The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure I'd be blaming Neuer too much. He had panned out to the edge of the box with play at the other end and when the break started was working back towards the penalty spot. The fact Duran brought it down so quickly shielded it away from the defender and hit the ball didn't give him too much time to adjust further. I think most keepers would have been in a similar position

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure I'd be blaming Neuer too much. He had panned out to the edge of the box with play at the other end and when the break started was working back towards the penalty spot. The fact Duran brought it down so quickly shielded it away from the defender and hit the ball didn't give him too much time to adjust further. I think most keepers would have been in a similar position
You sure you were watching the same game? Neuer was caught in no man's land. Yes, he had moved out to the edge of his box but as soon as that ball was played long from the Villa back line he should have been moving at pace back to his 6 yard line at least. He did nothing much, and as a result was caught out.
Duran didn't "bring the ball down" he hit it on the move.

Not sure "most keepers would have been in a similar position" as most would have been back on their 6 yard line as soon as that long ball was played. Neuer did himself there. I get you like to disagree with Phil on principle but that one's a stretch.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
You sure you were watching the same game? Neuer was caught in no man's land. Yes, he had moved out to the edge of his box but as soon as that ball was played long from the Villa back line he should have been moving at pace back to his 6 yard line at least. He did nothing much, and as a result was caught out.

Not sure "most keepers would have been in a similar position" as most would have been back on their 6 yard line as soon as that long ball was played. Neuer did himself there. I get you like to disagree with Phil on principle but that one's a stretch.

It was a very smart finish from Duran to spot the keeper stranded but it was shocking positioning from him - bet Duran couldn’t believe his luck - smart finish though

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Disagree about the positioning on the 6 yard box. Too deep given the position of Duran and I think penalty spot or at very least between spot and six yard box. If you look at the goal and listen to the commentary it is clear there was a touch first and shielded it from the defender and then hit it so yes he was on the move but it wasn't a first time shot from the pass

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Disagree about the positioning on the 6 yard box. Too deep given the position of Duran and I think penalty spot or at very least between spot and six yard box. If you look at the goal and listen to the commentary it is clear there was a touch first and shielded it from the defender and then hit it so yes he was on the move but it wasn't a first time shot from the pass
Ok I'll concede that 6 yards is too deep but Neuer was still no where near there. Watch the game, not the commentary, Duran runs on to it, there is no touch, he shields it but he hits it first time.
5:09 is the time stamp.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keeper actually runs towards Duran for four or five yds.
He was never getting there.
Bad positioning and decision making.
Thought the defender could have done more to put him off but he wasn’t to know what Neuer was doing!

Top quality finish though

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keeper actually runs towards Duran for four or five yds.
He was never getting there.
Bad positioning and decision making.
Thought the defender could have done more to put him off but he wasn’t to know what Neuer was doing!

Top quality finish though
On the defender not doing enough, I wondered if Upamecano had it in his head that he was treading thin ice, he should have been off already, so was he thinking about that and stood off a bit because of it?

Speculation but makes sense in my head.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
He was outside the box when Duran hit on the run
Exactly, in no man’s land of his own doing. As soon as the ball was played forward he should have been back to, as Homer said, somewhere between the penalty spot and the 6 yard line.

But to choose to stay so far out is asking for trouble. Or, it’s really, really trusting the ability of your defence.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Exactly, in no man’s land of his own doing. As soon as the ball was played forward he should have been back to, as Homer said, somewhere between the penalty spot and the 6 yard line.

But to choose to stay so far out is asking for trouble. Or, it’s really, really trusting the ability of your defence.
I’ve watched Bayern quite a bit over the last few seasons and Neuer is often quite away outside his box, normally half way between 18yd and halfway line.

Simply one of those goals were 100% of the credit goes to Durran, brilliant piece of play and superb finish.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve watched Bayern quite a bit over the last few seasons and Neuer is often quite away outside his box, normally half way between 18yd and halfway line.

Simply one of those goals were 100% of the credit goes to Durran, brilliant piece of play and superb finish.
I haven't watched them much this season but yeah Neuer is pretty renowned for holding a high line as a keeper. But when your team continually has as much possession as Bayern normally do in Bundesliga games I suppose it's a reasonably safe tactic.

Duran's finish was, as you say, a brilliant finish given the circumstances. I don't think it can be disputed that UEFA should be giving Neuer the assist on it though ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Personally, I'm not sure I'd blame Neuer too much. He made a gamble that more often than not, works out for the best. Probably helped make him one of the most highly rated keepers in his career. In the first half, he made a similar gamble, and turned a really dangerous Villa attack into a really easy clearance on his part.

Having looked at it again, as soon as the player made that movement to play the long ball forward, Neuer was immediately running into that space between his box and his high line defence (before the outcome of the pass would be known). It is clear that this is the way he is used to playing, and the way Bayern want to play. From the pass being played, to the point it was clear it was a great pass into the line of the striker was not much over 1 second, at which point Neuer had already realised he wouldn't get there and put the breaks on. And it was about 3 seconds between the pass being played and the shot being taken. 3 seconds isn't a lot of time for any goalkeeper to start charging forward to cut out a pass, change his mind, run back and save a long looping shot.

Sure, in hindsight, you could say he would have been much better had he been around his goal the whole time. Yet, if the pass had been any different, had that been his starting position he could have been crucified for having a bad starting position and not coming out to cover the space in behind the defender.

I think his starting position and reactions to these sorts of passes usually pays off in dividends, so I'm sure he'd still make similar decisions in the future. But, sometimes the opposition's long pass, movement of striker and finish will just be too good. Even after the almost perfect pass by the defender, and perfect run by the striker, it ended in a ridiculously good first time finish. Even if Neuer had never got involved, that move could have fallen apart in those three areas anyway. So, I see it more as a fantastic Villa goal, than a mistake by the keeper, in my opinion.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I haven't watched them much this season but yeah Neuer is pretty renowned for holding a high line as a keeper. But when your team continually has as much possession as Bayern normally do in Bundesliga games I suppose it's a reasonably safe tactic.

Duran's finish was, as you say, a brilliant finish given the circumstances. I don't think it can be disputed that UEFA should be giving Neuer the assist on it though ;)
It’s very easy to watch it on telly and the 30 replays from every angle and state how it could of been avoided.

Fact is we could do that with every goal ever scored.

Sometimes we just have to enjoy it for what it was.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s very easy to watch it on telly and the 30 replays from every angle and state how it could of been avoided.

Fact is we could do that with every goal ever scored.

Sometimes we just have to enjoy it for what it was.
Football fans just accepting things for what they are? You been drinking?🤪

This would be a much quieter thread if that happened.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

He was/is one of the best sweeper keepers around and his positioning is normally spot and he allows the CB’s the high line - the problem is Upamenco is awful when it comes positioning and Kim isn’t much better ( also one of the reasons why De Ligt was let go ) - so maybe that’s one of the reasons why he was so high in this instance

It was a great finish but I would also be livid with my gk for being where he was