The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's great but still a pain in the arris for people that don't have off road parking. Would you want to drive to a petrol station and hang around for an hour or so while you recharge?

The speeds they have quoted will have a 100kw battery charged in 30 mins

Can see 50kw batterys being a norm so 15 mins

It's what 5 mins now?

So extra 10 mins

What is always overlooked is the world is changing. Humans might actually have to make a change to their habits rather than have tech just slot in..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you want to drive to a petrol station and hang around for an hour or so while you recharge?

No, you would plug in at Asda or Tesco or Lidls and fill er up while you're shopping.
Or at the gym, golf club, multi storey car park, restaurant, bar, cinema etc.
I know they're not all available yet but it wont be long.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, you would plug in at Asda or Tesco or Lidls and fill er up while you're shopping.

My golf club has them but they went too early and got type 1 before type 2 became the standard lol

The Tesco one I would use a lot more if not for covid . I haven't done a normal weekly shop since covid all click and collect

My local Tesco's have 7kw charges free to use so an hour in Tesco would top me up nicely

D

Deleted Member 1156

My local Tesco's have 7kw charges free to use so an hour in Tesco would top me up nicely
And that's the problem for people that don't have off street parking. If I want to 'top up' my car it takes all of 2 minutes.
Yes it will change but how long will it take? EVs have been around for about 10 years now and the situation is still far from ideal.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And that's the problem for people that don't have off street parking. If I want to 'top up' my car it takes all of 2 minutes.
Yes it will change but how long will it take? EVs have been around for about 10 years now and the situation is still far from ideal.

They have come up with converting lamp posts into charge points

Plenty of solutions happening

The ban won't take affect for 9 more years . Then won't filter down really for another 10 so got least 19 more years

If people don't have off street parking I'm sure a solution will be in by 19 years time no?

D-S

Visit site
If i didn’t have off street parking I wouldn’t consider buying an EV as I think a lot of the ‘range anxiety’ issue is lessened for me by the fact that every morning you start with ‘a full tank’. Refuelling elsewhere (which seems a bit of a pain) would only be necessary on longish journeys.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If i didn’t have off street parking I wouldn’t consider buying an EV as I think a lot of the ‘range anxiety’ issue is lessened for me by the fact that every morning you start with ‘a full tank’. Refuelling elsewhere (which seems a bit of a pain) would only be necessary on longish journeys.
That is exactly it, the reality is a small battery range of 130-150miles would be right. They will also charge quicker and possibly be more efficient due to reduced weight. The cost will be less.. currently I am thinking a small electric daily and then a huge V8 for those long journeys ? (of cause this won’t happen because I am married and any fun will be frowned upon! Or some dumb question about having 2 cars )

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is exactly it, the reality is a small battery range of 130-150miles would be right. They will also charge quicker and possibly be more efficient due to reduced weight. The cost will be less.. currently I am thinking a small electric daily and then a huge V8 for those long journeys ? (of cause this won’t happen because I am married and any fun will be frowned upon! Or some dumb question about having 2 cars )

I see 50kw being the nom for battery's

I've got that in mine and all the ones coming out from that seem 50kw now. Can get 200 miles but more realistic 170

Lower Weight like you say

If they get 150kw chargers on board built in that's recharged in 20 mins

My Corsa has a 100kw charger on board ..

Can recharge from 20-80% in 25mins

That's 100 miles added in 25 mins

AAC

Visit site
Electric vehicles - Would I buy one ? - NO never.

A client of mine has a Tesla, it was the most hideous driving experience of my life, after a 10 mile round trip I felt so ill I had to go home from work early. I thought it might have been a one off but at Christmas my daughter hired an electric taxi to take us on a sightseeing trip around london, I endured the 4 hours for her sake but I felt really ill and just wanted to jump out and catch a train home

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A client of mine has a Tesla, it was the most hideous driving experience of my life, after a 10 mile round trip I felt so ill I had to go home from work early. I thought it might have been a one off but at Christmas my daughter hired an electric taxi to take us on a sightseeing trip around london, I endured the 4 hours for her sake but I felt really ill and just wanted to jump out and catch a train home

Isn't that how they are driven? My car feels exactly same as any other car.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought about golf clubs, but I don’t think it’s workable.

We all claim to play our rounds in under 3 hours, but if you think about it, you roll up, get drawn in a group, wait to tee off, play your 3 hour round in just over 4 hours, wait for the last groups to come in, having a lunch an drink; a charger would be blocked for 5+ hours of which the car sits idle and not charging for a chunk of it.

Supermarkets are going to be it. 40 minutes or so turn around. Maybe even subsidised a little to get the punter into their shops.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought about golf clubs, but I don’t think it’s workable.

We all claim to play our rounds in under 3 hours, but if you think about it, you roll up, get drawn in a group, wait to tee off, play your 3 hour round in just over 4 hours, wait for the last groups to come in, having a lunch an drink; a charger would be blocked for 5+ hours of which the car sits idle and not charging for a chunk of it.

Supermarkets are going to be it. 40 minutes or so turn around. Maybe even subsidised a little to get the punter into their shops.

You could move your car before going for a drink etc to another space

RichA

Visit site

Likewise. Been in my brother-in-law's Tesla once. The ride made me want to vomit. It reminded me of going up 50 floors in the high speed lift at Canary Wharf.
It costs him nothing to run it though - ever since he spent £30000 on solar panels and some kind of giant capacitor in his garage.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Likewise. Been in my brother-in-law's Tesla once. The ride made me want to vomit. It reminded me of going up 50 floors in the high speed lift at Canary Wharf.
It costs him nothing to run it though - ever since he spent £30000 on solar panels and some kind of giant capacitor in his garage.

Wouldn't this be the same of any car that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds? Just stands out more because of the name

I mean your average car with 8 seconds 0-60 is hardly going to make anyone feel sick

RichA

Visit site
Had to spend the day driving a Prius hybrid yesterday, once I'd finally found the parking brake hidden behind my left foot.
Expected to hate it, ended up quite liking the electric motor at low speeds kicking into the petrol engine once it got moving. Nothing to do with the power source, but the seats are really comfortable. 8 hours of driving with none of the usual discomfort. I can see why minicab drivers like them.

RichA

Visit site
Wouldn't this be the same of any car that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds? Just stands out more because of the name

I mean your average car with 8 seconds 0-60 is hardly going to make anyone feel sick
True enough, but I think the lack of gearing did me. Experience tells you there's a gear change coming, even in an auto, but it just keeps going - that's how I remember it anyway. And the noise - like a muffled dentist's drill.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I always think if you are driving, you should be mindful of any passengers. Hammering the accelerator or brakes is uncomfortable at best. The time to explore the cars capabilities are when you are on your own.

AAC

Visit site

The taxi made me feel just as ill !!

In the early seventies I was taken for a spin in a race prepared GT40, the acceleration was something else but it never made me feel ill

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I always think if you are driving, you should be mindful of any passengers. Hammering the accelerator or brakes is uncomfortable at best. The time to explore the cars capabilities are when you are on your own.
Will driving lessons and test change? Getting drivers to not only drive safely but also economic? Regen and all that?