The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree but the point is, renewable energy is the cheapest, cleanest and often the most convenient way of fuelling your house/car.
And it wont run out.
Oil, gas and coal will run out.
I can't see people installing a nuclear power plant or a hydrogen factory on their driveway any time soon.
I agree with most of your points but EVs are not convenient if you don't have off street parking or do long journeys which is a considerable percentage of the motoring population.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree but the point is, renewable energy is the cheapest, cleanest and often the most convenient way of fuelling your house/car.
Certainly nowhere true for a good percentage of the population

It’s not cheap to buy the vehicles , it’s not cheap to install solar panels

And electric cars are nowhere near convenient for millions

And it wont run out.
Oil, gas and coal will run out.
I can't see people installing a nuclear power plant or a hydrogen factory on their driveway any time soon.

When will fossil fuels run out ? There are thousands of fields around the world untapped currently , huge reservoirs or oil to be mined , same with coal

Green renewable energy gives some people a nice fluffy feeling but the world relies and will do for many years to come on fossil fuels - those fossil fuels allow those pink and fluffy cars to be built in the first place

It’s starting to become like a cult where others are standing upon a pedestal pointing down at the unworthy who don’t have an electric car and are ruining the planet

D

Deleted member 18588

The article said they were ex lease cars, beyond that I have no knowledge other than there were thousands all parked up with no-where to go.
I can confirm that they are vehicles that have reached the end of their lease and will now be going either to auction or to used car dealerships.

D

Deleted member 18588

That's because people are handing back cars but second hand cars are hardly flying off the forcourts ATM with people skint or working from home ..

They will be bargains soon enough
With the redemption costs involved in early termination there are not very many that are "handed back".

D

Deleted member 18588

At end of lease or PCP without signing up to ne deal
So they don't replace their car at the end of the term?

The vehicles at Rockingham are sold into the trade, either directly or via the auctions.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
According to Wiki (not the most reliable, accepted), it takes between 4 and 20 years to pay back on the installation of solar panels, the average is 11 years. That is just to pay back, whilst using normal electric use in the home, heating, hot water, what ever it powers.

Add charging a car to this, and it's going to be a long time before this is really viable in the UK, I can maybe see it working in the Mediterranean.

Yes, the tech might change, improve, but that will take time, and probably add cost. Add in the cost of a battery to store, plus the cost of the EV, and I am doubtful this solution will be viable any time soon.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
According to Wiki (not the most reliable, accepted), it takes between 4 and 20 years to pay back on the installation of solar panels, the average is 11 years. That is just to pay back, whilst using normal electric use in the home, heating, hot water, what ever it powers.

Add charging a car to this, and it's going to be a long time before this is really viable in the UK, I can maybe see it working in the Mediterranean.

Yes, the tech might change, improve, but that will take time, and probably add cost. Add in the cost of a battery to store, plus the cost of the EV, and I am doubtful this solution will be viable any time soon.

I will finance mine with equity release which means all I get is a vast reduction in my monthly fuel bill :)

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’m in the market for a new vehicle and I will 100% NOT be looking at a full electric vehicle. I do 30000 odd miles a year and the current crop won’t suit me at all.

I will, however, be getting a hybrid of sorts purely for tax purposes. I would have gone for a full diesel if the tax wasn’t such a killer

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I’m in the market for a new vehicle and I will 100% NOT be looking at a full electric vehicle. I do 30000 odd miles a year and the current crop won’t suit me at all.

I will, however, be getting a hybrid of sorts purely for tax purposes. I would have gone for a full diesel if the tax wasn’t such a killer

Is the tax more than the fuel bill difference?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

What are you looking at? Always interesting to see what people fancy. I was looking a year ago and a hybrid Superb was the best option out there. I didn't get one in the end, I bought my lease Superb instead. There are probably more options out there now in that size of car. A friend of mine has just swapped for a plug in Evoque.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
What are you looking at? Always interesting to see what people fancy. I was looking a year ago and a hybrid Superb was the best option out there. I didn't get one in the end, I bought my lease Superb instead. There are probably more options out there now in that size of car. A friend of mine has just swapped for a plug in Evoque.
Superb :ROFLMAO:

I want the biggest vehicle I can get