The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Having The Hundred broadcast on both Sky and BBC makes for interesting viewing.

I have spent the last half hour flicking between the two channels and the difference in the quality of commentary is absolutely vast. Huge.

On the one hand there is the professionalism of Sky with the insight of Key and Hussain. And on the BBC the amateurish Tufnell and Vaughan. It’s not so much men versus boys as grandfathers versus embryos. The contrast could not be greater.

Is it any wonder BBC has lost the rights to almost all live sports broadcasting?

D

Deleted member 15344

Such a shame that the counties main one day cup is being ignored and dismissed

It looks like our defence of the cup will be over soon - no surprise really with the spine of our squad playing in the Hundred

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like Jack Leach will be twiddling his thumbs again. Appalling treatment by England. They now have a squad of 18 (!) under the thin veil of COVID cover. Someone like Leach has barely played this summer and is not being helped by this sort of policy. Wouldnt blame him for withdrawing from the squad to get some game time but even then that may not happen as 12 of the 18 counties (i.e. those that dont qualify from the RLODC groups) dont have a game for two weeks at the back end of August!

As someone tweeted earlier, the players are being treated like pawns. The Stokes situation should be ringing alarm bells in the England camp with what is expected of him. Leach would be the flip side; barely playing a game and watching the season drift away.

D

Deleted member 15344

Looks like Jack Leach will be twiddling his thumbs again. Appalling treatment by England. They now have a squad of 18 (!) under the thin veil of COVID cover. Someone like Leach has barely played this summer and is not being helped by this sort of policy. Wouldnt blame him for withdrawing from the squad to get some game time but even then that may not happen as 12 of the 18 counties (i.e. those that dont qualify from the RLODC groups) dont have a game for two weeks at the back end of August!

As someone tweeted earlier, the players are being treated like pawns. The Stokes situation should be ringing alarm bells in the England camp with what is expected of him. Leach would be the flip side; barely playing a game and watching the season drift away.

It’s a disgrace and shocking treatment of Leach , if he doesn’t play I would love if he walked away and then England would be missing their best spinning option

Even worse if they dump Ali straight into the team like they have done previously- the whole set up needs a good shake up and that includes the captain

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If you believe the press England could potentially be without their first 8 choice bowlers next test and for a laugh will change 3 of their batsmen after one test too, no Johnny dont worry your safe lol

Broad rumoured to be out, Andersen a doubt to add to no Archer, Woakes, Stone, Stokes, Leach or Bess

Its OK though because a couple of ok performances in hit and giggle is plenty for some to walk straight back into the test side

Posted similar re Leach on twitter earlier, clearly not going to pick him, give him a rest from carrying drinks and let him go and play some cricket, any cricket, even a few games at club level be better than what theyre subjecting him to!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s a disgrace and shocking treatment of Leach , if he doesn’t play I would love if he walked away and then England would be missing their best spinning option

Even worse if they dump Ali straight into the team like they have done previously- the whole set up needs a good shake up and that includes the captain

they will pick Pope and Ali for sure for the next test, likely Hameed too

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having The Hundred broadcast on both Sky and BBC makes for interesting viewing.

I have spent the last half hour flicking between the two channels and the difference in the quality of commentary is absolutely vast. Huge.

On the one hand there is the professionalism of Sky with the insight of Key and Hussain. And on the BBC the amateurish Tufnell and Vaughan. It’s not so much men versus boys as grandfathers versus embryos. The contrast could not be greater.

Is it any wonder BBC has lost the rights to almost all live sports broadcasting?

I'd wager the BBC coverage has been instructed to cover the masses, with Sky covering the hardcore.

I still can't watch The Hundred. Just has no attraction for me.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd wager the BBC coverage has been instructed to cover the masses, with Sky covering the hardcore.

I still can't watch The Hundred. Just has no attraction for me.

I refuse to watch it or even engage with it. I don't even mention it on Twitter. I was part of the generation that T20 was created for to try and entice to watch cricket. Nearly 20 years on I've been deemed as 'part of the problem' (according to Don Topley) and surplus to requirements for no good reason other than that I am the wrong side of 30. So they can jog on.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Leach isn't the first and won't be the last to be treated like this. If England win the T20 WC later this year, then ECB will be happy chaps as we get steam-rolled in the Ashes.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it wrong to want to see England get a bit of a stuffing to show them that their selection policy is shocking

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just switched on and saw what I thought was a sub fielder drafted in off the streets with a borrowed kit. It was Hameed.

Reminded me in my playing days when a bloke came into bat wearing trainers - full bunger from our quick please!!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m not sure the problem is so much selection policy as the structure of the county game, which Michael Atherton this morning described as a joke.

Much as I have ongoing concerns regarding our batting fragility, with the lack of first class cricket being played now until September, I believe, I’m not sure how we can hope to change things for the better in the middle of a five Test series.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not sure the problem is so much selection policy as the structure of the county game, which Michael Atherton this morning described as a joke.

Much as I have ongoing concerns regarding our batting fragility, with the lack of first class cricket being played now until September, I believe, I’m not sure how we can hope to change things for the better in the middle of a five Test series.

Athers is correct, as was Hussain when he came in off of the long run earlier this summer about England. But they both work for an organisation that is behind such issues so their comments, whilst correct, are diluted for me because of their position. Maybe if they quit working for Sky.....but that ain't gonna happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s all down to the new manufactured white ball franchise cricket that will apparently improve our test team ( according to KP )

Also have to wonder if Curran has the same photos that Bairstow has

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is Kohli the unluckiest captain to never win a toss.. I read something like lost 9 of the last 10.

Great test level batting from India so far..