The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
He is not suited in anyway to the pace of the prem , he was pulled from pillar to post and provided zero protection , he was running in quick sand , turning circle of a rubbish truck - he had no mobility at all - sorry but it’s another £50mil wasted

It was his first start in a new league, playing in a team which was chaotic - no clear structure, no obvious tactics, no plan. United’s players looked all at sea, with absolutely no clue what their jobs in the mayhem were supposed to be. I’d have been surprised if any player looked good in such an environment, never mind one making his first start.

Sorry, but castigating a player in these circumstances just diminishes your wider argument.

Swango1980

Visit site
It was his first start in a new league, playing in a team which was chaotic - no clear structure, no obvious tactics, no plan. United’s players looked all at sea, with absolutely no clue what their jobs in the mayhem were supposed to be. I’d have been surprised if any player looked good in such an environment, never mind one making his first start.

Sorry, but castigating a player in these circumstances just diminishes your wider argument.
I wonder how he rated Evra and Vidic after their first game at Utd?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

That doesn’t mean he can’t do the basic things that you would expect

Tracking , covering , putting a tackle in

Players just ghosted past him

Being in a poor team doesn’t mean you suddenly become slower

Sometimes it’s very clear when someone isn’t suited to the prem

im very confident that he is another that’s just not suited

Billysboots

Visit site
That doesn’t mean he can’t do the basic things that you would expect

Tracking , covering , putting a tackle in

Players just ghosted past him

Being in a poor team doesn’t mean you suddenly become slower

Sometimes it’s very clear when someone isn’t suited to the prem

im very confident that he is another that’s just not suited

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Neither of us knows what instruction Ugarte was given prior to crossing the white line yesterday, and it’s entirely possible that the manager’s tactics, or lack thereof, made a significant contribution towards how every player looked.

I’ll judge when he’s played a number of games. Not one. And, with respect, I’m beyond staggered that someone who clearly loves his football is writing a player off after only 90 minutes.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Neither of us knows what instruction Ugarte was given prior to crossing the white line yesterday, and it’s entirely possible that the manager’s tactics, or lack thereof, made a significant contribution towards how every player looked.

I’ll judge when he’s played a number of games. Not one. And, with respect, I’m beyond staggered that someone who clearly loves his football is writing a player off after only 90 minutes.

There is nothing wrong with writing a player off after 90 mins , been plenty that have shown they aren’t good enough after 90 mins - seen plenty over the years in a Liverpool shirt and there is no doubt you have seen someone and good - nope not good enough

There are some basic attributes that you would hope to see from someone who is there to protect the back 4 and he didn’t show too many of them and it was one of the reasons why Spurs cut through the middle with ease.

Billysboots

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with writing a player off after 90 mins , been plenty that have shown they aren’t good enough after 90 mins - seen plenty over the years in a Liverpool shirt and there is no doubt you have seen someone and good - nope not good enough

There are some basic attributes that you would hope to see from someone who is there to protect the back 4 and he didn’t show too many of them and it was one of the reasons why Spurs cut through the middle with ease.

Spurs cut through United with ease because our half hearted high press was leaving a huge void between the back four and those in front of them. It’s a problem United have had for far too long, and it must stem from how the manager is setting them up. Ugarte looked as though he didn’t know whether to stick or twist half the time. I’m not about to blame him for that.

I had hoped, and I still do, that Ugarte’s signing might stem the tide. But it won’t make a jot of difference if the side continues to be set up so poorly.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Spurs cut through United with ease because our half hearted high press was leaving a huge void between the back four and those in front of them. It’s a problem United have had for far too long, and it must stem from how the manager is setting them up. Ugarte looked as though he didn’t know whether to stick or twist half the time. I’m not about to blame him for that.

I had hoped, and I still do, that Ugarte’s signing might stem the tide. But it won’t make a jot of difference if the side continues to be set up so poorly.

Time will tell for both of us , I was wrong about Palmer , was very sure about Fernandes and that’s proving right so far

The Prem is a different league than all the others - we have seen many top class players from other leagues struggle and a lot of it is down to the intensity and pace - unless Urgate suddenly finds a good number of yards of pace imo he will struggle

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site

You don't half spout some absolute rubbish at times, I would be embarassed to log on. Its' why football has such a bad rep, absolute rubbish about absolute rubbish and thinking it's Shakespeare.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Anyone who judges new signings (foreign or even English) before 1 full season in the league doesn't know much about football
That’s complete nonsense - plenty of players have been shown to be shocking within in games , these are international experienced playars - some suit the prem some don’t , it’s clear when some are very much unsuited but some try and excuse poor signings by saying “give them a season” - you don’t spend £50mil for international players to “give them a season”

Some may not suit some teams tactics but there are plenty that just don’t suit the pace of the prem

And yes players are judged from the minute the walk on the pitch, if they aren’t ready then shove them in the reserves or play them in cup games etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

What a ridiculous statement. How can you write a player off on the back of one game in a new side that is playing like a pub XI. On that basis we'd have squads of 16 and these layers would never get another game. How many have sucked in the first game and even the first few and then found something and realise they are good enough and deserve to be in the side and flourish. Was he the only one not doing their job in midfield and not tracking back? Going down to 10 men didn't help did it?

It seems you posted hoping to get the reaction you did but if you really believe a player can be written off after one game you need to give your head a shake