The all things EV chat thread

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My mates Corsa had a digital oil check, his Mrs Sorrento has one.
Even the MiLs Kuga has one. The FiLs BMW had one installed when he started driving it...

Most new models will do away with it. Just like they have done with carbs that you could see and touch, points and distributors, airflow dynamos.
All of these things were moved to EMU control over time.

Dipsticks were seldom actually accurate anyway (pressure low, on a slight slope, too cold/hot).

It is just manufacturers building in planned obsolescence so you have to buy a new one. There is no reason not to have one.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Quick question, would you rather drive a Toureg, or live in a nicer house, and retire 10 years earlier? I am not high and mighty, but leasing cars to me is a total and utter waste of money, and yes, the tech moves on, but you are paying for it, and sadly, so is every one else, with built in obsolescence to make every one need new cars. Old ones should be repairable.
Without sounding like an ass, i live in a decent 4 bedroom house and 55 is still the target for retirement, leasing is a great option for the right deal ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is just manufacturers building in planned obsolescence so you have to buy a new one. There is no reason not to have one.

On the contrary, I can think of a few. Inaccuracy being prime.
There is no evidence that OPS are built to fail. Thats tinfoil hat stuff.

You might as well bin your computer controlled turbos and go back to good old chain pulley suoerchargers. Manufacturers only computerised the sensor array so it would fail and you need a new one... ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without sounding like an ass, i live in a decent 4 bedroom house and 55 is still the target for retirement, leasing is a great option for the right deal ?

I will sound like an arse .. lol I live In a decent 4 bed in a London borough and if I retire past 60 I'll be over the lifetime allowance ?

So not worth putting more and more away!

That's with avcs and overpaying mortgage plus saving a fair wack

Think lease is affordable

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
My mates Corsa had a digital oil check, his Mrs Sorrento has one.
Even the MiLs Kuga has one. The FiLs BMW had one installed when he started driving it...

Most new models will do away with it. Just like they have done with carbs that you could see and touch, points and distributors, airflow dynamos.
All of these things were moved to EMU control over time.

Dipsticks were seldom actually accurate anyway (pressure low, on a slight slope, too cold/hot).

What happens if your sensor or harness fails? How do I see the condition of the oil without draining the sump?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you only drive new cars, say, under 3 years old, then you have no idea how electronic systems fail. As an example, my CLS, when started, sometimes the Info screen is on, some times not. Sometimes it turns traffic info on, sometimes it is off, where I left it. Nothing major, granted, but little glitches.
A golf pal of mine drives range rovers. New ones mainly. There is always a warning light on on the dash. Always. Same for another friend with a Jag F type. Dealers fix it, and another one comes on.
10 years old, these will be scrap.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you only drive new cars, say, under 3 years old, then you have no idea how electronic systems fail. As an example, my CLS, when started, sometimes the Info screen is on, some times not. Sometimes it turns traffic info on, sometimes it is off, where I left it. Nothing major, granted, but little glitches.
A golf pal of mine drives range rovers. New ones mainly. There is always a warning light on on the dash. Always. Same for another friend with a Jag F type. Dealers fix it, and another one comes on.

I'm an ex mechanic so I think I have an idea.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sorry but that's bull. There is no actual evidence it's only a gut feeling. You may be correct but without evidence your just hypothesising

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I will sound like an arse .. lol I live In a decent 4 bed in a London borough and if I retire past 60 I'll be over the lifetime allowance ?

So not worth putting more and more away!

That's with avcs and overpaying mortgage plus saving a fair wack

Think lease is affordable

It works for you, sure, but sorry, for a whopping amount of people their life style is credit cards, leasing, and debt. Just look at the average debt in this country, and tell me that's a good thing.
You are lucky, you have a good job with a good pension. Many don't, in fact, most don't.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
What happens if your sensor or harness fails? How do I see the condition of the oil without draining the sump?

Depends on why you would need to see the condition. A wiring/sensor fault would throw an error. So it's likely you'd get that checked before you start worrying about the state of the oil.

Of course, you can always do the mayonnaise test with the filler cap if you suspect something sinister.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It works for you, sure, but sorry, for a whopping amount of people their life style is credit cards, leasing, and debt. Just look at the average debt in this country, and tell me that's a good thing.
You are lucky, you have a good job with a good pension. Many don't, in fact, most don't.

The majority of the country is in debt, and the younger generation debt is far greater and always will be with the price of houses

I'd wager my mortgage would make many cry for the amount owed just because of what you need to borrow now compared to then

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have you had a recent over-air software update?
I had the same problem but was fixed after a MecedesMe firmware update.

No idea. It hasn't been near a dealership in ages. Last time I looked at Mercedesme, it was a shocker, and no one on the web had much to say about it that was good.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea. It hasn't been near a dealership in ages. Last time I looked at Mercedesme, it was a shocker, and no one on the web had much to say about it that was good.

Yeah, I have to admit it's not as good as the BMW Connected service. It seems to be the source of many of the connected drive issues rather than any of the ECM modules. It's all the firmware in the actual console. I will speak to my old garage mate tomorrow, he's with Merc commercial vehicles now, see if he knows any tricks.