The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite a few consumer products have a transport mode, it’s where everything is fastened down, so nothing can move during transit and get damaged.

Your fridge or printer possibly has one.
All cars not just leccy ones also have a transport mode ?

Ah right I see

Hopefully move it soon eh!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite a few consumer products have a transport mode, it’s where everything is fastened down, so nothing can move during transit and get damaged.

Your fridge or printer possibly has one.
All cars not just leccy ones also have a transport mode ?
The fridges one is sticky tape and pieces of polystyrene or cardboard to hold the shelves in place, nothing more;)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Different way of working things. A lot of people lease. A hell of a lot of people

My lease car will cost me £13200 over 4 years then hand back and start again..

People also struggle to remember that yes some people will go and buy a second hand car for 10k but many will lease because they can't afford to lay down that 3k up front or whatever for a car ..but they can budget for £150 a month for a new car which they need now and not to save up for

Plus if they save for a 3k car less will go wrong in theory with the £150 a month lease

Many ways to skin a cat.

I always pay for my insurance up front but 90% of the people I know who aren't my family pay monthly even tho costs more
Perhaps if more people weren't so accepting to be paying forever to have a car as you appear, the manufacturers wouldn't produce cars that don't even have an oil dipstick.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you need an oil dipstick? Don't think any car I have has had one since my 55 plate Alfa GT.

Some people don't trust modern tech for anything .. be it auto wipers, lights, oil checking via a computer so a rechargeable car is going to be a massive change for so many

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you need an oil dipstick? Don't think any car I have has had one since my 55 plate Alfa GT.
So that your actual owner can if they want to, check the oil and more if they are so inclined, rather than never lifting the bonnet because "it's not mine it's a lease"

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But most have on board diagnostics that read the oil level, more accurately, than a dipstick does. The need for a dipstick is replaced by sensors.
But you need diagnostic equipment yourself, but how hard is it to pull a dipstick?
You should be popping the bonnet to check washer fluid every week anyway;)

Your BMW might have onboard diagnostics, but none of my vehicles have ever had that.....oil is checked by dipstick and the metal thing that goes in the engines tube;)