The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On domestic matters, new transfer window no1, the accounts window, closed yesterday. Newcastle dodged their bullet by selling two players for £60-65m, keeping their big names, for now. A real shame that Elliott Anderson was one to go. A local lad, fans loved him, a good part of the squad. Him going reduces the depth, good old FFP :rolleyes:.

A good signing for Forest, although £30-35m sounds excessive. Saying that, a keeper is going the other way so it may be more funky accounting by the time it is all over.

Swango1980

Visit site
that maybe true but we are where we are, might not be convincing but we've got the job done. This week is our biggest test, so just got to see who turns up & wants it more, and for us it seems the players on the bench do
That almost sounds like a surgeon, who performs a simple operation, but almost kills the patient. Thankfully, the patient lives to tell the tale, and the performance of the surgeon can simply be "well, it wasn't convincing, be he got the job done"

As for your second sentence, I think that is completely false. I think all the players that start the games want it just as much as anyone else. I wouldn't question any of the players appetite to win. For me, it is the way Southgate has them playing is what is destroying them. Let's say he drops Kane for Toney or Watkins in next game, do people genuinely think that will be the key and England will suddenly play like favourites? Unlikely. I think they could equally be awful, and suddenly people will be slagging off Southgate for not picking one of the best strikers in the world. Toney played well last night, because they started hoofing the ball forward, and he is good at winning the ball. I'm not sure England would play that way from the 1st minute, although it is probably better the players do, instead of following Southgate's orders.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One of the surprising things for me last night was that it finished 11 a-side. After the first 15-20 minutes, the referee seemed to have been told to keep his cards in his pocket as he was letting a lot more fouls (from both sides) go without further punishment.
Thought a couple of their players were lucky to stay on after getting early yellows

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
From the 25th minute England needed a goal and Southgate waited until the 94th minute before bringing on another striker. If anyone can tell me that is an act of someone who knows what they're doing I'll stand corrected. I think it's sheer incompetence.
As for Kane and Bellingham's "celebration " they should be embarrassed.

Agree with both of these. The first change we made (Palmer on for Trippier) was only due to injury. Despite us coming out in the second half and playing largely as we had in the first it wasn't until the 84th minute that GS decided he'd seen enough and stuck Eze on. I struggled watching the second half knowing we had Eze, Gordon etc on the bench and they were seemingly not required even though the players on the pitch were doing absolutely nothing.

I also mentioned the Kane/Bellingham celebration earlier today, it was ridiculous.

I also saw Bellingham's comments after the match where he suggested the England team were hard done by.... "You hear people talk a lot of rubbish. It's nice when you can deliver and give them a little bit back." Granted he got the goal but it was just one moment of quality in the entire match. Even after Kane got the second it still looked to be more likely that they would get a second than we would a third.

crdb

Visit site
One of the surprising things for me last night was that it finished 11 a-side. After the first 15-20 minutes, the referee seemed to have been told to keep his cards in his pocket as he was letting a lot more fouls (from both sides) go without further punishment.
Yeah I noticed that, very surprised there wasn't a red card shown at least once

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A Leeds fan called TalkSport this morning about 7.20am, and spouted the biggest load of bilge I have ever heard.

Southgate got his substitutions spot on, his tactics and game management were excellent, it was a professional performance, we got the job done blah, blah. It was comedy gold.

The only thing missing was the glaringly obvious question - how did you feel when the game was 94 minutes old, you plum?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
A Leeds fan called TalkSport this morning about 7.20am, and spouted the biggest load of bilge I have ever heard.

Southgate got his substitutions spot on, his tactics and game management were excellent, it was a professional performance, we got the job done blah, blah. It was comedy gold.

The only thing missing was the glaringly obvious question - how did you feel when the game was 94 minutes old, you plum?

It was embarrassing - they go worse later as well

Can only think they were the England fans caught doing cocaine on camera in the stands

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Talksport - The Sun of radio broadcasting. Anything for a story. Hawksbee and Jacobs was the only show I listened to

PaulMdj

Visit site
This may across a bit strange, out of order, whatever:

First things first, Southgate needs gone as soon as possible, how we’ve managed to reach the quarters with those 4 performances is beyond me, probably 2-3 players can be satisfied how’ve they’ve played, but.

I’m sure some only started following football 2 weeks ago!

Do you really not expect any player to celebrate or over-react after scoring a 95th minute equaliser or then expect them to speak to the media 5-30 mins after winning the game and slag off team mates or criticise the manager!

As for other Football fans, there isn’t one of us who hasn’t got delusional at times.

Some of the things I’ve read this morning are unreal.

The Switzerland game, certainly din’t expect us to get through, but I’m 100% behind Southgate and the Squad until these Euros are over.

Apologies if anyone is offended.😇

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

First things first, Southgate needs gone as soon as possible, how we’ve managed to reach the quarters with those 4 performances is beyond me, probably 2-3 players can be satisfied how’ve they’ve played, but.

Do you really not expect any player to celebrate or over-react after scoring a 95th minute equaliser or then expect them to speak to the media 5-30 mins after winning the game and slag off team mates or criticise the manager!

As for other Football fans, there isn’t one of us who hasn’t got delusional at times.

The Switzerland game, certainly din’t expect us to get through, but I’m 100% behind Southgate and the Squad until these Euros are over.

I genuinely think the players reactions were a little over-the-top - of course it's a national tournament so easy for them to get carried away with the emotions of it. But the reaction I expected for a late equaliser was the 'grab the ball and take it back for kick-off' thing that teams do when they need an another goal. Not milk the fact that we've scraped extra time with a poor side. Albeit, it was an excellent goal technically so that obviously would have heightened Jude's emotion as well.

It's a double-edge sword, of course they are going to celebrate and get carried away, it just grates on the fans when we've watched four games of utter dross.

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site
I genuinely think the players reactions were a little over-the-top - of course it's a national tournament so easy for them to get carried away with the emotions of it. But the reaction I expected for a late equaliser was the 'grab the ball and take it back for kick-off' thing that teams do when they need an another goal. Not milk the fact that we've scraped extra time with a poor side. Albeit, it was an excellent goal technical so that obviously would have heightened Jude's emotion as well.

It's a double-edge sword, of course they are going to celebrate and get carried away, it just grates on the fans when we've watched four games of utter dross.
Not denying that, I agree, my point is, What do you expect? 99% of today’s Pro’s are completely out of touch with reality.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
This England team are growing in confidence every game. By the time they play in the final all the problems will have been ironed out.
On the other side of the draw it looks like Spain will probably get to the final. It also looks like they will have used up all their goals by then and England will win comfortably , probably 3-0.

Swango1980

Visit site
Agree with both of these. The first change we made (Palmer on for Trippier) was only due to injury. Despite us coming out in the second half and playing largely as we had in the first it wasn't until the 84th minute that GS decided he'd seen enough and stuck Eze on. I struggled watching the second half knowing we had Eze, Gordon etc on the bench and they were seemingly not required even though the players on the pitch were doing absolutely nothing.

I also mentioned the Kane/Bellingham celebration earlier today, it was ridiculous.

I also saw Bellingham's comments after the match where he suggested the England team were hard done by.... "You hear people talk a lot of rubbish. It's nice when you can deliver and give them a little bit back." Granted he got the goal but it was just one moment of quality in the entire match. Even after Kane got the second it still looked to be more likely that they would get a second than we would a third.
Yeah, Bellingham is normally good in the interviews, but it almost came across like he was blaming the media and fans for the sluggish performances, and that if they stayed positive and supported the side, then the team would play much better.

Had he just said that they had not played to the standards they aim for, but will try to meet those standards in the next game, I think that would have been perfectly adequate. There are a lot of England fans who have spent a small fortune in going to the actual games, taking a lot of leave from their jobs and dedicate that to following England. So, if the side play absolutely diabolical, boring football and look completely clueless, I think it is perfectly fine for the fans to be critical. And, lets be fair, this group of England players have also received massive praise during their time as well

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This England team are growing in confidence every game. By the time they play in the final all the problems will have been ironed out.
On the other side of the draw it looks like Spain will probably get to the final. It also looks like they will have used up all their goals by then and England will win comfortably , probably 3-0.
It's not just the feller from Phil's Twitter video that's on drugs then.

Swango1980

Visit site

Second line: Southgate needs gone as soon as possible

Second to last line: but I’m 100% behind Southgate and the Squad until these Euros are over

I think you are being optimistic with your 100% estimation. In that post alone, 50% of the points you made on Southgate were not entirely supportive :ROFLMAO:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That’s you in the stands on the video isn’t it 😁