The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was the whole team that lost that ability.
This comes back to whose to blame? Southgate or the players.

If we could see players struggling why did he keep picking them?

Players. No way can Southgate teach rice not to trap a ball when he does it excellent for arsenal. Or jude to get Billy big balls and try and take on everyone rather than keep it simple

We saw some of the best passers in the game unable to string passes together, coached by some of the best around. It's on them not the manager

PaulMdj

Visit site
Players. No way can Southgate teach rice not to trap a ball when he does it excellent for arsenal. Or jude to get Billy big balls and try and take on everyone rather than keep it simple

We saw some of the best passers in the game unable to string passes together, coached by some of the best around. It's on them not the manager
So at half time or post match analysis there is nothing a coach can say or do?😂😂

Who organises training?

PaulMdj

Visit site
We performed better in most second halfs no? Proof that he changed tactics and things worked.

Far too much Southgate bashing and not enough respect
No, best spell apart from Dutch match was first 35 minutes against Serbia and first 20 against Denmark when we were 1 up in both.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
We performed better in most second halfs no? Proof that he changed tactics and things worked.

Far too much Southgate bashing and not enough respect
Respect for what ?

He won nothing , that’s no different than any other manager , many will see the disappointments of failing to turn up against the top team when it matters

Well done on reaching finals - unfortunately when looking at honours they don’t count

PaulMdj

Visit site
Funny we won in the 90th min against the Dutch with great football.
You’re ducking and weaving! I stated the semi-final was our best performance, but mentioning a 90th minute goal when you’re point about 2nd half displays being better was proven wrong is clutching at straws.

Bye the way, Southgate deserves and got massive respect for what he did over the 8 years, but that doesn’t mean we can’t mention the negatives and highlight were we believed he got it wrong.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’re ducking and weaving! I stated the semi-final was our best performance, but mentioning a 90th minute goal when you’re point about 2nd half displays being better was proven wrong is clutching at straws.

Bye the way, Southgate deserves and got massive respect for what he did over the 8 years, but that doesn’t mean we can’t mention the negatives and highlight were we believed he got it wrong.

Indeed. Not dropping Bellingham into the number 8 and starting kane too often I agree big mistakes

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did England play that well against Holland ? I guess when compared to previous games it was a small step up but it wasn’t that great
Well I’m no expert but the first half I thought we played some excellent football and for the first and only time in the whole competition we looked like we played as team who knew what they were doing.

Swango1980

Visit site

All those best passers in the game play in teams who play on the front foot. They have numerous team mates making good movements, opening up spaces and creating opportunities.

Now ask those players to play in a team with a negative, mundane mindset. Many of those passes are no longer on, because their team mates are simply playing nothing like the team mates at their club. And defenders are able to get tighter.

Individual players can have the odd bad game. But if the entire team, many who you say are the best passers in the game, then the issue runs much deeper than individuals just having bad games. Instead, it seems to me that they are getting frustrated as they are just running into brick walls, because apparently their culture does not permit them to play more attacking football as a team :)

4LEX

Visit site
I think the likes of Pep and Klopp are far too savvy anyway - they know that England manager is just about the worst job in football. 'Thankless task' doesn't begin to cover it.

Disagree. It's probably the hardest due to the media and expectation levels.

However anyone that takes it and wins a trophy will cement their status as a god in English football. And of course who wouldn't want to come in and work with the talent we've got? Especially in a time where there's no real top quality international teams. Throw in £8-10m a year for a part time job.

Shocking job that :sneaky:;)

4LEX

Visit site
I think if ETH gets the sack in 3-4 months, I can see Ruud Van Nistlerooy taking his place.

And if Southgate hasn't got a managerial job in 3-4 months, that should be another sign to INEOS that no club of any real quality want the guy as their manager.

As much as I don't rate ETH, it would make more sense to stick with him than give it to RVN. He's got a better track record behind him. The day Man Utd give it to RVN would be the day you know INEOS are scraping around. RVN will be a great additon to the coaching staff and has probably been brought in against ETH's wishes, which is a positive sign. It shows the new owners are putting a serious structure together and don't care what the manager thinks.

4LEX

Visit site
Brazil?? Anyone who thinks we can be remotely like Brazil doesn't understand football. It's entirely different culture to English football. Don't see many England players learning on the streets and playing themselves into a move to get their families out of poverty..

Not to mention the quality of defenders for those sides mentioned

We had stones and walker as our actual tried and trusted first choice.

Caful, Carlos, Lucio, not to mention Ronaldo (the real one) ronaldinho , rivaldo .. 3 of the top players in history.

France? Again proper defenders. Mixed with talent on the pitch like Zidane ..

Spain? Oh that little mismatch of a defence in puyol, Ramos, pique.. xavi and inesita two of the finest midfielders of a generation .. with Busquets shielding that defence .. not to mention Torres and villa ..

We were a right side dominate team with a make shift defence . To compare our squad with the greats is laughable.

You mock Stones and Walker but they've won more than a lot of 'proper' defenders you've bigged up.

R9 was on another level when fit, Ronaldinho was great for 4-5 years and Rivaldo was nowhere near the top 3 players in history. I doubt any of them would even get into the Top 25 of the best players in history. Anyway, Brazil are finished at international level for a good while and have a poor team.

France granted were a special all round team in 98 and 00.

Ditto Spain from 08 and 10.

We had our issues, most caused by the manager. But pound for pound, squad wise, we were the best in this tournament. We never had the chance to show that due to basic systems, coaching and a disgraceful use of the squad. We played badly, limped to the final and it still took a late goal to knock us out. I can see us winning the next two major tournaments if we have the right man in charge.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
As much as I don't rate ETH, it would make more sense to stick with him than give it to RVN. He's got a better track record behind him. The day Man Utd give it to RVN would be the day you know INEOS are scraping around. RVN will be a great additon to the coaching staff and has probably been brought in against ETH's wishes, which is a positive sign. It shows the new owners are putting a serious structure together and don't care what the manager thinks.

The structure is looking really good now, and I’m really liking the way the transfer window is starting to unfold. I’ve not felt this positive about the start of a new season since, well, last season.

Seriously, though, there is a different feel about the way United are going about their business.

4LEX

Visit site
The structure is looking really good now, and I’m really liking the way the transfer window is starting to unfold. I’ve not felt this positive about the start of a new season since, well, last season.

Seriously, though, there is a different feel about the way United are going about their business.

Huge changes. Even stuff like selling Greenwood ASAP and getting Sancho back in. That would never have happened before, it would be two more season loans, delay the issue and wasting the players value.

It's clearly a 2-3 year project but there looks to be a plan in place and football people are in charge in that side of things.

Swango1980

Visit site
As I clarified after, I didn't mean full time. I meant hold the fort, while INEOS look for a proper replacement. Rather than give the job to Southgate. That could be one of my worst nightmares

Swango1980

Visit site

Yoro got his debut today. Nice comfortable start to get bedded in

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Huge changes. Even stuff like selling Greenwood ASAP and getting Sancho back in. That would never have happened before, it would be two more season loans, delay the issue and wasting the players value.

It's clearly a 2-3 year project but there looks to be a plan in place and football people are in charge in that side of things.

Certainly any reintegration of Sancho feels very much as though a new face has sat the player and manager down, either separately or together, and told them to get it sorted.

The most encouraging thing for me is the speed with which deals are being done. It’s not been this way at United for years and is like a breath of fresh air.