The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the same could be applied to the EV evangelists really. There is nothing new there either.

Not overly because there is nothing wrong with petrol cars... Just certain people can't see that electric cars aren't some fad that's going away .it's the petrol that's got a sell by date ..

But that's Phil all over. Come in.. ruin thread. Leave

D-S

Visit site
If you’ve got off street parking and you’re a 2 car household without both cars doing long trips at the same time, then it is a serious consideration. This describes my wife and I, so when we look to change one of our cars in a year or so it is a serious option; I hope the battery life has taken a few steps forward by then but the charging infrastructure is not of great relevance, though it would be if we were going to go EV with both cars. If we do get an EV I would like it to be suitably different (not just a normal car with someth different under the bonnet) - hence the Tesla appeals although some of the stories rebuild quality are off putting.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I also really don't understand how plugging a car In at home is a massive inconvenience ?

Everyone comes home, locks car , goes in house

If I need charge now I'll come home, open fuel cap, get the tethered lead (so it's not even find the lead, which is 7 meters walk maybe unless I'm parked next to it as we swapped the cars) plug in.. lock car.. go inside

It will do its thing

If I want to charge cheap

I'll do the same but when I plug in I'll press a button next to the fueling socket that goes blue to say come on at 01:30

So that's it

Wake up.. full tank

It's litterally less work for me than stopping on home , in and out my car and paying then driving home

I get the time .. but the plugging itself it's like plugging in your phone when you go to bed

Mines even easier now I got an app on my phone I can turn the charger on and off from the sofa if I decide ..

Are you getting your “Phil’s” mixed up? ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

@pauljames87 Are you sure you've got your facts right about insurance? If you lease a car I'm pretty sure you need fully comp insurance and I can't see a 21yo in London getting that for £100 a month. A couple of grand a year for 3rd party is probably closer to the mark.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@pauljames87 Are you sure you've got your facts right about insurance? If you lease a car I'm pretty sure you need fully comp insurance and I can't see a 21yo in London getting that for £100 a month. A couple of grand a year for 3rd party is probably closer to the mark.

Yes I am. I pointed to this a few times

It's a new scheme

https://on.to/?cat=demand_generic_e...CYCgeitNS46DHRaxBI1gCAA_OlJM90HEaApR9EALw_wcB

Just noticed the insurance is 25 and over however my point stands £400 pm all In
No contract
They will be a good deal for many

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My Z4 is fun. Its actually more than fun. It cost 5500 4 years ago, at 9 years old, and is now worth half that. For what it cost, and how long I will keep it, it doesn't owe me anything. I love this car. I will own it for as long as it is economically viable. I run cars until they die. It does 12000 miles a year.

Mrs Mogs has had her Z3M coupe since 2002. In terms of pollution, ok, it's a petrol 3200cc. In terms of footprint, it's a 23 year old car. Running a car longer is about the greenest thing you can do. It currently does about 3000 miles a year.

My CLS. New, 100k, to me, 3 years old, 40k. The build quality is superb. Again, I will run this car til it dies. Potentially another 10 years minimum, probably longer. I don't change cars often. This will be cherished, and loved. It does 12000 miles a year, roughly.

I don't see that binning one of these, and spending 40k is really going to be saving the planet any time soon. The Z3 doesn't go anywhere, the Z4 has finished depreciating, and anything newer is squandering resources, and the CLS spreads its emissions in the country, not populated areas. It has also in cash terms depreciated 5k in 3 years. That is not bad.

Sorry Murph, I was only pointing out to Phil that if you were to replace your BMW Z4 with a new one, you could get a new Tesla model 3 more the same price. And you could get your clubs and trolley in the boot and the misses and the all the shopping.

D

Deleted member 16999

Phil you are getting repetitive and a bit boring, you’ve said your piece and we get your opinion.

No EV’s are not for everyone at the moment, that’s a given, yes the price needs to drop, that’s a given. Charging infrastructure needs to improve, that’s a given

They are cheap to run, great to drive, and the above issues will improve over time.

So why not leave this thread to those who want to discuss the subject rather than just dissing everything
? Totally agree. We really do need to get out and play some golf to remove people’s anger and desire to leap onto people’s comments in such a rude way.;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps it’s jus me, but I struggle to understand the financial sensibility in committing to an endless charge of £4800 per year just to have a new car.

Different way of working things. A lot of people lease. A hell of a lot of people

My lease car will cost me £13200 over 4 years then hand back and start again..

People also struggle to remember that yes some people will go and buy a second hand car for 10k but many will lease because they can't afford to lay down that 3k up front or whatever for a car ..but they can budget for £150 a month for a new car which they need now and not to save up for

Plus if they save for a 3k car less will go wrong in theory with the £150 a month lease

Many ways to skin a cat.

I always pay for my insurance up front but 90% of the people I know who aren't my family pay monthly even tho costs more