The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I firmly believe the answer to this is - yes they could - but it'll take a proven brilliant manager/ head coach to achieve it - not just a new face.

List of managers that could get more out of the players

Loew
Tuchel
Allegri
Zidane
Conceicao
Klopp

Out of them I don’t tbink they will go near the job

So it’s the likes of Potter or Southgate

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
And who will that be. A brilliant manager/head coach is still going to need time and there is still a gap until the window. Unless he comes in and gets the players firing in all areas aren't they going to be in the same mess at least until the window opens when there is potential to buy/sell. I am not sure there is anyone out there that can turn it around that quickly and so why not let EtH carry on?

Oh ive no idea, only name that springs to mind is Zidane but hes not worked for a while and his Madrid team were just a factory of CL success.

But it is possible, Emery took a worse side from bottom 3 in November to top 7 by the end of season, one window and he signed one player in that window.

United have better players than we did then too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
List of managers that could get more out of the players

Loew
Tuchel
Allegri
Zidane
Conceicao
Klopp

Out of them I don’t tbink they will go near the job

So it’s the likes of Potter or Southgate
Tuchel? According to your previous posts he turned it down

Not sure Potter will go near it or would they want him after having the lowest points per game return of any Chelsea manager. Can't see how that has done his reputation any good. Would Southgate really want to walk into that minefield as a first job?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@PJ87
I saw your manager get the hump about that. I always think managers and players look planks when they complain like that.

What if there is 15 seconds left? He has to award the corner, his watch says 15 seconds. Player trots across, sets the ball up, times up. Nothing the ref can do. If the ref ignored those extra seconds, if a camera showed time left on the watch.....people would go nuts. Time is up when it's up.

Time was already up tbh, minimum of 5 I appreciate but 7 had been played. Could have played on.

Silly really should have just blown up

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Time was already up tbh, minimum of 5 I appreciate but 7 had been played. Could have played on.

Silly really should have just blown up
If the timekeeping was taken out of the refs hands and there was a big clock on a screen that everyone could see, it would be exactly the same. The ref would keep things going until the big whistle went. This is no different, we just can't see the refs clock. Really no reason for the manager to go nuts, it's just showing him up imo.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Utd players would have scared to go in the dressing room after that performance if fergie & Keane were still there.
This lot were probably dancing to Drake.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The idea that there are no managers out there is a nonsense. There are always good managers, it is just about finding the right fit for your club. The next biggest nonsense is that 'no one could do anything with that bunch of players'. Time and time again, a new manager comes into a club and lifts a team, whether short or medium term. Not every time, but often enough (I'm not talking about a simple new manager bounce). Different ideas, different training, different psychology, different selections from the squad. Some even go with the revolutionary idea of playing players in their correct position! (that isn't a pop at EHT by the way but jeez does this happen a lot). If a club sticks with a manager because it thinks there is no one out there, they are not looking hard enough.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the timekeeping was taken out of the refs hands and there was a big clock on a screen that everyone could see, it would be exactly the same. The ref would keep things going until the big whistle went. This is no different, we just can't see the refs clock. Really no reason for the manager to go nuts, it's just showing him up imo.

Oh I agree about the manager and the players moaning, he isn't going to change his mind

Appreciate j-lo is under pressure as that could have led to 3 points which is vital for him ATM

But moaning about it won't change it

See his frustration tho

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As per rugby? Wouldn't it be good if they stopped it every time the ball went dead for throw, corner and free kick and didn't come back on until the ball was in play. That would stop all the time wasting. Same with the injury time and subs. Stop it if the trainer comes on or players go off. Imagine fans getting a full game of football to watch

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As per rugby? Wouldn't it be good if they stopped it every time the ball went dead for throw, corner and free kick and didn't come back on until the ball was in play. That would stop all the time wasting. Same with the injury time and subs. Stop it if the trainer comes on or players go off. Imagine fans getting a full game of football to watch
A 3pm game would finish at 6pm, an evening game would finish beyond the last train. It isn't practical unfortunately. I get your point though.

My own view, do as per rugby and let the trainer treat people whilst the game continues around them. They would stop the ones feigning injury pretty sharpish.

