The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you think they aren't going to blanket increase RFL to make up for the shortfall in tax from fuel.....

They will be it will be small fry compared and nobody is going to bulk at the road tax cost .. it will be milage cost that will make people want to cut down

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You could potentially use GPS to charge by the mile, either using the car system, or by smart phone app. May be add an after market plug in device, illegal to remove, a black box type device.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Many years ago we had a guy in the running club who worked for the DFT. He had one of those small Sony Vaio laptops he liked to show off (if someone can time it based on that), and he sat in the corner working on a presentation for road charging, I think it was for motorways based on number plate recognition.
Obviously, that has never been rolled out and he works for someone else for about 6 to 8 years now, but the government was surely thinking about charging for road use.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

From the article;

"To do that we have to understand the customer, how they use their bikes and what they’d want from their bikes. For electric bikes to grow, it has to be a natural choice for someone because the bike is desirable in its own right." And that will be the crux of the problem they face. There's an old adage that 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul and I'm not sure how much soul an electric motorcycle will have compared with a petrol engined version.

D-S

Visit site
From the article;

"To do that we have to understand the customer, how they use their bikes and what they’d want from their bikes. For electric bikes to grow, it has to be a natural choice for someone because the bike is desirable in its own right." And that will be the crux of the problem they face. There's an old adage that 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul and I'm not sure how much soul an electric motorcycle will have compared with a petrol engined version.
I‘m sure if there had been su forums at the time people would have been saying exactly the same thing in a horse versus motorised bicycle thread.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
When electricity demand goes up, do we all genuinely believe, in our capitalist society, that the price will also go up?

It might be comparatively much cheaper now, but as demand rises, prices will inevitably go up.

If its not the government that fleeces us, it will be the leccy companies.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I‘m sure if there had been su forums at the time people would have been saying exactly the same thing in a horse versus motorised bicycle thread.

I am sure EV bikes will sell to commuters, in the same way EV cars will.

I don't think anyone will buy an EV for fun. Yes, the initial excelleration is fun for a few days, but after that, they are totally characterless. One of the reasons Ferrari have said they do not want to build a pure EV.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When electricity demand goes up, do we all genuinely believe, in our capitalist society, that the price will also go up?

It might be comparatively much cheaper now, but as demand rises, prices will inevitably go up.

If its not the government that fleeces us, it will be the leccy companies.
The tax on petrol and diesel raises approx £28 billion a year. Almost 80p of every litre of fuel is fuel duty or VAT. The Treasury isn't going to give that up without a fight.

I agree the leccy companies will exploit the situation, but the Treasury will need to replace that £28 billion somehow.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The tax on petrol and diesel raises approx £28 billion a year. Almost 80p of every litre of fuel is fuel duty or VAT. The Treasury isn't going to give that up without a fight.

I agree the leccy companies will exploit the situation, but the Treasury will need to replace that £28 billion somehow.

Totally agreed so I see it being a double whammy of increased fuel (electric) costs coupled with vehicle tax being either increased across the board or tiered by either vehicle value (or possibly battery capacity (akin to the old engine size bands) or charge time).

Either way, I seriously doubt that EV ownership will be the cheap(ish) utopia that it is now whilst its a mixed market with consumer choice still attached.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agreed so I see it being a double whammy of increased fuel (electric) costs coupled with vehicle tax being either increased across the board or tiered by either vehicle value (or possibly battery capacity (akin to the old engine size bands) or charge time).

Either way, I seriously doubt that EV ownership will be the cheap(ish) utopia that it is now whilst its a mixed market with consumer choice still attached.

The cheap utopia is just to get people into them

D-S

Visit site
In due course there will be areas on the edge of towns where driverless cars are stored waiting to be summoned by people in need of transport. No need to own a lot of plastic/metal that is not in use for the vast majority of the time when there is always one a tap away on your device. No need for garages, on street parking etc. etc.
10 years away maybe 15? Perhaps the era of EV ownership maybe quite a short one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In due course there will be areas on the edge of towns where driverless cars are stored waiting to be summoned by people in need of transport. No need to own a lot of plastic/metal that is not in use for the vast majority of the time when there is always one a tap away on your device. No need for garages, on street parking etc. etc.
10 years away maybe 15? Perhaps the era of EV ownership maybe quite a short one.
These areas are going have to be pretty large..
Not everyone is going to need a car at the same time all day but at peak times there's a lot of vehicles on the roads
And everyone is going to need to have access to one...thats an awful lot of driverless cars and some mahoosive car parks.

D-S

Visit site
These areas are going have to be pretty large..
Not everyone is going to need a car at the same time all day but at peak times there's a lot of vehicles on the roads
And everyone is going to need to have access to one...thats an awful lot of driverless cars and some mahoosive car parks.
Less cars than we have today as they can be in use for far more hours ina day than the relatively small % of the time that all our individual cars are actually used - they can be in use 24/7 except for charging time which by then should be short. There is never a time now when every car is on the road at the same time. Also car parks would contain far more cars as the cars can be parked very, very close together as no one needs to get in or out and you don’t need to access every single one at any one time as you do today.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Less cars than we have today as they can be in use for far more hours ina day than the relatively small % of the time that all our individual cars are actually used - they can be in use 24/7 except for charging time which by then should be short. There is never a time now when every car is on the road at the same time. Also car parks would contain far more cars as the cars can be parked very, very close together as no one needs to get in or out and you don’t need to access every single one at any one time as you do today.
Granted, fewer than we have now but you're still going to need a lot of parking with charging points.
The beauty of what we have now is you can decide to go somewhere at the drop of a hat.
If you have to wait for a "taxi" every time it could get dull quite quickly.
And I think we've got a lot more than 10 or 15 years before we need to worry about it.

D-S

Visit site
Granted, fewer than we have now but you're still going to need a lot of parking with charging points.
The beauty of what we have now is you can decide to go somewhere at the drop of a hat.
If you have to wait for a "taxi" every time it could get dull quite quickly.
And I think we've got a lot more than 10 or 15 years before we need to worry about it.
You could well be right but they are out on the roads in some countries already and 15 years is a long time in Tech.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driverless cars are still a long way off. The safety requirements are enormous and the mileage to prove you have a safe car is intergalactic... we are are talking hundreds of thousands. Waymo has started so have google but they have had a few hiccups and that means they have to do more miles..
So you will see a ban on ICE taxis and then fleets of electric cars being owned that have multiple drivers. It will be like Uber but a car is provided.
I don’t know how safe people will be but I think there should be some regulations attached.
The plans are over night parking will be used for charging these fleets etc ... so any establishment with large parking facilities would be equipped and used.
In the end low cost electric will not exist, unless you generate it yourself

D

Deleted Member 1156

https://insideevs.com/news/496549/volkswagen-group-partner-bp-ultrafast-charging/

BP now. Good team up making it seemless

Shell are ramping up there's

My father in law has gone back to maintaining petrol pumps and now his job is to install charge points aswell

There going to be at every branded petrol station at this rate
That's great but still a pain in the arris for people that don't have off road parking. Would you want to drive to a petrol station and hang around for an hour or so while you recharge?