The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I love range calculations lol I got home last night 40% battery.. easily can go work and back again on that but I wanted to top up to 80%

For mine 0.5 kw is 1% roughly (I work on these rough sums) so I need 40% that's 20kw.. 7kw an hour that's just under 3 hours so plugged it in .. set the point to come on 01:45-04:45 it added 20.7kw in that time .. total cost £1.14

Won't charge until sunday night now with 2 shifts and few local trips at the weekend

So how does that compare with a hydrogen car which costs over 16p per mile?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love range calculations lol I got home last night 40% battery.. easily can go work and back again on that but I wanted to top up to 80%

For mine 0.5 kw is 1% roughly (I work on these rough sums) so I need 40% that's 20kw.. 7kw an hour that's just under 3 hours so plugged it in .. set the point to come on 01:45-04:45 it added 20.7kw in that time .. total cost £1.14

Won't charge until sunday night now with 2 shifts and few local trips at the weekend
I get that but most don't want to spend their time, or have to worry, about regularly having to plug in etc. They may have to get used to this but hydrogen would eliminate that.

I suspect there is an element of going around in circles about this. It is a shame we can not jump forward 3-5 years and see where we are.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that but most don't want to spend their time, or have to worry, about regularly having to plug in etc. They may have to get used to this but hydrogen would eliminate that.

I suspect there is an element of going around in circles about this. It is a shame we can not jump forward 3-5 years and see where we are.

Little and often is the idea with electric that's what a lot of people miss tho, too used to the norm

The idea is to have chargers say at work or the supermarket

Come in, plug in go home

Get home plug in full battery next day

(Ruling out non driveway there)

However on my way to work I pass a telsa and a leaf parked on street, they must manage it! But then there is a charger at the shell garage up the road

The father in law is changing jobs.. maintaining petrol pumps but also now installing chargers at forcourts .. I saw the shell program where the CEO said they going to have chargers at all garages

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So how does that compare with a hydrogen car which costs over 16p per mile?

By that time cheap electric evening plans will be gone and it will be a flat rate 14ppkw or whatever we pay by then

Yes hydrogen will be more expensive but people will pay it for convenience no doubt

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I get that you‘re very evangelical about EV’s, but I doubt hydrogen powered cars will be more polluting and less future proof than pure EV over their whole life and that’s includes the raw materials. They must surely be better for the planet in that you don’t need to rape the ground for certain elements.

You mean the Lithium that is used in every mobile phone, tablet and laptop on the planet?
Or Cobalt that is also used to remove sulphur from oil?
Or should we carry on raping the planet of oil, coal and gas and burning it to make electricity to make the hydrogen?

It is a shame we can not jump forward 3-5 years and see where we are.

I think the fact that there are over 38,000 charging points in the uk and 13 garages selling hydrogen tells me where we will be.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Little and often is the idea with electric that's what a lot of people miss tho, too used to the norm

The idea is to have chargers say at work or the supermarket

Come in, plug in go home

Get home plug in full battery next day

(Ruling out non driveway there)

However on my way to work I pass a telsa and a leaf parked on street, they must manage it! But then there is a charger at the shell garage up the road

The father in law is changing jobs.. maintaining petrol pumps but also now installing chargers at forcourts .. I saw the shell program where the CEO said they going to have chargers at all garages
I keep hearing that but I don't see the evidence. A brand new supermarket was built behind my factory last year, it opened in April. 350 parking spaces, 2 chargers. That's a new place, built from the ground up. If they are serious about this then it should have been flooded with chargers. Equally, throughout my town I see the odd charger in public car parks but nothing of note. 2 here, 2 there. Nowhere near enough to give comfort to people that changing now is right.

I do think you are right about people having to change from what they are used to. That will be part of the battle, we are going from something that is very convenient and simple to something that requires more work and planning.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the fact that there are over 38,000 charging points in the uk and 13 garages selling hydrogen tells me where we will be.
It is not quite as clear cut as that. The infrastucture to go to Hydrogen is already there, it just needs adapations from exisiting forecourts. They could go from 13 to 500 in no time if the tech and cars became available. Each garage can then service x thousands of cars per day. Far easier to upgrade than installing electric points everywhere, as we are seeing, or not seeing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I keep hearing that but I don't see the evidence. A brand new supermarket was built behind my factory last year, it opened in April. 350 parking spaces, 2 chargers. That's a new place, built from the ground up. If they are serious about this then it should have been flooded with chargers. Equally, throughout my town I see the odd charger in public car parks but nothing of note. 2 here, 2 there. Nowhere near enough to give comfort to people that changing now is right.

I do think you are right about people having to change from what they are used to. That will be part of the battle, we are going from something that is very convenient and simple to something that requires more work and planning.

I think every space needs a charger well every few spaces .. then they could do 2 spaces at once
But they can be added afters easily

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
city driving will be EV.
But anything where you need a big range will be hydrogen with EV built in for city centres.
Wagons ,trains ,busses etc can’t be sitting around for hours recharging.
But in city centres I do see EV being the transport forced on people by regulations.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
city driving will be EV.
But anything where you need a big range will be hydrogen with EV built in for city centres.
Wagons ,trains ,busses etc can’t be sitting around for hours recharging.
But in city centres I do see EV being the transport forced on people by regulations.

38% of the rail network is electrified now

Hopefully more to follow

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You mean the Lithium that is used in every mobile phone, tablet and laptop on the planet?
I agree it's not ideal, but the quatities required are far less than what a car needs
Or Cobalt that is also used to remove sulphur from oil?
Aren't we aiming to stop the production of internal combustion engines?
Or should we carry on raping the planet of oil, coal and gas and burning it to make electricity to make the hydrogen?
As you keep saying, electricity can be made from many different sources. Just how do you intend to make the electricity to charge your EV or is that a different type of electric?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Would you buy an electric car?

No, as we could never afford one.

Just as aside, and I have no idea what your budget is, but...

2 years ago, one of my golf partners leased a new Nissan Leaf. It was 220 up front, and then 220 a month for 2 years. So total 5500 for two years.

Sounds expensive, but there is no road tax, no mot, no congestion charge, no depreciation, very little servicing, no initial expense to buy (1000s), no bank loan, and very cheap to charge. Very much fixed price motoring.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just as aside, and I have no idea what your budget is, but...

2 years ago, one of my golf partners leased a new Nissan Leaf. It was 220 up front, and then 220 a month for 2 years. So total 5500 for two years.

Sounds expensive, but there is no road tax, no mot, no congestion charge, no depreciation, very little servicing, no initial expense to buy (1000s), no bank loan, and very cheap to charge. Very much fixed price motoring.
What was the mileage limit on that? Those numbers seem keen so I'm guessing the limit was low

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I keep hearing people say "lease" with cars, but has anyone else seen the pictures of Rockingham circuit, now used as a giant car park for the ex-lease cars that were returned for whatever reason?
It really is quite scary. At some point the lease market will collapse.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What was the mileage limit on that? Those numbers seem keen so I'm guessing the limit was low

No idea, but for many, how many miles do people really do? Go shopping, golf club, drop kids at school, and that's about it. His Mrs has a Peugeot SUV that is used for longer journeys. TBH, I don't think the SUV hoes anywhere either, but it's a company car.
I think alot of people have zero idea of what their real mileage is.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just how do you intend to make the electricity to charge your EV or is that a different type of electric?

I would say yes.
You could use electricity made by mining, transporting, storing and burning fossil fuels or you could charge an EV from batteries charged by solar panels.
I know which I would choose