The Cricket Thread

D

Deleted member 18588

Could be worse.

I simply had to turn off the radio once Ebony Rainsford Brent started offering her opinion on how the England batsmen should be approaching things.

I can accept her as a commentator but she is not an expert pundit never having played the game .

That is according to her as when defending women's cricket from unfair comparison with the men's game she said that they should not be compared as they were different games.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Could be worse.

I simply had to turn off the radio once Ebony Rainsford Brent started offering her opinion on how the England batsmen should be approaching things.

I can accept her as a commentator but she is not an expert pundit never having played the game .

That is according to her as when defending women's cricket from unfair comparison with the men's game she said that they should not be compared as they were different games.

She played for England!

www.hiltonpark.net
I've never understood the dislike for Bairstow. He's a talented batsmen, decent enough keeper, who when his deficiencies have been exposed has always gone away and worked hard at his game and fought to get back in the team. He's not a top level player but he's a good solid international who has done plenty of positive things for the national team in all formats.
I guess as England fans we always need a bogeyman.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
She played for England!
You have missed his point, it's sailed over :D. The point MM was making was that when questioned in the past about comparing womens and mens cricket she stated they are too different to compare, ie power hitting, 6 hitting, an opening bowler in mens cricket could fire them down at up to 90-95mph, in womens cricket it is around 70-75mph. That would be bog average in mens club cricket, not considered quick. If they are different games then why is she there as an expert? All other pundits have played the game at the level they are discussing, can call upon their experience of it. She and other female cricketers can not do that when talking about mens test cricket. MM has stretched it to make a gag but his point is valid, imo. The credibility simply is not there for that role.

It's an issue across multiple sports right now as female pundits are brought in. Some are viable, horse racing for example, but others don't stand up. Cricket is one of those.

Last edited:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never understood the dislike for Bairstow. He's a talented batsmen, decent enough keeper, who when his deficiencies have been exposed has always gone away and worked hard at his game and fought to get back in the team. He's not a top level player but he's a good solid international who has done plenty of positive things for the national team in all formats.
I guess as England fans we always need a bogeyman.

His record in test cricket is mediocre apart from one year, 2016, but he gets more rope than any other batsman in test cricket. There is seemingly a desire for him to succeed. He's had over 70 tests and still looks suspect against pace bowling. How many other batsmen get that amount of time? There's already talk about one of Burns, Sibley or Crawley being dropped.

He also doesnt help himself with comments such as those about not outs and paddies about losing the wicket keeping gloves.

No qualms about him in white ball cricket but in red ball cricket he's had enough chances.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have missed his point, it's sailed over :D. The point MM was making was that when questioned in the past about comparing womens and mens cricket she stated they are too different to compare, ie power hitting, 6 hitting, an opening bowler in mens cricket could fire them down at up to 90-95mph, in womens cricket it is around 70-75mph. That would be bog average in mens club cricket, not considered quick. If they are different games then why is she there as an expert? All other pundits have played the game at the level they are discussing, can call upon their experience of it. She and other female cricketers can not do that when talking about mens test cricket. MM has stretched it to make a gag but his point is valid, imo. The credibility simply is not there for that role.

It's an issue across multiple sports right now as female pundits are brought in. Some are viable, horse racing for example, but others don't stand up. Cricket is one of those.

Careful, you'll be getting labelled a middle class sexist soon ??

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

ooopps that’s what 2 hours sleep does to your thinking

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
His record in test cricket is mediocre apart from one year, 2016, but he gets more rope than any other batsman in test cricket. There is seemingly a desire for him to succeed. He's had over 70 tests and still looks suspect against pace bowling. How many other batsmen get that amount of time? There's already talk about one of Burns, Sibley or Crawley being dropped.

He also doesnt help himself with comments such as those about not outs and paddies about losing the wicket keeping gloves.

No qualms about him in white ball cricket but in red ball cricket he's had enough chances.
A pretty fair assessment

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to love the inconsistency of the media on the Sri Lanka England test.

Sri Lanka get skittled out for 136, media criticises their lack of application. (quite rightly)
Sri Lanka bat with application, England's bowling is criticised, barely any credit given to the batsmen. :unsure: Don't worry that players like Bess and Leach have barely bowled in the last 12 months, they are just expected to rock up and produce brilliant performances.

People like Michael Vaughan are simply only interested in criticising. He is rapidly becoming the new Boycott.

What they fail to acknowledge is that this has been a great advert for test cricket. It has ebbed and flowed. Sri Lanka won the toss, batted first and, in the early stages, looked in charge. England wrestled the initiative and looked in the driving seat for the last couple of days but Sri Lanka have returned, taken the last 6 England wickets quickly, batted well and asked England a question. What an intriguing test match it has been! But hey, let's not let that get in the way of the media mud-slinging.

Totally agree. I've been muttering several times, "no, that's not right", etc. Vaughan is trying to shock-jock like Chris Sutton does on the football. Tiresome, really.

Kumar S has been great. I did like his snippet of commentary where he said Buttler was the second best wicket-keeper batsman in England. There was a pregnant pause where all were expecting him to say, "behind Johnny Bairstow"...in fact, he said behind Ben Foakes! :ROFLMAO:.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally agree. I've been muttering several times, "no, that's not right", etc. Vaughan is trying to shock-jock like Chris Sutton does on the football. Tiresome, really.

Kumar S has been great. I did like his snippet of commentary where he said Buttler was the second best wicket-keeper batsman in England. There was a pregnant pause where all were expecting him to say, "behind Johnny Bairstow"...in fact, he said behind Ben Foakes! :ROFLMAO:.

ex Surrey Kumar was never gonna say anyone but Foakes at no 1 ;) doesnt make him wrong though :)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah, this. In red ball, fast bowlers all over the world know how to get JB out. Pitch up a bit of inswing and he's gone. If he's worked on this aspect, then fair play, I hope it brings him lots of runs.

It's the feeling that his "face fits" in the boys club; others have been given as much of a chance and redemption as he has. Look at all the openers we've tried and very few came back for round 2. [Surrey rose tinted glasses on]. For a reason knot known to me, I never understood why Foakes was never given a second chance...first class average of just under 40 and a Test Match of 41.5. Not too shabby.

Nothing against JB. I'd like anyone in an England shirt to do well. I would just like all players to be selected on merit and treated equally.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
It's the feeling that his "face fits" in the boys club; others have been given as much of a chance and redemption as he has. Look at all the openers we've tried and very few came back for round 2. [Surrey rose tinted glasses on]. For a reason knot known to me, I never understood why Foakes was never given a second chance...first class average of just under 40 and a Test Match of 41.5. Not too shabby..

As many test tonnes as Buttler.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Didnt they say Foakes would definitely get some game time this winter, so assume he'll be playing on Friday or in India (not holding my breath)

He'd be in my team ahead of the two JB's. Then if you think they're good enough to bat, pick them if not drop them. But Bairstow is Root's ex house mate and they love Buttler

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well the Aus India series the best answer ever to those who think 4 day tests are the way forward!!!

Tea on the 5th day, all 4 results still possible and a cracking session to come. India been superb today so far, but still not going to be easy to get over the line on a wicket thats doing a bit more as the day goes on. Pujara an utter warrior (albeit have to wonder how many times he has to be hit for concussion protocols to intervene)