The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted member 15344

99%? Vastely understated .. probably 50% of the population could switch if required

How many lease privately or through buisness? That could happen at the end of their next deal

50% ? Really ? Based on what ?

Sorry but it’s a pipe dream right now

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
You would have thought that would have been agreed at the very beginning. I was amazed it was not the case to be honest. Some heads really need to be cracked together so this gets sorted before too many mfrs are entrenched in their set ups.

Universal charging points should also be the norm. The idea that you can not stop at charger A because it is the wrong type, or you need mulitple apps to pay is crackers. You should be able to roll up to any charger, plug in, have one app to pay, drive off.

Think at the start an open mind as to what avenue of development has the best potential is a sensible path... But at some point there has to be some sort of collective agreement which way to go with battery type/charging method... Certainly for everyday commuter usage... The supercar fraternity can and most probably will tread their own path... My boys raced electric model cars and from where batteries were when they started to what's in use now is phenomenal... 4mins of pussyfooting to 10+ mins of flat out blast...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t have a car on pcp or lease.
I buy what I like and drive it forever ... I see interest as dead money I get nothing from it ! So why pay it, I don’t get that back on my money either.
What we have is a fickle population who don’t understand money and don’t realise they are being financially exploited.. if I told you that a Range Rover gives the dealership 100% profit and that’s after JLR have made their 100% and then you have the financial services making 5.9% apr etc.... (by the way JLR lose a lot of that with warranty claims and pointless development costs .. hence them going down the toilet)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I buy what I like and drive it forever ... I see interest as dead money I get nothing from it ! So why pay it, I don’t get that back on my money either.
What we have is a fickle population who don’t understand money and don’t realise they are being financially exploited.. if I told you that a Range Rover gives the dealership 100% profit and that’s after JLR have made their 100% and then you have the financial services making 5.9% apr etc.... (by the way JLR lose a lot of that with warranty claims and pointless development costs .. hence them going down the toilet)

It's not just a fickle population. It's a poor population who can't afford to lay out big sums at once on a car

Also get a lot of 0% PCP. Offers

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would have thought that would have been agreed at the very beginning. I was amazed it was not the case to be honest. Some heads really need to be cracked together so this gets sorted before too many mfrs are entrenched in their set ups.

Universal charging points should also be the norm. The idea that you can not stop at charger A because it is the wrong type, or you need mulitple apps to pay is crackers. You should be able to roll up to any charger, plug in, have one app to pay, drive off.

Type one and chademo (spelling) were the American way and the leaf 1.0 had them because nissan were in line with them

Type two is European standard as is CCS

In my car I have one socket that's dual, type 2 and then CCS goes into the type 2 but fills the 2 holes under it aswell to provide the extra speed

A lot of charge points provide all of these

To future proof your house the best way is to just get a type 2 socket installed no tether and then you just get a cable that goes to type 2 to whatever the car has but majority now are type 2

Telsa have their CCS that I believe can use normal but we can't use theirs ATM they won't let EVs on their network so the chip locks them out

I have a tethered point at home for ease of use , apparently if I want to change to another car and say type 3 suddenly was s thing I could swap cables on it pretty easy . My mate switched his own

I think all public points should provide a spare type 2 point thst has no cable

Tesco near me do that and you just plug your cable in job done

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I am sure they make a 50% margin, not 100% profit. 50% margin is pretty common in many businesses, especially retail.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So electric cars don't have brakes, steering or suspension that require checking or servicing?

Didn't say that. I said they have less moving parts not no moving parts.

For example the first service on an electric car is 8000 miles it's £80 just s check (main dealer) and then it goes to 16,000 miles or 2 years because they don't suffer the same wear

And brake pads etc are worn less because of the breaking system you are encouraged to use which in a leaf is best when you take foot off the gas it puts on the full engine break so you drive one pedal. It's very efficient and popular

The corsas isn't as powerful but does slow you enough .. saving the breaks and also recharging the battery as you go

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Corsa replaced the HRV

HRV monthly £295
Corsa month £275

Monthly fuel cost before £100
Monthly fuel cost now £20

Hrv service cost £380 average including £90 Cvt extra
Corsa service £80-100 every 2 years call £50 a year

HRV tax £150
Corsa tax £0

Total yearly

5260 hrv
3590 Corsa

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Research solid state batteries which are being developed by Toyota .. due to in car testing this year
It's strange you use Toyota for your example, when Toyota see hydrogen fuel cell as the long term way forward and not pure EV.

The problem is as I see it, we are an island nation who thinks we are more important and influential than we really are. Us having a few extra leccy charging points in our lamp-posts isn't going to change the World. You have to think of mid USA. Only when your American driver can drive across the plains with only a quick fuel stop will cars actually change globally. Pure EV is never going to work because no-one is going to lay millions of miles of leccy cables so your country belt dweller can rapid charge his pick-up on the way to the market. Swap out petrol for hydrogen and you have the answer.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I want to like electric cars.

Currently infrastructure seems crap. Charging points are full/broken at work. Being an Early Adopter never works out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where does the electricity come from to make the hydrogen?
Same place as to charge electric cars I'd guess. The great benefit of hydrogen, I know there are downsides to overcome, is that refuelliing is similar to existing cars, refuelling can hook into the existing petrol station network and so infrastructure costs are significantly lower, range anxiety no longer exists.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I get what he's saying, hydrogen easy to refill fast and go say 300 tank

I think we have a split market

Hydrogen lorries, and cars but plenty using the more up to date electric ones by then

To answer the OP question no I wouldn't buy an electric car. I'd lease one. Then your always on the cutting edge of battery tech and haven't fully committed

If say in 4 years electric cars suddenly went. Say synthetic petrol took off or hydrogen.. and everyone got that making electric cars worth a lot less I simply hand my back and switch

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same place as to charge electric cars I'd guess. The great benefit of hydrogen, I know there are downsides to overcome, is that refuelliing is similar to existing cars, refuelling can hook into the existing petrol station network and so infrastructure costs are significantly lower, range anxiety no longer exists.

I love range calculations lol I got home last night 40% battery.. easily can go work and back again on that but I wanted to top up to 80%

For mine 0.5 kw is 1% roughly (I work on these rough sums) so I need 40% that's 20kw.. 7kw an hour that's just under 3 hours so plugged it in .. set the point to come on 01:45-04:45 it added 20.7kw in that time .. total cost £1.14

Won't charge until sunday night now with 2 shifts and few local trips at the weekend

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that you‘re very evangelical about EV’s, but I doubt hydrogen powered cars will be more polluting and less future proof than pure EV over their whole life and that’s includes the raw materials. They must surely be better for the planet in that you don’t need to rape the ground for certain elements.