The all things EV chat thread

D-S

Visit site
So looking forward to the thread that will be coming on here is a few years time:-

Would you buy a driverless car?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you need diagnostic equipment yourself, but how hard is it to pull a dipstick?
You should be popping the bonnet to check washer fluid every week anyway;)

Your BMW might have onboard diagnostics, but none of my vehicles have ever had that.....oil is checked by dipstick and the metal thing that goes in the engines tube;)

No you don't, most OBCs display the oil and other parameters in the OBC visual display. For example, in mine, you go in to Vehicle, Settings, Active Car and it tells you what the oil, brake and washer fluid levels are. I never need the bonnet on mine open. Unless I'm just admiring the shiny powerplant that is.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
But you need diagnostic equipment yourself, but how hard is it to pull a dipstick?
You should be popping the bonnet to check washer fluid every week anyway;)

Your BMW might have onboard diagnostics, but none of my vehicles have ever had that.....oil is checked by dipstick and the metal thing that goes in the engines tube;)

Get with the times man, most cars are electronic technology nowadays ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Get with the times man, most cars are electronic technology nowadays ?

My CLS has a dip stick. It makes me happy. I can check stuff.

My Z4 doesn't. It annoys me. Often the system says it needs oil, when it doesn't. There is a 2nd way of checking, electronically, but which one do you trust? When new, yes, everything works, but 15 years in? You are deluded if you think 15 year electronics are reliable.

So, scrap all cars at what, 6 years old? Green as. The best thing, the greenest, most environmentally friendly thing they can do? Make stuff last longer.

Also, buying a 10 year old car. It's nice to pull the dip stick, it tells you so many things. Is the oil old, does it smell bad, does it taste bad (yes, you can taste oil), is there mayo in it (blown head gasket), is it low? So many things. People do buy older cars. It's not all about new leased stuff that in reality, you really can't afford.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
My CLS has a dip stick. It makes me happy. I can check stuff.

My Z4 doesn't. It annoys me. Often the system says it needs oil, when it doesn't. There is a 2nd way of checking, electronically, but which one do you trust? When new, yes, everything works, but 15 years in? You are deluded if you think 15 year electronics are reliable.

So, scrap all cars at what, 6 years old? Green as. The best thing, the greenest, most environmentally friendly thing they can do? Make stuff last longer.

Also, buying a 10 year old car. It's nice to pull the dip stick, it tells you so many things. Is the oil old, does it smell bad, does it taste bad (yes, you can taste oil), is there mayo in it (blown head gasket), is it low? So many things. People do buy older cars. It's not all about new leased stuff that in reality, you really can't afford.

Technology has moved on, leased stuff you really can’t afford, get a grip, trying to be high and mighty, look into it before you spout this crap, I had a Touerag R line for 3 years for 16k, absolute bargain.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Technology has moved on, leased stuff you really can’t afford, get a grip, trying to be high and mighty, look into it before you spout this crap, I had a Touerag R line for 3 years for 16k, absolute bargain.

Quick question, would you rather drive a Toureg, or live in a nicer house, and retire 10 years earlier? I am not high and mighty, but leasing cars to me is a total and utter waste of money, and yes, the tech moves on, but you are paying for it, and sadly, so is every one else, with built in obsolescence to make every one need new cars. Old ones should be repairable.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick question, would you rather drive a Toureg, or live in a nicer house, and retire 10 years earlier? I am not high and mighty, but leasing cars to me is a total and utter waste of money, and yes, the tech moves on, but you are paying for it, and sadly, so is every one else, with built in obsolescence to make every one need new cars. Old ones should be repairable.

But that's by the by.. I could live in a 5 bedroom house instead of a 4 if I wanted to just got to move up the A1 and drive further to work.. but I like my area even with the same commute time as someone who lives in biggleswade at work and our houses worth the same but his bigger ..

