The Cricket Thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Silverwood was never a great choice - his coaching resume may as well have read "signed Simon Harmer on a Kolpak and prepared pitches to suit", which is an effective way of winning titles but no sign of the ability to improve elite players and all the other things that are required of a top international coach. I'd like to see them steer well away from the jobs for the boys network, which probably means they will need to look abroad again - I'd love to see them try someone like Kumar Sangakkara who has unimpeachable credentials as a player and a great cricket brain (or if we must have an English coach, give it to Wor Colly who at least has credibility). I'd also like to see them make more use of the knowledge base of players who have succeeded in various conditions - Michael Vaughan and Kevin Pietersen might not be "down with the cool kids" in the ECB but they succeeded more in Australia than any other English batsmen this century, so ask then how they went about it.
Vaughan, where have you been for the last 2 months?, and Pietersen ?. Quick, I need a coughing and spluttering emoji ?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vaughan and Piertersen ?. Quick, I need a coughing and spluttering emoji ?.

I often think that if Vaughan hadn't gone down the commentary route and invented himself as an opiniated know-it-all , he'd have been one of the best coaches around. His leadership when he was captain was outstanding. He got the very best out of players.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I often think that if Vaughan hadn't gone down the commentary route and invented himself as an opiniated know-it-all , he'd have been one of the best coaches around. His leadership when he was captain was outstanding. He got the very best out of players.

Sounds like a real win win situation that was missed out on there!!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He was a very fine England captain, no question. Since then though..............

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A cracking show on Sky Cricket… the Duncan Fletcher era .. talks about his ability to find and nurture talent as a Test coach.
He has cracking record as a Test coach. His regret was that he could not do it for the ODIs. The pendulum then swung the other way after him

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Proper test match Ind v SA. Kholi failed in both innings. SA set 305 to win in day and a session. With rain predicted tomorrow, anyones game. SA just brought out the heavy rollers to take a sting out of the Indian quicks. If the rain holds back for a session or so then all results are possible after 4 days play…

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Proper test match Ind v SA. Kholi failed in both innings. SA set 305 to win in day and a session. With rain predicted tomorrow, anyones game. SA just brought out the heavy rollers to take a sting out of the Indian quicks. If the rain holds back for a session or so then all results are possible after 4 days play…

only 1 result possible if no rain imho

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just watched alright Sydney 6’s v Brisbane Heat. Exceptional game and recommend watching a re run later today. You need to wait until the end. Fundy will appreciate this as an odds man which changed from 70/30, 50/50, 20/80 and then… Sound a bit like Mama Mia!

Brilliant wasn't it. Swung every which way, great game.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think how much the ECB invests in rejuvenating red ball cricket in this country depends entirely upon how much revenue Test cricket generates.

If there is any reliance at all on Test match revenues, then the 4-day game needs renewed focus. If, on the other hand, the money is not required then our Test future is doomed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think how much the ECB invests in rejuvenating red ball cricket in this country depends entirely upon how much revenue Test cricket generates.

If there is any reliance at all on Test match revenues, then the 4-day game needs renewed focus. If, on the other hand, the money is not required then our Test future is doomed.
In the end players will follow the money. Far more money in whack and bash than test cricket sadly. It's affecting all nations, it's just our turn right now to be getting a whupping, I may be watching too much Justified at the moment ?.

I said it recently and nothing has changed, there is no standout team in world cricket right now. Some great individuals but no great team. Just different degrees of average. As a traditionalist I find it very sad.

Billysboots

Visit site
I said it recently and nothing has changed, there is no standout team in world cricket right now. Some great individuals but no great team. Just different degrees of average. As a traditionalist I find it very sad.

Agreed. And that’s what I find so utterly depressing about this Ashes series - we are being absolutely battered by a side which itself is by no means great. It’s just that we are as poor as I have ever seen an English side.

I’m a traditionalist as well. I spent many happy summer days with my mates at my local county ground watching county championship games as a lad. Packed lunch in my rucksack, we used to make sure we had bat and ball between us, and we always had a knock up during breaks in play. If it rained I had a bin liner handy to sit in.

It got to the point where, as junior members, a huge number of us not only got to know the other members, but were also on first name terms with many of the players, including international cricketers. It was a totally inclusive environment and was great fun to be around.

How times have changed.

Grizzly

Visit site
Vaughan, where have you been for the last 2 months?, and Pietersen ?. Quick, I need a coughing and spluttering emoji ?

Oh, I appreciate that they are highly unpopular. My point is though, they have developed the necessary game to succeed against Australia in Australia. Someone should think of maybe asking them to pass that knowledge on!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agreed. And that’s what I find so utterly depressing about this Ashes series - we are being absolutely battered by a side which itself is by no means great. It’s just that we are as poor as I have ever seen an English side.

I’m a traditionalist as well. I spent many happy summer days with my mates at my local county ground watching county championship games as a lad. Packed lunch in my rucksack, we used to make sure we had bat and ball between us, and we always had a knock up during breaks in play. If it rained I had a bin liner handy to sit in.

It got to the point where, as junior members, a huge number of us not only got to know the other members, but were also on first name terms with many of the players, including international cricketers. It was a totally inclusive environment and was great fun to be around.

How times have changed.

I remember days like that, either travelling to the Oval on the northern line from Morden or getting a train from Wimbledon to Guildford to watch Surrey play there. As a kid I use to the annual Playfair cricket annual which had profiles of all the players and queue up before and after play to get the sides to sign on their names in the book

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh, I appreciate that they are highly unpopular. My point is though, they have developed the necessary game to succeed against Australia in Australia. Someone should think of maybe asking them to pass that knowledge on!
Too busy going around the world earning media wonga. They'd have to take a pay cut ?

Billysboots

Visit site
I remember days like that, either travelling to the Oval on the northern line from Morden or getting a train from Wimbledon to Guildford to watch Surrey play there. As a kid I use to the annual Playfair cricket annual which had profiles of all the players and queue up before and after play to get the sides to sign on their names in the book

We used to love autograph hunting. I remember Alan Knott used to emerge in a disguise whenever Kent were in town, but would always sign when we rumbled him.

The only player I can ever recall who point blank refused to sign a single autograph was Ian Botham - totally aloof, and I’ve always disliked him as a result, although he was fantastic to watch. I was lucky enough to be at Trent Bridge when he made his Test debut in 1977 against Australia - it was immediately obvious we had a talent in the ranks.

Other players were happy to stop and chat with the kids, signing autographs. Even the great West Indies sides of the 70’s were incredibly approachable. I took great pride, as a thirteen year old, in being able to look Joel Garner in the eye without having to stand on a chair.

Happy, happy days.