The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
🤷‍♂️ it’s all a judgment on the situation, if it’s a bad foul and the player is down with whah looks like a genuine injury then the ref will blow up - but it will be down his judgment as there could be an advantage etc - think 9/10 you can see when a player is genuinely injured or trying to waste time
Again really??????

How many players go down as though they've been shot or they've done something serious and then get up and carry on

Swango1980

Visit site
Again really??????

How many players go down as though they've been shot or they've done something serious and then get up and carry on
Agreed, it is something that is impossible for a referee to judge. The referee might be 95% sure a player is milking it, but he'll be crucified on the 5% of occasions he is wrong and leaves an injured player unattended.

Take Rodri when he got injured. When he went down in the first few seconds, I thought he was milking it. When he went down in the box later in game, I was almost certain he was making a drama over nothing. Going down in the box like so many other players, despite there barely being any contact. Yet, turns out he had a serious injury.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What’s happening with DCL - can’t stay fit ?

What ms happening with Beto and I guess Broja isn’t fit yet
DCL is now fit but he seems to have his lost his confidence in front of goal. One on one he never looks like scoring. The number of times a ball gets flashed across and it passes him by when only a touch will do. I loved the Solanke goal on Sunday, a classic poachers goal, scrappy but in the right place. DCL isn't getting those. Will he ever be the player from 3yrs ago? Hopefully, but I doubt that will happen at Everton, his contract is up with us in the summer and he will either walk for free in June or we will sell him for a nominal amount in January.

Beto, hhhmmmm. His hold up play is excellent but he is not sharp enough in front of goal. The PL may be too quick for him in the penalty area I suspect. He scored well in Italy but it's a different game there. I want him to do well, he looks an honest player but it has not happened for him so far. We probably need to move him on, chalk up another loss :rolleyes: .

Broja has spent more time injured than DCL over the last few years. He will offer us something different but he has to get fit first of all. Will that ever happen? He was an odd choice for us to bring in. Some crossed fingers on that deal. Great if he stays fit but his history on that front is not good.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agreed, it is something that is impossible for a referee to judge. The referee might be 95% sure a player is milking it, but he'll be crucified on the 5% of occasions he is wrong and leaves an injured player unattended.

Take Rodri when he got injured. When he went down in the first few seconds, I thought he was milking it. When he went down in the box later in game, I was almost certain he was making a drama over nothing. Going down in the box like so many other players, despite there barely being any contact. Yet, turns out he had a serious injury.
I guess the sensible option would be to let the trainer on the field of play while play carries on as per rugby. Once the ball goes dead the referee can then check. Clearly a head injury should be stopped asap as per the current guidelines and obviously the same if a player goes down off the ball as there is clearly a medical emergency

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
DCL is now fit but he seems to have his lost his confidence in front of goal. One on one he never looks like scoring. The number of times a ball gets flashed across and it passes him by when only a touch will do. I loved the Solanke goal on Sunday, a classic poachers goal, scrappy but in the right place. DCL isn't getting those. Will he ever be the player from 3yrs ago? Hopefully, but I doubt that will happen at Everton, his contract is up with us in the summer and he will either walk for free in June or we will sell him for a nominal amount in January.

Beto, hhhmmmm. His hold up play is excellent but he is not sharp enough in front of goal. The PL may be too quick for him in the penalty area I suspect. He scored well in Italy but it's a different game there. I want him to do well, he looks an honest player but it has not happened for him so far. We probably need to move him on, chalk up another loss :rolleyes: .

Broja has spent more time injured than DCL over the last few years. He will offer us something different but he has to get fit first of all. Will that ever happen? He was an odd choice for us to bring in. Some crossed fingers on that deal. Great if he stays fit but his history on that front is not good.
If it's any consolation Jimenez couldn't hit the proverbial barn door after his serious injury and he joined us. Bit by bit Silva is making him feel better as a player and he is slowly looking something like the player he was so hopefully DCL will be the same

Swango1980

Visit site
I guess the sensible option would be to let the trainer on the field of play while play carries on as per rugby. Once the ball goes dead the referee can then check. Clearly a head injury should be stopped asap as per the current guidelines and obviously the same if a player goes down off the ball as there is clearly a medical emergency
Always felt it would be a good idea to allow trainers on the field while play continues. Although there may be a few complications to account for. Such as:

