The Cricket Thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does 'niggle' mean I am bored now, can I go and sit in the dug out, and have a chat with my mates, while some lesser numpty stands out in the bundu?

highly likely..

Feel for Moen.. played some good cricket when he had a chance, otherwise seniormost water boy. Tough on him. Hopefully he will use the IPL to get some confidence back

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't wait for this tour to end now. There's been some excellent cricket but the polemics / politics that come with Indian cricket is just poisonous. Kohli is a law unto himself and could probably lump someone on the field and get away with it whilst some of the supposed Indian 'fans' on Twitter are grim.

Too much if international cricket has descended into a pathetic, nationalistic farce now. Everything comes with an agenda, the posturing / sledging / behaviour is worse than infantile and the attitudes of too many are atrocious. The Big 3 are all as bad as each other. I'd much rather watch anyone outside the Big 3 as at least they look like they are enjoying themselves without the me first everyone else can burn ethos.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't wait for this tour to end now. There's been some excellent cricket but the polemics / politics that come with Indian cricket is just poisonous. Kohli is a law unto himself and could probably lump someone on the field and get away with it whilst some of the supposed Indian 'fans' on Twitter are grim.

Too much if international cricket has descended into a pathetic, nationalistic farce now. Everything comes with an agenda, the posturing / sledging / behaviour is worse than infantile and the attitudes of too many are atrocious. The Big 3 are all as bad as each other. I'd much rather watch anyone outside the Big 3 as at least they look like they are enjoying themselves without the me first everyone else can burn ethos.

I agree.. seems to be going on for ever.
While Eng seems to have rotated their players in the bubble, i feel for some of the Indian players. They seem to be in a bubble since the last IPL (whernevr that was), then the heroic Australia tour, then England and 2021 IPL round the corner. Nowadays, there seems to be cricket all thru the year - pretty much like Golf. It is alright if you are a top player and have money to choose which weekends to compete, otherwise, the tours seem to be full on.

Finally... anyone knows what is the role of ODIs any more. If I want to watch a proper cricket, i watch a good test match. If i want to see it being hit all over the park, I was a T20 game. no point having a 50 over match..

sunshine

Visit site
That was an interesting T20 series. Some superb skills and entertainment at times, but the conditions played too much of a role.

- India deserved series winners. Mainly for winning the 4th match against the head. Just not right that conditions should favour one side so much in such a short format, winning the toss should not be so critical!
- How do you address the conditions? The matches have to be played in the evening for the huge TV audience (not just domestic they are targeting the massive ex-pat audience). Maybe they could start an hour later so both teams have to bowl in the dew. Maybe they could sweep the outfield between overs to reduce the dew.
- Superb double bluff from India in the last match. They knew Morgan prefers to chase, so set up a good pitch to allow a big score in the first innings.
- Although many teams like to chase in this format, the final match showed the value of scoreboard pressure. All the England batsmen were forced into errors due to the size of the target.
- Good squad rotation from India to blood a few youngsters and experiment ahead of the World T20. I feel England missed a trick here, and could have tried some different ideas, like Stokes opening for example.
- Slow play was a major gripe for me. The amount of conversations before every ball is getting ridiculous, it's turning into american football where you have a tactical change for every play.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That was an interesting T20 series. Some superb skills and entertainment at times, but the conditions played too much of a role.

- India deserved series winners. Mainly for winning the 4th match against the head. Just not right that conditions should favour one side so much in such a short format, winning the toss should not be so critical!
- How do you address the conditions? The matches have to be played in the evening for the huge TV audience (not just domestic they are targeting the massive ex-pat audience). Maybe they could start an hour later so both teams have to bowl in the dew. Maybe they could sweep the outfield between overs to reduce the dew.
- Superb double bluff from India in the last match. They knew Morgan prefers to chase, so set up a good pitch to allow a big score in the first innings.
- Although many teams like to chase in this format, the final match showed the value of scoreboard pressure. All the England batsmen were forced into errors due to the size of the target.
- Good squad rotation from India to blood a few youngsters and experiment ahead of the World T20. I feel England missed a trick here, and could have tried some different ideas, like Stokes opening for example.
- Slow play was a major gripe for me. The amount of conversations before every ball is getting ridiculous, it's turning into american football where you have a tactical change for every play.

I think DK on commentary said, they could water the pitch 10 mins before the inning .. that way. even the team batting first has a bit of a sticky wicket. Of course that does not solve the dew in outfield situation, but makes an interesting situation.

I think both sides missed a trick. The series should have been used for experimenting. winning only gives bragging rights, but would have been more valuable as test bed. Stokes should have opened. Similarly, India should have got youngster Insan Kishan and Surya at the same time. With 5-6 MI players (Rohit, Surya, Hardik, Ishan, Chhaar) It would have however made it into a Mumbai Indians v England - but who cares.

sunshine

Visit site
I think DK on commentary said, they could water the pitch 10 mins before the inning .. that way. even the team batting first has a bit of a sticky wicket. Of course that does not solve the dew in outfield situation, but makes an interesting situation.

I think both sides missed a trick. The series should have been used for experimenting. winning only gives bragging rights, but would have been more valuable as test bed. Stokes should have opened. Similarly, India should have got youngster Insan Kishan and Surya at the same time. With 5-6 MI players (Rohit, Surya, Hardik, Ishan, Chhaar) It would have however made it into a Mumbai Indians v England - but who cares.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure the pitches changed that much in 20 overs. The outfield changes massively with the dew but is there enough grass on the wicket to make a difference? I think it was more the ball, which skidded on because it was wet. I don't know, all my cricket in India has been played on the beach :D

I thought India mixed it up quite well. Bringing new players into the team without making wholesale changes in any one game, which then ends up looking like a reserve game. Good to get the young guns playing alongside the more experienced guys.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How did Eng lose this one.. my conspiracy says, India loses the next one and then it keeps interest in the third one.
Decent pitch, so cant moan about it

Did not watch the full game, but India seems to use a lot of subs.. atleast 2 catches by different subs.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How did Eng lose this one.. my conspiracy says, India loses the next one and then it keeps interest in the third one.
Decent pitch, so cant moan about it

Did not watch the full game, but India seems to use a lot of subs.. atleast 2 catches by different subs.

Car crash batting having all but won the game with the opening partnership with absolutely no game awareness at all and a continuance to adhere to the "its the way we play" strap line

Injuries to Morgan and Billings didnt help, nor did the decision Buttler got but only have themselves to blame from the position they were in, especially knowing they had a couple carrying injuries

Oh and Bhuvi was utterly superb yet again

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was very good quality with commentary as well. There was 3 or 4 streams floating around on You Tube today. Worth keeping an eye out as the counties seem to be using this more and more now.

barely past the middle of March and clocks not gone forward yet, didnt even register the county warm up stuff had started lol, plenty of grounds you wouldnt fancy fielding for the day

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
barely past the middle of March and clocks not gone forward yet, didnt even register the county warm up stuff had started lol, plenty of grounds you wouldnt fancy fielding for the day

Somerset v Gloucs will be on tomorrow but no commentary. Lancs are streaming their game as well.

sunshine

Visit site

I used to hate fielding early in the season. Those stinging fingers when someone whacked the ball in your direction. Square leg or cover was the worst