The Cricket Thread

Grizzly

Visit site
Glad to see England starting to move on and bring in the next generation

I am too, but I think there is a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater in some of this. I understand the desire to blood Smith - I don't think he will keep wicket long term, but as a batsman he is definitely quality, and Foakes can come again - and the perception that Anderson had to go sometime soon. I'm a bit more surprised at Bairstow suddenly become persona non grata - I would have thought he was still one of if not the top opener in the 50 over game, and someone you'd at least want to consider for the Ashes in 18 months time given he's the only batsman to score hundreds in the last two series in Australia.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am too, but I think there is a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater in some of this. I understand the desire to blood Smith - I don't think he will keep wicket long term, but as a batsman he is definitely quality, and Foakes can come again - and the perception that Anderson had to go sometime soon. I'm a bit more surprised at Bairstow suddenly become persona non grata - I would have thought he was still one of if not the top opener in the 50 over game, and someone you'd at least want to consider for the Ashes in 18 months time given he's the only batsman to score hundreds in the last two series in Australia.
Agree Bairstow seems a very strange one

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Honours Board at Lords

5 wickets in an innings - Gus Atkinson, tick
10 wickets in a match - Gus Atkinson, tick
100 in a match - Gus Atkinson, tick

I think Gus might enjoy taking his family on the tour of Lords 😄 . Easy game this..........

The only other players to do this are:

Gubby Allen (England), Keith Miller (Australia), Stuart Broad (England), Chris Woakes (England) and Ian Botham (England)

All of the above stats lifted from the BBC sport website

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like it up to a point. It has been good for test cricket to make it much faster paced but I am concerned McCullums influence with drip back to the test playing style and there is a fine line between playing a reckless one day type shot in a test match and losing a wicket (and momentum) and still playing circumspect cricket and taking into account the conditions and the bowling

Grizzly

Visit site
I think England have done a god job of developing the Stokes/McCullum blueprint - they will still have periods of playing that hyper aggressive no fear cricket, but I suspect going forward that on more challenging pitches they will look to be positive where they can rather than as a pre-requisite.

So McCullum taking on the white ball sides...makes sense, as long as he doesn't try to do too much. There would be no harm having a 2iC who could take the smaller series - what McCullum needs to do is bring a more joined up selection between the formats and more direction to selection.