The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So weve appointed a test match coach who has never coached a single game of first class cricket, whose only experience post retiring as a player is as a commentator and a consultant coach in the IPHell. He may well turn out to be a decent coach but hes nothing more than a completely inexperienced punt currently, a bit like his boss....

Id like to say im surprised but gave that up as far as the ECB were concerned years ago........

greenone

Visit site
So weve appointed a test match coach who has never coached a single game of first class cricket, whose only experience post retiring as a player is as a commentator and a consultant coach in the IPHell. He may well turn out to be a decent coach but hes nothing more than a completely inexperienced punt currently, a bit like his boss....

Id like to say im surprised but gave that up as far as the ECB were concerned years ago........
I think you need to look at what he did as a captain in changing the culture of the kiwi team. If he does half of what he did there it will be job accomplished.

Edit: He's coach of the England team, the only 'coaching' he should be doing at that level is between the ears.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

It is a bizarre appointment on the face of it, I agree.

I loved the way New Zealand played their cricket under McCullum’s captaincy, but it remains to be seen whether he can cut it as a coach.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you need to look at what he did as a captain in changing the culture of the kiwi team. If he does half of what he did there it will be job accomplished.

Edit: He's coach of the England team, the only 'coaching' he should be doing at that level is between the ears.

If he'd been appointed team manager Id kind of agree, but he hasnt, hes been appointed head coach, a job he is clearly not qualified for apart from on the hope he can translate some of his captaincy skills

And you cant have watched us bat much lately if you dont think theres any need for coaching bar between the ears!!!!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is a bizarre appointment on the face of it, I agree.

I loved the way New Zealand played their cricket under McCullum’s captaincy, but it remains to be seen whether he can cut it as a coach.

just dont understand why were finding out whether he can coach red ball cricket with our international test team, plenty of other places to cut your teeth first imo

greenone

Visit site
And you cant have watched us bat much lately if you dont think theres any need for coaching bar between the ears!!!!!
A few days before a test match is not place to be coaching batting technique, that's what the county's are for. But as the county red ball cricket has been pushed to the margins it's not surprising that the batting standards have fallen, whilst also padding the bowlers stats which also hinders devolpment of genuine test match bowlers.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A few days before a test match is not place to be coaching batting technique, that's what the county's are for. But as the county red ball cricket has been pushed to the margins it's not surprising that the batting standards have fallen, whilst also padding the bowlers stats which also hinders devolpment of genuine test match bowlers.

agree the few days before a test isnt the time to be making major changes (but minor tweaks are possible) but there are definitely times in the season where the england coach should be offering some technical coaching to the players or at least managing the coaching that they do need that they should be getting through the other england coaches or the counties, cant see how a head coach with no coaching expertise can possibly do this

if his role isnt to coach or manage the england players coaching, what is the actual role of england head coach?

greenone

Visit site
agree the few days before a test isnt the time to be making major changes (but minor tweaks are possible) but there are definitely times in the season where the england coach should be offering some technical coaching to the players or at least managing the coaching that they do need that they should be getting through the other england coaches or the counties, cant see how a head coach with no coaching expertise can possibly do this

if his role isnt to coach or manage the england players coaching, what is the actual role of england head coach?
Most of these players have their own coach/mentor that they've used for years. cook worked with gooch for example. To many cooks spoil the broth, which could an issue with the old regime.

I know from our club nets there is one person I would listen to about my own game, and I'd never offer advice to anyone about their game unless asked.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most of these players have their own coach/mentor that they've used for years. cook worked with gooch for example. To many cooks spoil the broth, which could an issue with the old regime.

I know from our club nets there is one person I would listen to about my own game, and I'd never offer advice to anyone about their game unless asked.

then whats the role of england head coach and why bother having one?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well they have tried the safe hands of the head coach who has done the county game

So I’m actually looking forward to it and think it’s a bold move - looking forward to it

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a step forward for England I believe. Too often England try not to lose rather than try to win. He will change that.

Agree with this, I may sound naive but exactly how much input does the coach have when the teams are in the field, is it not mainly down to the captain? Having BM on the training ground and in the dressing room would be huge imo, I’d certainly follow him into battle ?

Grizzly

Visit site
Look, the biggest thing that McCullum has going for him as against the likes of Peter Moores and Chris Silverwood is that noone is going to look at him/listen to him in the dressing room and think "what has this bloke ever achieved?" That will mean that when he tries to influence the team culture and get players to make the little shifts, often in mindset at this level, they will be inclined to listen and engage - we're talking little things like getting the top order players like Sibley to be a bit more proactive rotating the strike.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having watched the series “This could go anywhere” with him and Tuffers, I would say he’s an excellent choice who tells it like it is but has a way about him that should bring the best out of the players. In a way, he reminds me of Klopp.
Also, as the coach probably is part of the team selection team it strikes me he is going to have no favourites ingrained into him like is often the case with home grown coaches.

RichA

Visit site
Agree with this, I may sound naive but exactly how much input does the coach have when the teams are in the field, is it not mainly down to the captain? Having BM on the training ground and in the dressing room would be huge imo, I’d certainly follow him into battle ?
100%.
Cricket isn't football. The role of the captain is massive, especially at test level. BM will be like an off the field captain to lead the team and mentor Stokes. Hopefully, they already know each other pretty well and will gel. England have lacked dynamic leadership for a while now. I'm optimistic and quite excited to see where this leads.

greenone

Visit site
100%.
Cricket isn't football. The role of the captain is massive, especially at test level. BM will be like an off the field captain to lead the team and mentor Stokes. Hopefully, they already know each other pretty well and will gel. England have lacked dynamic leadership for a while now. I'm optimistic and quite excited to see where this leads.
Will hopefully be the end of the soporific captaincy like we've seen under strauss, cook and root.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The mind set had to change and I'm for one am excited/intrigued by BM's appointment. I want us to attack teams rather than Silverwood and Root's policy of containment. Now, whether we have the talent in the squad to do this is a different matter, but at least we are thinking a bit fresher, more out of the box.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sometimes I do not understand the logic in County Cricket and when to declare. Lancashire have drawn their last 2 games and were on top in theory in both matches.

Batting 2nd day 450/4 with 55 overs left today. Why not bat for another 20 overs say at 6/7 per over and declare rather than going along @3.5 per over. Realise about the follow on but it will still be a big ask for Yorkshire to avoid the follow on. Nothing to lose!

Over to you more knowledgeable guys, Fundy Billy B. LP etc

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
England should be scoring loads of runs this summer if this round of County Champs is anything to go by. As of now (just after lunch on day 2) , all 4 teams batting first in Div 1 have got over 450 runs, 3 of them over 500!
So, is the answer:
a. Batters are really good
b. Bowlers are really bad
c. Pitches are being prepared to over help batters

I know which answer I suspect is the right one :rolleyes: