The all things EV chat thread

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I frequently drive 400 + miles in a day often with a twin axle trailer fully laden one way and empty on the return, so currently the hybrid or electric vehicles just won't fit the requirements.

I still believe that in the future the running costs will rise dramatically to replace the lost revenue from fuel tax.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I frequently drive 400 + miles in a day often with a twin axle trailer fully laden one way and empty on the return, so currently the hybrid or electric vehicles just won't fit the requirements.

I still believe that in the future the running costs will rise dramatically to replace the lost revenue from fuel tax.

They will have to do a pay per mile road service or something (which will hit petrol twice).
I can see that happening due to them wanting to tax petrol off the road plus make up for electric low cost

I can't see them dramatically raising electric costs as it would unfairly punish people who don't even own a car if they go from 15p for a kw to 30pA

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't see them dramatically raising electric costs as it would unfairly punish people who don't even own a car if they go from 15p for a kw to 30pA

I don't think it would be much of a challenge to devise a system to ensure that a different tariff is used to charge a car than that being used for a domestic dwelling.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They will have to do a pay per mile road service or something (which will hit petrol twice).
I can see that happening due to them wanting to tax petrol off the road plus make up for electric low cost

I think it'll be a pay per mile charge linked to a telematics solution. Drive at peak times - pay extra. Drive on motorways - pay extra. Drive on residential roads - pay extra.

And will give the extra "benefits" of tracking the population quite well, and handing out instant fines.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think it would be much of a challenge to devise a system to ensure that a different tariff is used to charge a car than that being used for a domestic dwelling.

Again disagree. What you going to do for every excisting user? You can't tell ATM what the usage is for you would have to have another smart meter installed at their house with one for normal usage and one for car

And I doubt they could force that on people so if you already have a charging set up you just pay lower?

The pay as you use system on the roads will be the way forward as it's been talked about a few times by government ..

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again disagree. What you going to do for every excisting user? You can't tell ATM what the usage is for you would have to have another smart meter installed at their house with one for normal usage and one for car

And I doubt they could force that on people so if you already have a charging set up you just pay lower?

The pay as you use system on the roads will be the way forward as it's been talked about a few times by government ..

A seperate meter for car charging would be very simple and the costs insignificant versus the amount of fuel revenue. But no matter what system is implemented, the point I am making is that the incredibly cheap running costs currently (pardon the pun) being enjoyed will not last once ICE vehicles begin to be replaced in significant numbers.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A seperate meter for car charging would be very simple and the costs insignificant versus the amount of fuel revenue. But no matter what system is implemented, the point I am making is that the incredibly cheap running costs currently (pardon the pun) being enjoyed will not last once ICE vehicles begin to be replaced in significant numbers.

Sorry but it's not very simple. The gov has spent how much making everyone switch to smart meters do you really think they are going to pay for another switch?

And all those cars already out there wouldn't have to replace their meters as would be no proof of it ...

Yes you could say all future installs need a separate meter

But a pay per mile service would be so simple. Which is basically what petrol is .. more you drive more you pay.

I agree the cheap evening tarifs will go but even still the costs to run compared are cheap as chips .. my £16 would be £40 but would have been hundreds in petrol

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
They will want to tax foreigners as well as domestic drivers for using the UK roads, so taxing home electricity will not be the way.

Also, for those of us who drive petrol or diesel, whatever they add to the road usage for those EVs, that charge will likely be additional to us as well.