The all things EV chat thread

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
You've made zero points , nowhere have I read in this thread or have I suggested that BEVs are for all. They are great for some not so much for others.

Yet somehow when I said that the public charging network needs to improve at a big cost you dismissed the point because I don’t use it 🤷‍♂️

Maybe you didn’t read the posts properly

Back to the Tax issue

This is Finlands answer

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've not used the public network much and when I have it's been open Tesla chargers. It's nice as Tesla owners seemed surprised to see a jaaaaaaaag using their spots. They are opening more and more as well.
Id agree on the drive. I have 400bhp and it's just bosh off we go. Id never say never but I'd be amazed if I ever went back to a petrol or diesel. The driving experience is so much better in an EV and this is coming from a high performance BMW

And bear in mind I drive a 2 ton SUV , it's pretty funny when a boy racer thinks they can sneak past me at the lights 😂😂

A simple solution to improve the charge network for me would be (especially Tesla as it would cost Elon nothing as he owns starlink) to provide free WiFi linked to the units

Then for 1 you can ensure any apps can be easily installed and used (even though I think contactless should be used personally) and 2 people could watch YouTube or do whatever whilst they charge

My mate tethered his phone to his Tesla and watched rick shiels during one charge and another charge he was on a zoom meeting

stevied

Visit site
Yet somehow when I said that the public charging network needs to improve at a big cost you dismissed the point because I don’t use it 🤷‍♂️

Maybe you didn’t read the posts properly

Back to the Tax issue

This is Finlands answer

Well you don't so how do you know ?
Also the UK is doing the same from next year with 195 yearly VED on EVs and the luxury tax on 40k plus ones

stevied

Visit site
A simple solution to improve the charge network for me would be (especially Tesla as it would cost Elon nothing as he owns starlink) to provide free WiFi linked to the units

Then for 1 you can ensure any apps can be easily installed and used (even though I think contactless should be used personally) and 2 people could watch YouTube or do whatever whilst they charge

My mate tethered his phone to his Tesla and watched rick shiels during one charge and another charge he was on a zoom meeting
Will we be following the EU on the contactless laws? It's make so much more sense. Apps are useful and the electroverse discount for octopus is good. But give me contactless as a default option.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Well you don't so how do you know ?
Also the UK is doing the same from next year with 195 yearly VED on EVs and the luxury tax on 40k plus ones
Because there are countless articles out there saying it’s not good enough and the fact it’s been stated they need to install more public chargers with the aim to be around 300k in 10 years to make it more viable for more people to use public chargers

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will we be following the EU on the contactless laws? It's make so much more sense. Apps are useful and the electroverse discount for octopus is good. But give me contactless as a default option.

I swear a law was passed a few years back that all new chargers had to have contactless. Don't think it covered existing chargers which the issues lie with.

I prefer contactless. Much better

That said if I use the app it gives me live feed of my battery % where as the Kia app is slower to update

Much or a much but do prefer tap the phone and go

stevied

Visit site
Because there are countless articles out there saying it’s not good enough and the fact it’s been stated they need to install more public chargers with the aim to be around 300k in 10 years to make it more viable for more people to use public chargers

I wouldn't want to own an EV and use just public charging. Its just to expensive. The 300000 target will be hit within 5 years id think.
If you talk to people who drive 1000s of miles across Europe in thier EVs, they all say it's so much cheaper. I've no idea where it's going but you can thank us relatively early adopters for making it even easier and cheaper to switch when you realise its time

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't need to go to a charging station, I have my own. I also would never drive longer than the range of my car without a break and it can re charge quicker than I can so it's irrelevant on long journeys. There are plenty of chargers and more coming on line. The biggest issue with public charging is the cost, companies seems to think it's ok to fleece everyone with some asking 80+ pence per kwh.
Let's get away from this 5 mins to fill up nonsense as well. Previously I filled up with 99ron at the same garage every time. It's a 24 min round trip with say 5 to 10 mins to fuel depending on queues.
Now I just plug in on my drive. I know which I prefer.
If someone was asking me whether to make the jump, then if they have a drive to park and charge then it's 100% yes.

and that is great when you have home parking and charging. No home parking or charging equals a massive issue - simples. Until solid state 10 minute charging come in and charging stations are as numerous as petrol stations and pricing is in the same realm as home charging, then a lot of people will see electric cars as too much hassle, including me.. Although i welcome a situation where the above is true and then i can put them on my shopping list

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as youre not paying for the fuel id not worry about it. Hybrids are only any good if you charge them assuming it's a phev ? Otherwise you're just lugging batteries and a motor about .

Yeah it’s a PHEV, I won’t be charging the batteries myself but if my gaffer wants me to drive a car that does maybe 30mph on petrol alone that’s his call 🤷🏻‍♂️

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t need too - have 7 petrol stations to choose from within a couple of miles-

In the same area there is 4 area for charging a car - Tescos , three car parks

One big difference there for me.
On my most regular journey I only go past one garage and would only fill up there occasionally (cost) and at that station it was queue up in the shop along with all those doing their food shopping to pay (no pay at pump).

So to fill up I would have to go out of my way and in to area of much heavier traffic so it might be just 5 minutes to fill up but was an extra 10 minutes in travel time. In 15 minutes I can charge enough for a couple of days travel on a fast charger.

