The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't blame any school that doesn't. I was relieved when they stopped it at my school, it was dangerous because of the pitches.

The local clubs send coaches into junior schools up here, technically called 1st schools in a 3 tier system but no one will understand that, and take care of initially getting kids into the game but that stops when they go to big school. In all honesty, like golf, it is better to concentrate on the club's, support them and they bring the next generation through. Forget high schools.

The support from the ECB was pretty good at that level in my experience. Others may have had a more negative experience but mine was only positive.

I agree but genuinely how many schools actually play more than a couple of hours cricket a year? I know how few it was 25 years ago and expect it hasnt got better

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree but genuinely how many schools actually play more than a couple of hours cricket a year?
High school? Don't know. My son played club cricket, pretty sure he didn't play any in school.

In 1st schools, infants etc the sessions are tasters really, same as with a number of sports. Lots of sports fighting for space. The clubs need to engage with local schools, get a foot in the door, pull the kids in so that they come to their junior club sessions.

I'm a bit blasé about the necessity of schools to cricket. Growing up in the nw of England and living now in the ne of England it is clubs not schools that drive the sport in my experience. The influence of schools is minimal, hence why I don't think they are an accurate barometer to use.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's overly simplistic to go down that route. The biggest issue for cricket in state schools is pitches. It's like golf, you can't expect the contractor, employed to cut the grass once a week, to actual prepare a wicket to a reasonable standard, same as greens in golf. There are other problems, it's tricky to teach a group, hard to get the technique right, keep all interested, decent kit etc but pitches are the toughest.
What's wrong with 'plastic' pitches? No massive effort involved, simply 'standard' mowing of 'outfield'.
My village team 'resurrected' a ground with one and, with the help of an ex-County player who was a teacher (perhaps even Head Master!) at the local (private and posh) school, brought a couple of local players on sufficiently to challenge at near County level.

It's classic 'grass roots' approach that, given sufficient support by higher bodies, works well. It's when the folk in those 'higher bodies' get lazy that 'the sysyem' breaks down!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's wrong with 'plastic' pitches? No massive effort involved, simply 'standard' mowing of 'outfield'.
My village team 'resurrected' a ground with one and, with the help of an ex-County player who was a teacher (perhaps even Head Master!) at the local (private and posh) school, brought a couple of local players on sufficiently to challenge at near County level.

It's classic 'grass roots' approach that, given sufficient support by higher bodies, works well. It's when the folk in those 'higher bodies' get lazy that 'the sysyem' breaks down!

they need as much if not more work than grass pitches or they become utterly lethal, got to the point where I refused to bat on artificial wickets

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm a bit blasé about the necessity of schools to cricket. Growing up in the nw of England and living now in the ne of England it is clubs not schools that drive the sport in my experience. The influence of schools is minimal, hence why I don't think they are an accurate barometer to use.
I think your son's experience might have been a bit unusual. I believe its from schools to clubs tht's the important link. And, of course, getting the training/incentive within schools in the first place! Otherwise, there's no interest in finding a club after leaving the school!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Alternatively, point the kids towards a club that has proper wickets, proper outfield, proper nets, proper coaches. The club network is sophisticated and very effective.

Schools can't cover every sport effectively, let them contract some out to clubs

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Alternatively, point the kids towards a club that has proper wickets, proper outfield, proper nets, proper coaches. The club network is sophisticated and very effective.

Schools can't cover every sport effectively, let them contract some out to clubs

the bit i never understood is why schools rarely arrange to use club facilities for a couple of hours in the week, 2 hour session in the nets and fielding drills on the outfield with the odd game? the links between the two really do need to be stronger

