The Cricket Thread

MACM85

Visit site
Surrey was missing the following that you could argue would add to that team.

Jason Roy
Ollie Pope
Jamie Smith
Jamie Overton
Ben Foakes
Dan Lawrence
Gus Atkinson
Cam Steel
Jordan Clark

Any of those could add strength to that team depending on conditions

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think England have done a god job of developing the Stokes/McCullum blueprint - they will still have periods of playing that hyper aggressive no fear cricket, but I suspect going forward that on more challenging pitches they will look to be positive where they can rather than as a pre-requisite.

So McCullum taking on the white ball sides...makes sense, as long as he doesn't try to do too much. There would be no harm having a 2iC who could take the smaller series - what McCullum needs to do is bring a more joined up selection between the formats and more direction to selection.

Nothing to back this up but with time ticking on, may be the plan is to develop Stokes to take over the white ball team in the next few years.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Overton and Clark played

Number of the players listed above aren’t playing in their t20 squad

Jamie Smith played early games until he got called up with Pope and Lawrence a few as well

There was a segment before the match about their squad - very lucky position for them to be in with their money

Last edited:

Grizzly

Visit site
Yes, being the only county guaranteed international cricket every season without the risky tendering process does give Slurry a rather generous advantage.

RichA

Visit site
Into another finals day

Staggering that England can’t find space for a single player from prob one of the best T20 teams around
Not exactly staggering. The only two I'd consider are both wicketkeeper batsmen and they're hardly going to get in the team ahead of Salt or a fit Buttler.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hopefully this test match be the one to finally end the failed thoughts that Dan Lawrence can be an opener. For all the good things that Baz and Ben have done, this is a massive faux pas.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not much chance of play for the rest of the day and it will be stop start if they do get on with the light. I dont think England need to go fully on the attack to make up the lost time as they have more than enough to bowl Sri Lanka out twice

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Not much chance of play for the rest of the day and it will be stop start if they do get on with the light. I dont think England need to go fully on the attack to make up the lost time as they have more than enough to bowl Sri Lanka out twice

Got to feel for the fans.

If we can play cricket under floodlights, and that includes Test cricket, it’s scarcely believable that there has been no play since before lunch. Surely if it’s that bad they can play with a pink ball? Or am I missing something?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

If we can play cricket under floodlights, and that includes Test cricket, it’s scarcely believable that there has been no play since before lunch. Surely if it’s that bad they can play with a pink ball? Or am I missing something?
You'd be missing the ball for one thing 😄. Bad light is annoying for spectators but batsmen need to be able to see the ball clearly. At all paces but in particular against the quicks.

Slap and dash is fine under lights, test cricket is harder.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I suspect a lot will be hoping there isn't anymore play and they can claim their refund (lower percentage the more play actually happens).

they should do the same in football when the ball is out of play for more than 30 minutes (for example)

RichA

Visit site
I suspect a lot will be hoping there isn't anymore play and they can claim their refund (lower percentage the more play actually happens).

they should do the same in football when the ball is out of play for more than 30 minutes (for example)
Full refund for 0-15 overs.
Umpires took them off after 15 overs, so maybe they were actually thinking of the fans.
Having said that they're apparently coming back out soon.