So really could just save and move to same size house further out? If every goal in life is money

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am yet to lose on a car lease, even just on depreciation.

When combined with my capital earning interest elsewhere it's a no brainer if you can get the right terms.

My boss leased Honda's for years , always 2 year deal ... Over the course of 10 years he had paid similar to buying the car outright (bit less) but had driven 5 cars in that time without the added bills that age bring

He only ever needed one service per car as handed back before second and never had to mot a car

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am yet to lose on a car lease, even just on depreciation.

When combined with my capital earning interest elsewhere it's a no brainer if you can get the right terms.

May be. I drive past so many houses with flash motors outside, on the never never, a constant drip of cash. Each to their own, but I am happy driving an older car, keeping it for a long time, and putting money into ISAs, pensions, property, to pay for later in life. A flash 80k car outside a 2 bed terrace is just a bit daft, to me. Some one else might see their motor as more important.

But back to the dip stick post. Why not include a dip stick. It's cheap. It does a job. And when the lectures pack up, and they will, it might keep a car off the scrap heap. Is that not a good thing?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My boss leased Honda's for years , always 2 year deal ... Over the course of 10 years he had paid similar to buying the car outright (bit less) but had driven 5 cars in that time without the added bills that age bring

He only ever needed one service per car as handed back before second and never had to mot a car

Fine, what ever makes him happy. Similarly, Mrs Mogs has had a car allowance of 600 odd a month. She has had the same car for 18 years. That is a lot of cash in the bank. It pays for the odd bill, and a few MOTs.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May be. I drive past so many houses with flash motors outside, on the never never, a constant drip of cash. Each to their own, but I am happy driving an older car, keeping it for a long time, and putting money into ISAs, pensions, property, to pay for later in life. A flash 80k car outside a 2 bed terrace is just a bit daft, to me. Some one else might see their motor as more important.

But back to the dip stick post. Why not include a dip stick. It's cheap. It does a job. And when the lectures pack up, and they will, it might keep a car off the scrap heap. Is that not a good thing?

How do you know it's not their second homes? Or their not saving on the side..

Some people just happy with what they got

Mother in law has a 2 bed semi .. they could afford much bigger but they happy with what they got .. spend their cash elsewhere

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fine, what ever makes him happy. Similarly, Mrs Mogs has had a car allowance of 600 odd a month. She has had the same car for 18 years. That is a lot of cash in the bank. It pays for the odd bill, and a few MOTs.

Then you have no excuse not buying a telsa model s outright lol don't be tight you will still have change

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No you don't, most OBCs display the oil and other parameters in the OBC visual display. For example, in mine, you go in to Vehicle, Settings, Active Car and it tells you what the oil, brake and washer fluid levels are. I never need the bonnet on mine open. Unless I'm just admiring the shiny powerplant that is.
Sorry, but your BMW isn't the same as other cars.
My 3 yr old Mazda has a dipstick
My wifes 2 yr old Yaris hybrid has a dipstick.
My 3 yr old VW Transporter van ...has a disptick .....and one under the bonnet too:)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How do you know it's not their second homes? Or their not saving on the side..

Some people just happy with what they got

Mother in law has a 2 bed semi .. they could afford much bigger but they happy with what they got .. spend their cash elsewhere

Nothing appreciates like property.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but your BMW isn't the same as other cars.
My 3 yr old Mazda has a dipstick
My wifes 2 yr old Yaris hybrid has a dipstick.
My 3 yr old VW Transporter van ...has a disptick .....and one under the bonnet too:)

My mates Corsa had a digital oil check, his Mrs Sorrento has one.
Even the MiLs Kuga has one. The FiLs BMW had one installed when he started driving it...

Most new models will do away with it. Just like they have done with carbs that you could see and touch, points and distributors, airflow dynamos.
All of these things were moved to EMU control over time.

Dipsticks were seldom actually accurate anyway (pressure low, on a slight slope, too cold/hot).