The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This snippet from the BBC Sport live coverage of the second Test absolutely sums up everything which is wrong with both England’s selection policy and the structure of cricket in this country;

“Moeen Ali's last red-ball game in England was in September 2019 for Worcestershire against Glamorgan.”

Absolutely, completely and utterly bonkers. Winter Ashes whitewash, anyone?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hoping the new ball can do something. Eng have been quite disciplined. Anderson and Robinson bowled well at the start, Curran beat the bat a lot and Ali has bowled with control. My issue is with the easy runs Root gives away with his field placings.

Can't take anything away from the openers, Raul and Sharma were excellent. Quality test match batting.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Proper cricket today… except for the first session nothing much for the bowlers. Masterclass from KL Rahul. feel sorry for Rohit missing out. Jimmy set him well and it was almost unplayable.

Kholi must be a happy man .. finally a non-binary score for him…

Tomorrow will be interesting, am assuming India would be aiming for a 400+ score (if not 500). Nothing in the pitch for bowlers. Test of batsman to grind it out.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A friend had 2 tkts for Sat - Day 3. He cant go due to family. So got it off him.

Now looking forward to being at Lords. First experience of watching a test match with my son at Lords. Not the best seat in the house - lower Grand Stands. Very square.
Have a watched a couple of T20, but never a test. Good test of patience.

A few checklists
1) Buy a sky radio earpiece
2) Dont OD on booze (i think i will carry couple of cans rather than buy)
3) phone battery pack

Anything else to survive a full day at Lords.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend had 2 tkts for Sat - Day 3. He cant go due to family. So got it off him.

Now looking forward to being at Lords. First experience of watching a test match with my son at Lords. Not the best seat in the house - lower Grand Stands. Very square.

A few checklists
3) phone battery pack

Don't think you're allowed to take any drink in these days, maybe a bottle of water.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

A few checklists
3) phone battery pack

I’ve sat grandstand lower a few times, front row once, towards the end of the day as the light was fading I really struggled to see the ball but that’s probably my bad eyes…. Take plenty of food and water. Queues and prices are awful. Take a jumper, sunscreen and an umbrella whatever the forecast. I always get the tube to Regent’s Park and walk through the park. Find it easier than St. John’s Wood. It’s a great day out but very tiring!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve sat grandstand lower a few times, front row once, towards the end of the day as the light was fading I really struggled to see the ball but that’s probably my bad eyes…. Take plenty of food and water. Queues and prices are awful. Take a jumper, sunscreen and an umbrella whatever the forecast. I always get the tube to Regent’s Park and walk through the park. Find it easier than St. John’s Wood. It’s a great day out but very tiring!

See the pics, i suspect that visibility from lower grand will be a challenge towards end of day. I have been lucky to be hosted a few times. Only once, I had to forage for food and drink and you are right, the lines and prices are a rip off (you would expect that). No rain forecasted for tomorrow - but it was not yesterday either. tnx for the Regent street tip. Can see the logic in that esp post match when everyone troops in.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A few checklists
3) phone battery pack

dont do numbers 1 or 2 :) sunglasses and a decent hat is a must, suncream for those of us liable to burn too

personally would try and pack some food/drink too, can be long queues and hefty prices

If you have a hand held pair of binoculars they can be useful, especially if your lad wants to look at the players at the pavillion etc

at lords you can usually head over to the nursery ground and the nets before the game or at the breaks where you may get to see the players closer up (if you can watch the nets it can be fun), theres usually lots going on at the nursery ground too. not sure if all the same with covid though.

Enjoy :)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See the pics, i suspect that visibility from lower grand will be a challenge towards end of day. I have been lucky to be hosted a few times. Only once, I had to forage for food and drink and you are right, the lines and prices are a rip off (you would expect that). No rain forecasted for tomorrow - but it was not yesterday either. tnx for the Regent street tip. Can see the logic in that esp post match when everyone troops in.

For god's sake make sure you go to Regent's Park and not Regent Street. It would be a longer walk if you mix them up.