The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So why isn’t Stones telling them to move, get out the way etc, couple of times yesterday Bellingham was between the lines asking for the ball and Stones ignored him.
We’re talking international footballers here they should know what to do when the CB has the ball and not have to be told during the game, that’s training ground stuff .

I just don’t think England have anyone who sees a pass quick enough. Apart from TAA and he’s warming the bench.

Stones is used to having Citys midfield in front of him, that’s a step up from what England have imo.
By the time they have had three touches the op is back in their shape .
Imho the biggest problem is we’re just to slow getting the ball from back to front.

Kane has scored two goals inside the six yd box but the service to him has been awful.
Partly his own fault as he seems to want to play in midfield.

Swango1980

Visit site
I am very anti to Non-English people giving advice about the England Football Team, worry about your own team.

One minute they like to tell us were we are going wrong and then take the michael when we lose.

No thanks.

Views I’ll take very seriously, advice? Nah, not for me.👍🏻
You've already said that. No need to keep repeating. I find it offensive that someone can be so narrow minded to simply ignore the view of an individual based on simply where they are from.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you are only too happy to comment on the Scotland national team, or club sides you don't support.

Just imagine how rubbish this forum would be if everybody's comment was pretty much responded to with "you don't support that team, your view should not be taken seriously"

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The question is, what IS he telling them? Because, he clearly isn't giving them anything like the same message that they get from their club managers. He clearly isn't playing formations that allow what you ask for to be easy.

I can accept one or 2 players playing badly, it happens. But, the entire team is woeful, that is on Southgate. If we could just blame the players for not playing like they do at their clubs, then there is no real need for a manager at all. Just someone to pick 11 players to start, and then ask them to go out any play.
No-one is playing out of position so they shouldn't need telling what to do, they should know

PaulMdj

Visit site
People are very quick to put all the blame on Southgate , and I am not his biggest fan by a long way, but the players he has put on the pitch are (supposedly) very good players who have won a lot at club level and they are just not playing well. I'm sure Southgate hasn't told them just to pass sideways and backwards, told them not to make runs into space, etc. These are experienced players who are meant to be leaders so why aren't they performing. It is not just the manager.
Exactly, said the same thing last week, the inability to pass to one another, lack of communication, perfect example of that was the long range shot they had yesterday from our free kick near the half way line.

Set up, tactics etc, all down to Southgate, but performance on the pitch has been woeful.

Players need to take some responsibility.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People are very quick to put all the blame on Southgate , and I am not his biggest fan by a long way, but the players he has put on the pitch are (supposedly) very good players who have won a lot at club level and they are just not playing well. I'm sure Southgate hasn't told them just to pass sideways and backwards, told them not to make runs into space, etc. These are experienced players who are meant to be leaders so why aren't they performing. It is not just the manager.
Imo their scared of making a mistake so they don’t play the killer pass and play safe.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Not just the manager but

He is the one to employ the tactics

He is the one on the sideline that can make changes

He is the one that decided at half time that it was all fine and no changes needed

He was the one that decided to wait until 90 mins to bring on another forward

Doesn’t excuse basic football mistakes I agree but he sets the tonr

Along with a very uninspiring captain

YandaB

Visit site
No-one is playing out of position so they shouldn't need telling what to do, they should know
So the only logical conclusion is that they have all been told to do something different. I did hear a rumour that the reason Ben White refuses to play is that he would be instructed to never cross the half way line and he refuses to play like that.

PaulMdj

Visit site
You've already said that. No need to keep repeating. I find it offensive that someone can be so narrow minded to simply ignore the view of an individual based on simply where they are from.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you are only too happy to comment on the Scotland national team, or club sides you don't support.

Just imagine how rubbish this forum would be if everybody's comment was pretty much responded to with "you don't support that team, your view should not be taken seriously"
Never commented on Scotland, not interested in them unless they play England.

Club level, fill your boots.

Too old and too much anti-English stuff over the years to care about other Nations.

As you say, it’s a forum and I’m well aware of the guidelines.👍🏻

PaulMdj

Visit site
Not just the manager but

He is the one to employ the tactics

He is the one on the sideline that can make changes

He is the one that decided at half time that it was all fine and no changes needed

He was the one that decided to wait until 90 mins to bring on another forward

Doesn’t excuse basic football mistakes I agree but he sets the tonr

Along with a very uninspiring captain
But, but we won.😇

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So the only logical conclusion is that they have all been told to do something different. I did hear a rumour that the reason Ben White refuses to play is that he would be instructed to never cross the half way line and he refuses to play like that.
So Southgate is such a hard taskmaster that the players are too scared to try something different when they can see something clearly isn’t working? Really?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So Southgate is such a hard taskmaster that the players are too scared to try something different when they can see something clearly isn’t working? Really?
Not sure they are scared to try something different but we lack direction from Southgate on the side as he doesn't have a plan B (some might say a plan A too) and there isn't a leader on the pitch to galvanise and lead a team into changing it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Won't happen but I'd quite like to see this line-up next:
Walker - Stones - Konsa - Shaw
Bellingham - Rice
Palmer - Foden - Saka
Kane
Or even something like this, given that we've lost the left side of our defence and I've no idea if Shaw has any fitness at all:

Walker - Stones - Konsa
Trent - Bellingham - Rice - Saka
Palmer - Kane - Foden
Buuut we all know it'll probably be this:
Walker - Stones - Konsa - Shaw/Gomez?
Mainoo - Rice
Saka - Bellingham - Foden
Kane​

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bellingham - Rice
Palmer - Foden - Saka
Kane
Or even something like this, given that we've lost the left side of our defence and I've no idea if Shaw has any fitness at all:

Walker - Stones - Konsa
Palmer - Kane - Foden
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​
Why Rice? Hasn't done anything at all. Unless he has the same sort of photos of you that he does of GS?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Applying some twisted GS logic....
Best chance of beating the Swiss may be by penalties. So, don't start with Kane, keep him back until later in the game, so he can make it through extra time okay.
Who knows maybe the extra energy in the first half might pay off with a performance....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are times when Stones frustrates me for City. He carries the ball at walking pace a few paces, pointing at something, draws a player or two on and then shifts it sideways. I think he's waiting for a run and for sure he's getting more of that in front of him at City. For England he doesn't get enough options so shifts it sideways or back having brought the press on...

crdb

Visit site
Bellingham - Rice
Palmer - Foden - Saka
Kane

Walker - Stones - Konsa
Palmer - Kane - Foden
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​
Heard Shaw is recovering well & had a chance of playing yesterday, obviously wasn't up to it with the perfect situation arising with trippier going off! Hopefully he will be fit for saturday as he'd me my choice left back from the start.

I do think palmer deserves a chance to start though, not sure why its taken so long for him to get in the team

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are times when Stones frustrates me for City. He carries the ball at walking pace a few paces, pointing at something, draws a player or two on and then shifts it sideways. I think he's waiting for a run and for sure he's getting more of that in front of him at City. For England he doesn't get enough options so shifts it sideways or back having brought the press on...
Yes I agree.
But can’t GS see that and sort it out in training.?