• A player goes down in the 6 yard box. Having them and a medical team there might prove to be quite the obstruction if there is any goal mouth action
  • Defender goes down close to goal line. Do they play everyone onside, or do they no longer count? If so, what if they suddenly do something to influence play, before or after treatment has started (e.g. medical team may start to run on, but before they arrive, the player reacts to the ball nearby to make a clearance or tackle
  • Goalkeeper injured, I suppose the default there has to be to stop play
I'm not sure what the actual solution is, because if there was a simple one, I'm sure it would have been implemented by now. But, I'd quite like the idea of a very public table of stoppage time caused by each team in the PL. Broken down into stoppage time caused by players that had to go off immediately, go off within 5 minutes or players who could play on. Stoppage time created by teams when they were behind compared to when they were in front. And so on.

Some of those stats might be quite embarassing for some teams. And if it is broken down per player, embarassing for them as well. Whether they can be penalised in anyway based on the stats, not so sure. But shame them anyway

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Broja is a very good player but certainly had some bad luck with injuries

Always liked DCL and right now should be in his prime and challenging the likes of Solanke for a spot within the national team

The player who I think looks a star is Ndiaye but not sure if he is a heavy goalscorer but could work very well with a striker

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always felt it would be a good idea to allow trainers on the field while play continues. Although there may be a few complications to account for. Such as:

• A player goes down in the 6 yard box. Having them and a medical team there might prove to be quite the obstruction if there is any goal mouth action
  • Defender goes down close to goal line. Do they play everyone onside, or do they no longer count? If so, what if they suddenly do something to influence play, before or after treatment has started (e.g. medical team may start to run on, but before they arrive, the player reacts to the ball nearby to make a clearance or tackle
  • Goalkeeper injured, I suppose the default there has to be to stop play
I'm not sure what the actual solution is, because if there was a simple one, I'm sure it would have been implemented by now. But, I'd quite like the idea of a very public table of stoppage time caused by each team in the PL. Broken down into stoppage time caused by players that had to go off immediately, go off within 5 minutes or players who could play on. Stoppage time created by teams when they were behind compared to when they were in front. And so on.

Some of those stats might be quite embarassing for some teams. And if it is broken down per player, embarassing for them as well. Whether they can be penalised in anyway based on the stats, not so sure. But shame them anyway
Which in my (simple) mind is where the clock stopping and starting seems the most efficient method. Maybe 4th official can control it

Swango1980

Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
What i don’t understand is that he was given a red, it’s gone to VAR who have not overturned it. Then a third group have said it was wrong. 2 days later. VAR is an anagram of WHS.
Because the VAR officials are often useless, and have no idea whether they are expected to intervene or not. The current idea is for the onfield decision to stay, so they will do their best to look for a 1% chance tge original decision was correct, and if they find it, do nothing.

And, after they get slated for doing nothing for a week or 2, they'll start looking for a 1% chance the original decision was incorrect, and ask for reviews for most ridiculous reasons.

The panel has obviously had time to sit down and realise, like every other pundit, the red card was wrong.

It's a pity, we never got to see if Utd could get back into it, or not, no excuses. Also a pity, as it was a chance to take Bruno out of starting 11 for 3 games

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Tonight marks a very special occasion for me and my friends, our first ever Champions League match at Villa Park.

Under the lights in the Holte End - no place in the world I'd rather be tonight.

Its going to be an amazing occasion, one I'm sure I wont forget for years to come. A very fitting opponent for us to say our goodbyes to Gary Shaw to, too. A man who was instrumental in us lifting the trophy back in 82 against Bayern and whos name will forevermore be proudly displayed on the Holte End.

COME ON YOU VILLA BOYS, DO US PROUD!!!!!!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Tonight marks a very special occasion for me and my friends, our first ever Champions League match at Villa Park.

Under the lights in the Holte End - no place in the world I'd rather be tonight.

Its going to be an amazing occasion, one I'm sure I wont forget for years to come. A very fitting opponent for us to say our goodbyes to Gary Shaw to, too. A man who was instrumental in us lifting the trophy back in 82 against Bayern and whos name will forevermore be proudly displayed on the Holte End.

COME ON YOU VILLA BOYS, DO US PROUD!!!!!!
Big price Villa over 3/1