The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
40 mins - so about 8 times as long as filling my current car up and then it’s still not fully charged , it also doesn’t help that there are no points like that in the town I live in , nearest one is 15 miles away ad opposed to my nearest garage 1.2 miles away. Also for the same £24k I can get myself a brand new car with 1 mile on the clock.

I’m also not in Tesla which appears to be the new BMW driver. It comes with an immediate stigma

Just the £40k - wow cheap as chips.

About the same price as a BMW Z4 sport

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That's the thing Bob it's like comparing an apple with a spade

Two cars that are completely different

What I wnna see in 3 years is the price of an electric Corsa and a ice one second hand and brand new

There won't be that much in it

D

Deleted Member 1156

To put into context

45 litre tank using £1.25 as the price for fuel so 10 gallons at 50mpg would be £56 (500 miles range)

Even using the charging during the peak (14p per kw) battery would be £7 to full for 200 miles

So 1.5 charges £17.50

For the same cost can travel 1600 miles

Now will come the usual replies but just those are the figures

Side note the cheap rate is £2.55 a charge so £6.40 im saying to go 500 miles

For the £56 you can go 4250 miles

Rather than £476
Woosh......

D

Deleted member 15344

Your worse than the sun you know Phil , misrepresentation all the time

Should get a collum

40k brand new

So second hand in 5 years how much?

Use your Noddle.

Still far more expensive than the equivalent petrol car and prob at the same price as a brand new equivalent though

But the model 3 isn’t a comparable car to a Z4 - surely you should be comparing it the same level petrol car and its going to be more expensive as well an all the inconvenience that comes with it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still far more expensive than the equivalent petrol car and prob at the same price as a brand new equivalent though

But the model 3 isn’t a comparable car to a Z4 - surely you should be comparing it the same level petrol car and its going to be more expensive as well an all the inconvenience that comes with it

Not at all. Do some actual research then come back maybe ? Do EV hold their value the same .. you need to look into it rather than blanket statements as always

And 300 mile telsa doesn't come with much inconvenience day to day. Come home stick on charge wake up full charge ... No need to go out

You miss more points than Liverpool these days .

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Murph has a BMW Z4, that's why I mentioned it.

You will never ever convince Phil or change his opinion on any subject

He has his ill researched thoughts and he won't change them for anyone.

Even with evidence he doesn't budge.

I mean the facts are ev will take off with the young generation. Leasing them with insurance built in (£400 pm for a renualt Zoe) insurance, maintain even 1000 mile charge .. if your a young driver that's cheap to get a car (insurance can be stupidly high for youth)

If he came with the proper points like

The fact that each charging point maker has their own payment method (with an app, or order a card) rather than just tap and pay for most (that's changing tho)

Or that chargers haven't always been universal (are now by EU law)

Or even that telsa have their own network that others can't use .. imagine ford had petrol garages just for them

But now outdated views that have been proved wrong time and time again ?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m delivering a VW ID4 tomorrow
I’ll post my thoughts ?

I'm very interested with that car .. it's a bit out there... I mean the gear stick is where you would find the rear wipes on mine

Very interesting styling.. again very out there

I like the leaf that it's been built as a EV car rather than like mine (can't tell the diff) so it's a very good car.. interested to see if vw can

Because until now German battery size has been pathetic

D

Deleted member 15344

You will never ever convince Phil or change his opinion on any subject

He has his ill researched thoughts and he won't change them for anyone.

Even with evidence he doesn't budge.

I mean the facts are ev will take off with the young generation. Leasing them with insurance built in (£400 pm for a renualt Zoe) insurance, maintain even 1000 mile charge .. if your a young driver that's cheap to get a car (insurance can be stupidly high for youth)

If he came with the proper points like

The fact that each charging point maker has their own payment method (with an app, or order a card) rather than just tap and pay for most (that's changing tho)

Or that chargers haven't always been universal (are now by EU law)

Or even that telsa have their own network that others can't use .. imagine ford had petrol garages just for them

But now outdated views that have been proved wrong time and time again ?

£400 a month for a car - how many of the “young” generation do you believe afford that - and for a matchbox car ???

Here are some fact for you

1. Petrol cars are cheaper to buy brand new and second hand then their equivalent EV ones- Corsa E £27k , Ford Fiesta £17k

2. It takes 5 mins for someone to fill up their petrol car from empty to full

3. You are never more than 5 mins from a petrol station

4. I don’t need to plug in my petrol car at night

5. Petrol car drivers don’t have a superiority complex over anyone that doesn’t drive a petrol car

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£400 a month for a car - how many of the “young” generation do you believe afford that - and for a matchbox car ???

1. Petrol cars are cheaper to buy brand new and second hand then their equivalent EV ones

5. Petrol car drivers don’t have a superiority complex over anyone that doesn’t drive a petrol car

1. Yes but won't be in the future.. prices are coming down in the main
2. Charging is taking less and less as batteries improve
3. Yes you are. That's bull. Even in London there are places that are well over 5 mins so talking rubbish (as normal)
4. And? Don't plug mine in every night. Not plugged in now got 83% battery ..
5. Only person with a god complex is you. Always got to be right even when you know bugger all ?

