The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'm not arguing Havertz wasn't a "decent" player for Chelsea. I was pointing out that the derision that he received was not one of settling but one of the craziness of the systems Chelsea have played over the last 5 or 6 seasons.

Talented in the right team is exactly the point I WAS making 🤷‍♂️

Sorry yes 👍 and yep he was played all over the park

It’s the same with Salah - he was hardly used by Chelsea and even more so with KDB - both just not played hence leaving

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry yes 👍 and yep he was played all over the park

It’s the same with Salah - he was hardly used by Chelsea and even more so with KDB - both just not played hence leaving
Like some on here, I have played the game to a reasonable level (equivalent on National League down South) and I remember my first game at that level, I was honking, absolutely honking. Got hooked on 60 minutes. It was a combination of nerves and overthinking it. I wouldn't have gone on to play nearly every game for 3 seasons if the manager had taken the view that after 1 game I was not good enough.

I had been playing in front of crowds (ok not big crowds) for years prior to that, sometimes your first game(s) can be a bit fraught. So to judge on one game, IMO, is a bit premature.

But as I said before, especially in a 38 game season, if you haven't shown ability in that 38 games then it's probably not for you. It's not to say you aren't a decent player, just maybe not suited. I remember we had a guy sign for us from the Scottish second division (at the time) and we were all buzzing to have such a good player in the ranks, turns out Junior wasn't for him. It was too quick, you don't get 10 seconds on the ball like he was used to. So he never even made the end of the season.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I addressed that - your team have a choice to play on with you down receiving treatment or to then kick it out.

Its also not about improving the football on the pitch - that's for coaches in the week - its about keeping the ball in play, less breaks in the game and free flowing football.
Whilst I don’t think it will work as well in football it certainly needs to be tried

I’m also very much an advocate of the player must go off the pitch for a period until they are let back on - see how the team does with 10 men as well

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Guys, we’re getting reports about the route the discussion is going. Some of the comments are getting a little personal. Agree to differ and then move on.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Like some on here, I have played the game to a reasonable level (equivalent on National League down South) and I remember my first game at that level, I was honking, absolutely honking. Got hooked on 60 minutes. It was a combination of nerves and overthinking it. I wouldn't have gone on to play nearly every game for 3 seasons if the manager had taken the view that after 1 game I was not good enough.

I had been playing in front of crowds (ok not big crowds) for years prior to that, sometimes your first game(s) can be a bit fraught. So to judge on one game, IMO, is a bit premature.

But as I said before, especially in a 38 game season, if you haven't shown ability in that 38 games then it's probably not for you. It's not to say you aren't a decent player, just maybe not suited. I remember we had a guy sign for us from the Scottish second division (at the time) and we were all buzzing to have such a good player in the ranks, turns out Junior wasn't for him. It was too quick, you don't get 10 seconds on the ball like he was used to. So he never even made the end of the season.

Time will tell at the end of the day

Even good Marco Van Basten highlighted him , he isn’t ready then don’t play him , but from seeing him before as well - not suited - there was one telling game - Newcastle in the CL , he was hauled off after 60 mins I think it was and then Vitinha came in and took his place

And as Holt said Europes big clubs have made a habit of mugging off United with their cast offs

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whilst I don’t think it will work as well in football it certainly needs to be tried

I’m also very much an advocate of the player must go off the pitch for a period until they are let back on - see how the team does with 10 men as well
If the injury is caused by a foul, it would seem a bit unfair for the team to be down to 10 men whilst the offender stays on. Would need the offender to leave the pitch for the same time as well (but that would just be a level playing field so maybe they should both stay on. No black and white in these situations, unfortunately.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the takeover will have a big say , seems like a bit of lift and also having Branthwaite back will be a plus

Dyche is a decent manager , not much different to Moyes and Everton will be comfortable mid table imo
Branthwaite is a big one to have back, adds real solidity at the back. The biggest problem is still the lack of a functioning striker but hopefully we have enough to get around that, again, this year. We desperately need to resolve that, and the RB position in the summer (January window if possible)

Dyche has his limitations but he is right for us at this moment.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
If the injury is caused by a foul, it would seem a bit unfair for the team to be down to 10 men whilst the offender stays on. Would need the offender to leave the pitch for the same time as well (but that would just be a level playing field so maybe they should both stay on. No black and white in these situations, unfortunately.

It’s it’s a foul then the game should be stopped and it’s prob a genuine injury but the game needs to go on , if he is capable of walking then get the treatment off the pitch - it is a hard situation and it’s not black and white as you say but something needs to be done

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Really?!?!?!?

🤷‍♂️ it’s all a judgment on the situation, if it’s a bad foul and the player is down with whah looks like a genuine injury then the ref will blow up - but it will be down his judgment as there could be an advantage etc - think 9/10 you can see when a player is genuinely injured or trying to waste time

Suspect being lost in translation in regards what I’m trying to say 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Branthwaite is a big one to have back, adds real solidity at the back. The biggest problem is still the lack of a functioning striker but hopefully we have enough to get around that, again, this year. We desperately need to resolve that, and the RB position in the summer (January window if possible)

Dyche has his limitations but he is right for us at this moment.

What’s happening with DCL - can’t stay fit ?

What ms happening with Beto and I guess Broja isn’t fit yet