Morfeen75

Visit site
A 3pm game would finish at 6pm, an evening game would finish beyond the last train. It isn't practical unfortunately. I get your point though.

My own view, do as per rugby and let the trainer treat people whilst the game continues around them. They would stop the ones feigning injury pretty sharpish.
Whats the fascination with following what Rugby does? It would be impossible to let the game carry on around them. It is a complete different sport.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Whats the fascination with following what Rugby does? It would be impossible to let the game carry on around them. It is a complete different sport.

Hardly impossible, in the right areas of the pitch it would work well.

Why follow other sports? Well because football seems to be the last to do anything so why not look at what works well elsewhere across professional sport?

Morfeen75

Visit site
Hardly impossible, in the right areas of the pitch it would work well.

Why follow other sports? Well because football seems to be the last to do anything so why not look at what works well elsewhere across professional sport?
Care to elaborate on where these areas are? I am intrigued.

Have you missed the implementation of VAR? We all heard it works great in Rugby etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As per the post from @Bdill93 . He hits the mark.

The game can carry on around the trainer unless the ref deems it to be serious enough to stop play. A clash of heads for example would probably warrant a stop in play. Most other times, carry on.

VAR works very well in lots of sports, football has just not implemented it as well as some of those have. One obvious point is that they did not learn the mistakes of those early VAR users in those other sports and so made the same mistakes that they did initially. They could have jumped that period but were too arrogant to listen to others.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Care to elaborate on where these areas are? I am intrigued.

Have you missed the implementation of VAR? We all heard it works great in Rugby etc.

Forward Player goes down the left wing, near cornerflag but outside of box - RB tackles (no foul) - player goes down crying - RB moves ball up the pitch and plays on.

Medical team can run over to player whilst the ball progresses up the other end of the pitch.

Made easier if they split medical staff either side of the pitch for quicker response times.

Its really not hard to get your head around if you watch football week in and week out, easy opportunities to implement it.

VAR is a problem because football is a game of opinions. Goal line tech works very well, as does automated offside.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
As per the post from @Bdill93 . He hits the mark.

The game can carry on around the trainer unless the ref deems it to be serious enough to stop play. A clash of heads for example would probably warrant a stop in play. Most other times, carry on.

VAR works very well in lots of sports, football has just not implemented it as well as some of those have. One obvious point is that they did not learn the mistakes of those early VAR users in those other sports and so made the same mistakes that they did initially. They could have jumped that period but were too arrogant to listen to others.

Spot on - they will soon stop feigning injury

It’s still embarrassing that CL etc can have semi automated Offsides and yet we still can’t implement it

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Forward Player goes down the left wing, near cornerflag but outside of box - RB tackles (no foul) - player goes down crying - RB moves ball up the pitch and plays on.

Medical team can run over to player whilst the ball progresses up the other end of the pitch.

Made easier if they split medical staff either side of the pitch for quicker response times.

Its really not hard to get your head around if you watch football week in and week out, easy opportunities to implement it.

VAR is a problem because football is a game of opinions. Goal line tech works very well, as does automated offside.

Just to add to this - if play then reversed and was going back in the direction of said injured player, the team holding the ball (injured players team) could choose to kick the ball out of play then or indeed continue while he's down - therefore impacting the area they have to play in.

Its not rocket science, but the rule makers seem to think it needs to be.

Morfeen75

Visit site

What happens if theres a turnover in play, ball gets played up into the vicinity of the injured player/physios and the ball hits the physio and goes out of play. What happens next?

Its not hard to get your head around, its a crazy suggestion that wont improve the football on the pitch.

VAR as software is great. How it is used and implemented is poor. It was implemented by an ex head of Rugby.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good write up but can I bring up one point (similar to one I raised when Southgate was getting abuse during the summer). You pick out a number of players who are under performing and also state that ETH is not instructing his payers not to run back, tackle, challenge, etc but you still want the manager out? How do you think a new manager will change the culture at Man Utd? The players have obviously got lazy and too rich and now can't be bothered so I think a lot of these need clearing out, alongside the manager.
I think it’s because the players want ETH out.
Just a hunch when players stop trying!