D

Deleted member 15344

1. Yes but won't be in the future.. prices are coming down in the main
2. Charging is taking less and less as batteries improve
3. Yes you are. That's bull. Even in London there are places that are well over 5 mins so talking rubbish (as normal)
4. And? Don't plug mine in every night. Not plugged in now got 83% battery ..
5. Only person with a god complex is you. Always got to be right even when you know bugger all ?

Yes but ??

£10k more expensive.

£27k for a small car

For less than that people can get a Tiguan now

And unless you have some power to see in the future then anything you suggest about the future is nothing but guessing

When the day comes that an electric car can

Cost the same
Go the same distance
And be refilled in the same time to the same level
And style the same

An electric car for the majority of the country will be second choice

The fact you believe £400 a month is affordable for younger generation to me shows how far out of touch you are with mere petrol driving mortals.

You are one step down from knocking on people’s door telling them to step into the light of the electric car

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was interested in the new BMW i4 when it is launched. But rumours have it being M4 money.
If I am going to spend M4 money, I'd buy an M4. Makes no sense to price it like that.

So, until a decent looking and decent priced electric car is produced, I will stick with my petrol monstrosity.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes but ??

£10k more expensive.

£27k for a small car

For less than that people can get a Tiguan now

And unless you have some power to see in the future then anything you suggest about the future is nothing but guessing

When the day comes that an electric car can

Cost the same
Go the same distance
And be refilled in the same time to the same level
And style the same

An electric car for the majority of the country will be second choice

The fact you believe £400 a month is affordable for younger generation to me shows how far out of touch you are with mere petrol driving mortals.

How much is insurance a month for a 21 yo ? Looking at £100.
How much is fuel £50 or more
Then as I've said many times a lot of people lease. Just because you didn't doesn't mean it's not true. So that's £200-300 depending easy

Simple maths puts that near £400 pm

Why insurance included schemes are popular. And why this will be good and will be used.

Even if they won't be the same as petrol they are already taking off. Fact

And people need to change their lifestyle long term because reality check Phil. Sometimes you need to change

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Z4 is fun. Its actually more than fun. It cost 5500 4 years ago, at 9 years old, and is now worth half that. For what it cost, and how long I will keep it, it doesn't owe me anything. I love this car. I will own it for as long as it is economically viable. I run cars until they die. It does 12000 miles a year.

Mrs Mogs has had her Z3M coupe since 2002. In terms of pollution, ok, it's a petrol 3200cc. In terms of footprint, it's a 23 year old car. Running a car longer is about the greenest thing you can do. It currently does about 3000 miles a year.

My CLS. New, 100k, to me, 3 years old, 40k. The build quality is superb. Again, I will run this car til it dies. Potentially another 10 years minimum, probably longer. I don't change cars often. This will be cherished, and loved. It does 12000 miles a year, roughly.

I don't see that binning one of these, and spending 40k is really going to be saving the planet any time soon. The Z3 doesn't go anywhere, the Z4 has finished depreciating, and anything newer is squandering resources, and the CLS spreads its emissions in the country, not populated areas. It has also in cash terms depreciated 5k in 3 years. That is not bad.

D

Deleted member 15344

How much is insurance a month for a 21 yo ? Looking at £100.
How much is fuel £50 or more
Then as I've said many times a lot of people lease. Just because you didn't doesn't mean it's not true. So that's £200-300 depending easy

Simple maths puts that near £400 pm

Why insurance included schemes are popular. And why this will be good and will be used.

Even if they won't be the same as petrol they are already taking off. Fact

And people need to change their lifestyle long term because reality check Phil. Sometimes you need to change

How many 21year olds do you know that spend £200-300 leasing a car ?!

Most 21 year olds I know have spent about £1k approx on a ten year old plus car

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

1. Petrol cars are cheaper to buy brand new and second hand then their equivalent EV ones- Corsa E £27k , Ford Fiesta £17k

Phil you are getting repetitive and a bit boring, you’ve said your piece and we get your opinion.

No EV’s are not for everyone at the moment, that’s a given, yes the price needs to drop, that’s a given. Charging infrastructure needs to improve, that’s a given

They are cheap to run, great to drive, and the above issues will improve over time.

So why not leave this thread to those who want to discuss the subject rather than just dissing everything

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Phil you are getting repetitive and a bit boring, you’ve said your piece and we get your opinion.

No EV’s are not for everyone at the moment, that’s a given, yes the price needs to drop, that’s a given. Charging infrastructure needs to improve, that’s a given

They are cheap to run, great to drive, and the above issues will improve over time.

So why not leave this thread to those who want to discuss the subject rather than just dissing everything

I think the same could be applied to the EV evangelists really. There is nothing new there either.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I also really don't understand how plugging a car In at home is a massive inconvenience ?

Everyone comes home, locks car , goes in house

If I need charge now I'll come home, open fuel cap, get the tethered lead (so it's not even find the lead, which is 7 meters walk maybe unless I'm parked next to it as we swapped the cars) plug in.. lock car.. go inside

It will do its thing

If I want to charge cheap

I'll do the same but when I plug in I'll press a button next to the fueling socket that goes blue to say come on at 01:30

So that's it

Wake up.. full tank

It's litterally less work for me than stopping on home , in and out my car and paying then driving home

I get the time .. but the plugging itself it's like plugging in your phone when you go to bed

Mines even easier now I got an app on my phone I can turn the charger on and off from the sofa if I decide ..