The all things EV chat thread

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Today’s fully charged show, the Lee concept seems different. Might be interesting what coming out if it, a bit like Lego.

Mandofred

Visit site
Almost no points here in Harrogate. Just looking at a list and most would be private....like at a hotel. If the numbers around this part of the country increase dramatically......then I would be interested. The points here in Harrogate aren't the problem for me though......it's how many points are in places nicely spaced around the country. Right now......no-where near enough.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Almost no points here in Harrogate. Just looking at a list and most would be private....like at a hotel. If the numbers around this part of the country increase dramatically......then I would be interested. The points here in Harrogate aren't the problem for me though......it's how many points are in places nicely spaced around the country. Right now......no-where near enough.

How many do you need and where do you want to go? ChargePoints everywhere. I’d understand if charging at home is not possible though.

Attachments

• B5F008FF-BF36-43E6-AE87-3E7749F5A042.jpg
    B5F008FF-BF36-43E6-AE87-3E7749F5A042.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 10

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Electric cars got that bit more expensive

The grant been slashed from £3000 to £2500 from tomorrow apparently

Then cars over 35k no grant

Mandofred

Visit site
How many do you need and where do you want to go? ChargePoints everywhere. I’d understand if charging at home is not possible though.
Charging at home not an issue, small detached house with drive. For instance.....I checked the Redcar area......at first I thought there just might be a fair amount of chargers, but then I noticed that places had 1 or 2 chargers but weren't available (broken?). Others had 1 or 2 chargers....that means if I were to stop there I would have to hope that the points were open (not in use or broken) or I'd have to drive to another place and hope another charge point was available. I don't want to have to hope, I want to know. There are only a few points here in Harrogate (that I know of....yes, I realise I might be missing some) that seem available to the public. Most are in hotel type parking lots for customers. It will be at least a couple of years before I'm ready to even think about changing out of our current car (less than 2 years old).....I'm hoping by that time there will be a huge increase in the easy availability of charging points. Right now, when you watch a YouTube it seems people have to really plan ahead and then hope things are working.

I'm actually a perfect candidate for electric. My wife and I do almost all of our driving within 15 miles of Harrogate (golf course and grocery store)....once the country starts opening up again we will take the occasional few days away to the coast etc. The charge points need to be made easy to find, real easy. At this point, not yet.

I fully admit that I am basing my views on what I read and see online.....without doing much research. I could be wrong. But until I start seeing obvious charge points (as I do with petrol stations) scattered around.....it's too complicated for most people.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
OK, it would seem that cost, range and ease of re-charging are the main points of contention. All good reasons currently for me not to consider replacing my current car.
One other thing that concerns me is the possibility of the manufacturer exerting some control and influence on the ongoing operation of the vehicle - for example, I read recently that Tesla(?) were able to download instructions to cars that would switch off / disable the rear seat heating function. I don’t like the idea that anything can be changed remotely. How accurate is my concern?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK, it would seem that cost, range and ease of re-charging are the main points of contention. All good reasons currently for me not to consider replacing my current car.
One other thing that concerns me is the possibility of the manufacturer exerting some control and influence on the ongoing operation of the vehicle - for example, I read recently that Tesla(?) were able to download instructions to cars that would switch off / disable the rear seat heating function. I don’t like the idea that anything can be changed remotely. How accurate is my concern?

Only telsa really have that control

Their a law until themsleves

Their basically apple

Mandofred

Visit site
If that's true, I'd be unhappy. I don't like my car to do things without me doing them. I'm still not a huge fan of ABS brakes.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
New Peugeot 308 coming later in the year. Love this colour. And available as all electric.

That is a colour I love too. Really wanted my Mercedes in that colour, but given they only made 80 odd of the model I own, no one was ever mad enough to order one. That said, the Mrs has banned me from getting mine wrapped. No taste. None.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If that's true, I'd be unhappy. I don't like my car to do things without me doing them. I'm still not a huge fan of ABS brakes.

From what I gather it's like windows upgrading your computer.
You go to bed with 500 BHP and in the morning you have 550 BHP
Or a sat nav upgrade etc

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
From what I gather it's like windows upgrading your computer.
You go to bed with 500 BHP and in the morning you have 550 BHP
Or a sat nav upgrade etc
Might lead to some interesting Insurance Q&A’s:
Has the car been modified in any way ?
Although I guess if the manufacturer is doing it, with or without your knowledge, that would be OK.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See I think this is naughty

Proof they can do it cheaper

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/...rice-cut-responds-new-plug-car-grant-criteria

Lowering the price (yes by only £550 but I'm sure others will be by more) to make them eligible for the grant from the gov now they changed it to have an upper limit

Altho maybe this will force car makers to reduce prices all round as they don't cost that much more anymore their just protecting their Ice market

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So today marks 2 months since the Corsa arrives

I'm at work ATM so milage I've done is 1301 in that time but will be 1325 by tonight.

Total costs to charge at home £15.17

So 1p per mile ATM

However I been lucky. We have 1 3 pin plug at work that we are allowed to use in the car park. 4 of us with ev or phevs so we share

I've had a week with nobody else in so a free week this week

Today nobody in so gonna get me to 100% before I leave

It's limited to 2kwph rather than 3 so it's really slow but it's better than nothing tops up nicely (especially on nights)

Very happy ATM

In contrast in that time I filled up the alhambra before the car arrived and it's done 150 miles .. 100 of them just giving it a run to work to make sure it's ticking over

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think the best way to sum up this thread is.....

If you enjoy driving get a conventional car

If you just want to get from A to B get an EV

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't kid yourself Gordon. Go and drive an electric.
Unless you are totally against automatics I think you will be very impressed.

Ah mate I'm with you there .... I love driving it .. instant power at the lights have to slow down

Very nice in the corners

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does a car become fun to drive because it is quick?

Where would a Mazda MX5 fit in that world?

Instant torque from electric cars is just one of the reasons their fun. Loaded with tech . Not for everyone but don't hear many people who get them (who have researched if they suit their lifestyle rather than just think ooo I'll save money in fuel) want to change back