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think your son's experience might have been a bit unusual. I believe its from schools to clubs tht's the important link. And, of course, getting the training/incentive within schools in the first place! Otherwise, there's no interest in finding a club after leaving the school!
The clubs in my area, Northumberland, have junior sections with kids from 8 and upwards, boys and girls. They are hooked in then and so what happens in schools after that is irrelevant.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
they need as much if not more work than grass pitches or they become utterly lethal, got to the point where I refused to bat on artificial wickets
Well, the 2 (out of 2!) I had experience with must have been well made! They had little or no specific maintenance, but played well enough for me to score a century on each - and keep wicket pretty close in to our ex-County bowler! I can certainly understand how they could 'turn lethal' though!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
the bit i never understood is why schools rarely arrange to use club facilities for a couple of hours in the week, 2 hour session in the nets and fielding drills on the outfield with the odd game? the links between the two really do need to be stronger
It was the other way around for us!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The clubs in my area, Northumberland, have junior sections with kids from 8 and upwards, boys and girls. They are hooked in then and so what happens in schools after that is irrelevant.
That's the reverse of what I experienced in Berkshire - but both can be made to work, if folk have the appropriate 'drive'!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, the 2 (out of 2!) I had experience with must have been well made! They had little or no specific maintenance, but played well enough for me to score a century on each - and keep wicket pretty close in to our ex-County bowler! I can certainly understand how they could 'turn lethal' though!

most are left in the middle of a field, often in the middle of town or public parks etc. funnily enough it becomes the driest, warmest part for those in the park after hours etc, was common to turn up to see fag burns in the matting, broken glasses/bottles and worse on a saturday morning at our 3rd team pitch. Fencing/roping it off was just seen as a further challenge. one time we turned up to a ground and their 3rd team pitch has been used as the base for an impromptu bonfire the night before, the third team came and watched our game. Thats without the general deterioration of badly laid bases that would crack or move, mattings that creased or rutted etc at least with a grass pitch you could tell almost immediately if it was going to be dangerous!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would guess it comes down to distance between the school and club, organising transport, time missed to get there and back etc.

You are dead right though, it is an ideal solution. My sons club had a brilliant junior section, they employed a junior coordinator and part of their job was to link with schools, create a link. I was part of the junior committee and know how much was put on a plate for schools, offers to use our ground included as you suggest, but we were met with a consistent wall of apathy. It was not for lack of trying.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would guess it comes down to distance between the school and club, organising transport, time missed to get there and back etc.

You are dead right though, it is an ideal solution. My sons club had a brilliant junior section, they employed a junior coordinator and part of their job was to link with schools, create a link. I was part of the junior committee and know how much was put on a plate for schools, offers to use our ground included as you suggest, but we were met with a consistent wall of apathy. It was not for lack of trying.

yeah similar to how it was at our school/club when I was younger (and still today as much as I see of it).

i got contacted by the county as a 12 year old I think it was and they asked who was the cricket master at our school, I asked the school who shrugged and said they didnt have one, they could contact the head of PE if they wanted, the county didnt comprehend a school not having a cricket master. said a lot about both. sadly doesnt seem to have changed greatly 35 years later

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
most are left in the middle of a field, often in the middle of town or public parks etc. funnily enough it becomes the driest, warmest part for those in the park after hours etc, was common to turn up to see fag burns in the matting, broken glasses/bottles and worse on a saturday morning at our 3rd team pitch. Fencing/roping it off was just seen as a further challenge. one time we turned up to a ground and their 3rd team pitch has been used as the base for an impromptu bonfire the night before, the third team came and watched our game. Thats without the general deterioration of badly laid bases that would crack or move, mattings that creased or rutted etc at least with a grass pitch you could tell almost immediately if it was going to be dangerous!!!
That's a real shame - and a huge waste of money too!
There DOES need to be commitment from whichever authority provides them to 'optimise' their use - or at least not let the money spent be wasted!

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I see Quinton De Kock has retired from Test Cricket at 29, wants to spend more time with his family as his wife is about to have their first child - will keep playing white ball Cricket.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see Quinton De Kock has retired from Test Cricket at 29, wants to spend more time with his family as his wife is about to have their first child - will keep playing white ball Cricket.

will be solely an IPL cricketer and T20 gun for hire inside 12 mths, not unpredictable after what happened earlier in the year