The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He was/is one of the best sweeper keepers around and his positioning is normally spot and he allows the CB’s the high line - the problem is Upamenco is awful when it comes positioning and Kim isn’t much better ( also one of the reasons why De Ligt was let go ) - so maybe that’s one of the reasons why he was so high in this instance

It was a great finish but I would also be livid with my gk for being where he was
Nope. If he is expeceted to be a sweeper keeper irrespective of the quality in front of him he was doing what he should have been doing. You can only do your job and he did although I concede that perhaps the initial move forward was a mistake but arguably a move based on what he normally does and has done for years. The quality of the strike was simply sublime and even if he was in a better position between the penalty spot and six yard box I think he's still have struggled. A quality goal for a special European night at Villa Park

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can understand Neuers position before the through ball.
But the defender was actually goalside of Duran so a keeper shouldn’t be getting involved if there’s cover.
He’d only get in the defenders way.
He would have made the finish much harder if he’d gone backwards instead and made Durans mind up for him.

But it is what it is and credit Duran for a fantastic goal.
Well done to Villa.

PaulMdj

Visit site
He was/is one of the best sweeper keepers around and his positioning is normally spot and he allows the CB’s the high line - the problem is Upamenco is awful when it comes positioning and Kim isn’t much better ( also one of the reasons why De Ligt was let go ) - so maybe that’s one of the reasons why he was so high in this instance

It was a great finish but I would also be livid with my gk for being where he was
His high line was expecting the ball over the top to Durran to run on to, if that’d happened he’d of probably got the ball first, what caught him out was the ball through the line to Durran’s feet and he was then stuck between coming out or going back and unfortunately for him, Durran’s brilliance caught him out.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
His high line was expecting the ball over the top to Durran to run on to, if that’d happened he’d of probably got the ball first, what caught him out was the ball through the line to Durran’s feet and he was then stuck between coming out or going back and unfortunately for him, Durran’s brilliance caught him out.

Duran was superb to spot him so far out and was a lovely finish - Emery has said they expect him to be high so looked to exploit it - If Neuer was further back towards his goal then Duran potentially wouldn’t have been able to hit it first time and then the GK is letting the CB deal with him first .

He was caught out - when Duran hit the ball he was just outside the box allowing the lob to happen - for me whilst the finish was brilliant and instinctive - GK didn’t cover himself in glory

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Duran was superb to spot him so far out and was a lovely finish - Emery has said they expect him to be high so looked to exploit it - If Neuer was further back towards his goal then Duran potentially wouldn’t have been able to hit it first time and then the GK is letting the CB deal with him first .

He was caught out - when Duran hit the ball he was just outside the box allowing the lob to happen - for me whilst the finish was brilliant and instinctive - GK didn’t cover himself in glory
Not at all. Where he needed to be as per Bayerns instruction for a sweeper keeper and arguably looking for it t be a through ball and in that case would have been able to intercept. The fact Duran brought it down and hit it caught him out and even further back he wasn't getting to it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Can understand Neuers position before the through ball.
But the defender was actually goalside of Duran so a keeper shouldn’t be getting involved if there’s cover.
He’d only get in the defenders way.
He would have made the finish much harder if he’d gone backwards instead and made Durans mind up for him.

But it is what it is and credit Duran for a fantastic goal.
Well done to Villa.
Brilliant finish to have the awareness and then to take it first time before the CB had time to get a tackle in

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Sorry - busy morning!

Well, what a night, one that I will never forget.

Absolute masterplan from Emery, defense were absolutely immense, the balls over the top to Ollie had their CB's quivering in their boots - certainly think Upencampo was lucky to be on the pitch after a blatant foul on Ollie going clean through wasn't even given!

Emi Martinez, no goalkeeper in the world better in a big game. Absolute genius of a goalkeeper, we will never see anyone as good as him between the sticks at Villa. So so lucky he's ours - and he loves the club in equal measure.

Brilliant performances from the young players, Philogene, Rogers, Ramsey - boys did so so well.

