The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The batteries don't last forever and they aren't cheap to replace.
In my view EVs are fine for short journeys around town but unless you have a serious budget then ICE is better for everything else. Especially if you want a bit of fun.

They are clever with battery management tho , so for example my car is 50kw battery but 46 or 47 usable

As the battery ages it manages it so the 3-4 not being used replace the ones that have worn

That model 3 has 84 kw with 68 available that's a lot of spare

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To put into context

45 litre tank using £1.25 as the price for fuel so 10 gallons at 50mpg would be £56 (500 miles range)

Even using the charging during the peak (14p per kw) battery would be £7 to full for 200 miles

So 1.5 charges £17.50

For the same cost can travel 1600 miles

Now will come the usual replies but just those are the figures

Side note the cheap rate is £2.55 a charge so £6.40 im saying to go 500 miles

For the £56 you can go 4250 miles

Rather than £476

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it's true, EVs are expensive to buy, the charging infrastructure isn't there yet and many car owners cant charge at home, but things are changing and faster than most think.
I saw a report once that most peoples knowledge about EVs is about 5 years out of date, which in the EV world is a lifetime.

The motor car replaced the horse but we still have horses, they are now used for leisure and fun.

The petrol car will go the same way, EV for working and your petrol/diesel for fun at the weekend.
You will still be able to buy a new petrol car in 2029, keep it for 20 years, happy days

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes it's true, EVs are expensive to buy, the charging infrastructure isn't there yet and many car owners cant charge at home, but things are changing and faster than most think.
I saw a report once that most peoples knowledge about EVs is about 5 years out of date, which in the EV world is a lifetime.

The motor car replaced the horse but we still have horses, they are now used for leisure and fun.

The petrol car will go the same way, EV for working and your petrol/diesel for fun at the weekend.
You will still be able to buy a new petrol car in 2029, keep it for 20 years, happy days

How many people on a side to this have a commuter car and a "weekend car" know so many people like that! Mainly who get company cars then buy a "fun car"

So what's to stop the commuter car being EV and a sports car at weeekends? Ev will be the company car no doubt soon

We are basically that . Ev weekdays .. Alhambra weekends when all 5 us got to shove our stuff in

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow didn't realise the cost was down so low already

The free super charging is amazing they don't do that now but do for lifetime of that car ..

Says 68kw usable batter which is amazing . With the 150kw super chargers (faster ones available) you could recharge that in what 40 mins? If you were empty
£24k for a car that’s done nearly 100k miles around

Only take 40 hours to fully charge

But great news - just the 14 hours on a quick charge

That certainly beat the 5mins it takes to fill up the petrol car

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I kinda flip that on it's head. My fun car is my E85 Z4. It is also my commuter car. I would not want to drive a car I care overly about on my daily commute. My CLS is used at weekends, and for trips to the flat, and holidays.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£24k for a car that’s done nearly 100k miles around

Only take 40 hours to fully charge

But great news - just the 14 hours on a quick charge

That certainly beat the 5mins it takes to fill up the petrol car

You don't fully read anything do you Phil? Just fly in feet first

That's "fast" at home

Super charge network you can charge that in 40 mins

Nobody slow charges

And once again 100 miles on an electric car isn't even run in

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I haven't owned a Tesla, but I have owned an American car. I have also been to the Tesla dealership in Brent Cross, and had a sit and play in a model S, and a model X. They suffer from being American, and even more so for needing to be light.

The interiors are flimsy, and do not feel very well put together. 100k might be fine for the motors, but from what I have seen, I don't think the interiors will age well. Most American cars disintegrate way before 100k. Americans just don't pay much for cars, they are made to a budget (low), and they don't keep their cars very long.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't owned a Tesla, but I have owned an American car. I have also been to the Tesla dealership in Brent Cross, and had a sit and play in a model S, and a model X. They suffer from being American, and even more so for needing to be light.

The interiors are flimsy, and do not feel very well put together. 100k might be fine for the motors, but from what I have seen, I don't think the interiors will age well. Most American cars disintegrate way before 100k. Americans just don't pay much for cars, they are made to a budget (low), and they don't keep their cars very long.

That's a much better point than 100k on the car itself

I think the model 3 will be better for it because for 24k you will get a newer one as they are only 40k brand new compared to the model s

D

Deleted member 15344

You don't fully read anything do you Phil? Just fly in feet first

That's "fast" at home

Super charge network you can charge that in 40 mins

Nobody slow charges

And once again 100 miles on an electric car isn't even run in

40 mins - so about 8 times as long as filling my current car up and then it’s still not fully charged , it also doesn’t help that there are no points like that in the town I live in , nearest one is 15 miles away ad opposed to my nearest garage 1.2 miles away. Also for the same £24k I can get myself a brand new car with 1 mile on the clock.

I’m also not in Tesla which appears to be the new BMW driver. It comes with an immediate stigma

That's a much better point than 100k on the car itself

I think the model 3 will be better for it because for 24k you will get a newer one as they are only 40k brand new compared to the model s
Just the £40k - wow cheap as chips.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
100k might be fine for the motors, but from what I have seen, I don't think the interiors will age well. Most American cars disintegrate way before 100k.

No need to worry about the battery life then :whistle:
For the last 2 years some of the model 3s are made in Shanghai and in the near future, Berlin.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I kinda flip that on it's head. My fun car is my E85 Z4. It is also my commuter car. I would not want to drive a car I care overly about on my daily commute. My CLS is used at weekends, and for trips to the flat, and holidays.

I was going to say typical guy that buys a big merc and thinks he's a driver!

I had an e86 and it's one of the few cars I regret massively not holding onto. Such fun, you have good taste!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
40 mins - so about 8 times as long as filling my current car up and then it’s still not fully charged , it also doesn’t help that there are no points like that in the town I live in , nearest one is 15 miles away ad opposed to my nearest garage 1.2 miles away. Also for the same £24k I can get myself a brand new car with 1 mile on the clock.

I’m also not in Tesla which appears to be the new BMW driver. It comes with an immediate stigma

Just the £40k - wow cheap as chips.

Your worse than the sun you know Phil , misrepresentation all the time

Should get a collum

40k brand new

So second hand in 5 years how much?

Use your Noddle.