raids or riots I totally see your point and agree with it!

I was thinking more about your last point, outside the stadium, it would be open house for opposing fans to abuse it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No chance .
My mate hit an iron off the first tee once because he wouldn’t use a RED tee.
His son had emptied his bag!
Can’t see him in a Liverpool scarf.