And well.. Duran, the man is inevitable.

Up the Emery, Up the boys and UP THE EURO VILLLLLAAAAAAAAA

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry - busy morning!

Absolute masterplan from Emery, defense were absolutely immense, the balls over the top to Ollie had their CB's quivering in their boots - certainly think Upencampo was lucky to be on the pitch after a blatant foul on Ollie going clean through wasn't even given!

Emi Martinez, no goalkeeper in the world better in a big game. Absolute genius of a goalkeeper, we will never see anyone as good as him between the sticks at Villa. So so lucky he's ours - and he loves the club in equal measure.

Brilliant performances from the young players, Philogene, Rogers, Ramsey - boys did so so well.

A great night and great performance to remember Gary Shaw

PaulMdj

Visit site

The credit goes to Villa, the pass to Durran was superb.

Like I said before, we should just be praising the goal rather than looking to fault Bayern players.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The credit goes to Villa, the pass to Durran was superb.

Like I said before, we should just be praising the goal rather than looking to fault Bayern players.

He is getting credit - it was a great strike and great awareness to take advantage of the situation, that doesn’t mean the GKs positioning can’t be questioned- he still had to hit and did it brilliantly

PaulMdj

Visit site
He is getting credit - it was a great strike and great awareness to take advantage of the situation, that doesn’t mean the GKs positioning can’t be questioned- he still had to hit and did it brilliantly
But Neuer’s starting position was correct for how Bayern set up, it was the through ball from Torres that caught him and the defenders out.

Emry did his homework and Villa’s win was down to way more than just the goal.

Swango1980

Visit site
If Neuer's strength, and Bayern's style of play, requires him coming quickly off his line, perhaps his positioning is exactly as would be expected?

When Villa scored, I did initially wonder why he was so far off his line. But, when you look at the replay from down the pitch (that shows everyone's position through the move), then Neuer seems to be in a position I would expect from him, and his reaction when the Villa player initially makes the pass is exactly what I'd expect from him. If the move happened again, I can't ever seeing him doing anything differently, assuming he is executing his gameplan. And, he'd probably be fine, because the pass would be hit longer and he'd get it, shorter and the attacker never gets the chance to shoot (or wider / narrower) or his defender does more to put the attacker off and not get the shot away, if the pass is perfect (or the attacker just does not execute the shot as perfectly as he did).

If your game is to rush off your line and play sweeper keeper, then it is inevitable that from time to time the attacking team will get the better of you. It doesn't mean you made an individual mistake, it just means that although it normally works brilliantly for you, every now and then it doesn't.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah honestly chaps, Neuer spent the vast majority of the game near the centre circle, hes a proper sweeper keeper, headed the ball multiple times etc.

We had a few chances to lob him throughout the game as he was miles off his line - clearly Bayern go with the risk and reward of allowing him to do that.

I suppose against weaker teams it pays off a lot more than it costs - they were just playing a better team last night ;) ;) ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Newcastle United)

Defenders: Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), John Stones (Manchester City), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Levi Colwill (Chelsea), Rico Lewis (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Conor Gallagher (Atletico Madrid), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Morgan Gibbs-White (Nottingham Forest), Angel Gomes (Lille), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

Forwards: Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Noni Madueke (Chelsea) Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa), Dominic Solanke (Tottenham Hotspur)

Surprised not to see the likes of Rodgers in the squad

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Newcastle United)

Defenders: Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), John Stones (Manchester City), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Levi Colwill (Chelsea), Rico Lewis (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Conor Gallagher (Atletico Madrid), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Morgan Gibbs-White (Nottingham Forest), Angel Gomes (Lille), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

Forwards: Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Noni Madueke (Chelsea) Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa), Dominic Solanke (Tottenham Hotspur)

Surprised not to see the likes of Rodgers in the squad
Rogers in the U21 squad so I imagine Carsley wants him to get more experience at that level

Red devil

Visit site
Sorry - busy morning!

Anyone would think you'd had a good night!