Doing planned filled fill ups with fuel is no different to doing planned 'fill ups' with electricity.

stevied

Visit site
and that is great when you have home parking and charging. No home parking or charging equals a massive issue - simples. Until solid state 10 minute charging come in and charging stations are as numerous as petrol stations and pricing is in the same realm as home charging, then a lot of people will see electric cars as too much hassle, including me.. Although i welcome a situation where the above is true and then i can put them on my shopping list
If my charger packed up and I had to use public chargers till I got it sorted it would be no hassle. It would be a lot more expensive than current, but still easy enough to do. There are plenty near me , including an open Tesla site id probably use once per week as generally the cheapest, although octopus often do price plunge at others. I did look at a Merc phev e class originally as I was concerned about range , fueling time and all that stuff , but when you speak to owners you realise its generally just nonsense. I'm so glad I went full BEV and doubt I'll ever go back to petrol or diesel
No doubt the public infrastructure needs work, too many apps and not enough contactless is a big gripe. The cost per kWh can be exorbitant. It would be nice if we followed the EU on this one with mandated contactless and the price displayed on the charger prominently.
Golf clubs , hotels , air bnbs are catching on and offering destination chargers at reasonable rates or sometimes even free.

Last edited:

stevied

Visit site
One big difference there for me.
On my most regular journey I only go past one garage and would only fill up there occasionally (cost) and at that station it was queue up in the shop along with all those doing their food shopping to pay (no pay at pump).

So to fill up I would have to go out of my way and in to area of much heavier traffic so it might be just 5 minutes to fill up but was an extra 10 minutes in travel time. In 15 minutes I can charge enough for a couple of days travel on a fast charger.

Doing planned filled fill ups with fuel is no different to doing planned 'fill ups' with electricity.
Exactly that, the notion of being able to fill up in 2 mins as I keep hearing really doesn't hold up to a great degree. Sure you could drive 350 miles, stop fill up and be on your way pretty Sharpish. But who does that in the real world? Not me for sure , I'm good for about 3 hrs driving before I want to stop for a break, during which I top up the car on a rapid charger if needed.
Regular boring life was a 25 mins round trip to Tesco to fill up with overpriced 99 Ron petrol.

Last edited:

stevied

Visit site
Yeah it’s a PHEV, I won’t be charging the batteries myself but if my gaffer wants me to drive a car that does maybe 30mph on petrol alone that’s his call 🤷🏻‍♂️
I tried a few phevs, they are nice and the switch between ice and motor is seamless . I had thought I'd do most driving on electric alone with the ice doing very little and granny charging the car at home , then I thought well in that case I may as well look at full BEV, with the occasional charge away from home.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If my charger packed up and I had to use public chargers till I got it sorted it would be no hassle. It would be a lot more expensive than current, but still easy enough to do. There are plenty near me , including an open Tesla site id probably use once per week as generally the cheapest, although octopus often do price plunge at others. I did look at a Merc phev e class originally as I was concerned about range , fueling time and all that stuff , but when you speak to owners you realise its generally just nonsense. I'm so glad I went full BEV and doubt I'll ever go back to petrol or diesel
No doubt the public infrastructure needs work, too many apps and not enough contactless is a big gripe. The cost per kWh can be exorbitant. It would be nice if we followed the EU on this one with mandated contactless and the price displayed on the charger prominently.
Golf clubs , hotels , air bnbs are catching on and offering destination chargers at reasonable rates or sometimes even free.

You find very few doing the swap back to ice. Yes there are some it hasn't worked for. However you find in the main people go to EV and then remain.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly that, the notion of being able to fill up in 2 mins as I keep hearing really doesn't hold up to a great degree. Sure you could drive 350 miles, stop fill up and be on your way pretty Sharpish. But who does that in the real world? Not me for sure , I'm good for about 3 hrs driving before I want to stop for a break, during which I top up the car on a rapid charger if needed.
Regular boring life was a 25 mins round trip to Tesco to fill up with overpriced 99 Ron petrol.
I can't remember the last time i went out of my way to fill up, ICE car. Maybe a 30 second or 1 minute diversion, but that's it. I fill up as I pass somewhere. Never at a motorway service station, I don't have a Jeff Besoz level bank account, but elsewhere, yes. Before a big journey, I'll do it the day before, to the top. That will usually see me there and back, 550 mile range on a full tank. If you are driving out of your way to fill up, making a specific journey to do it, that's clumsy.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Don’t think I have gone out of the way to fill up the car , it’s always on the way somewhere , mainly on the way to golf , pop in , fill up and then on the way - it takes a couple of mins

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Non Jaaaaag drivers can often manage more than this. :ROFLMAO:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just finished the Electrifying podcast. They went through some sales figures ov EVs that manufacturers have to hit to sell the amount of ICE cars they currently do without being fined. There seems to be an expectation of very favourable deals later in the year.

stevied

Visit site
I can't remember the last time i went out of my way to fill up, ICE car. Maybe a 30 second or 1 minute diversion, but that's it. I fill up as I pass somewhere. Never at a motorway service station, I don't have a Jeff Besoz level bank account, but elsewhere, yes. Before a big journey, I'll do it the day before, to the top. That will usually see me there and back, 550 mile range on a full tank. If you are driving out of your way to fill up, making a specific journey to do it, that's clumsy.
I dont drive anywhere to fill up anymore , but previously my nearest station was 25 mins round trip. Before a big journey my car will be plugged in. I dont have to go anywhere. I can get about 230 to 250 out of a charge but I'd always be stopping for a break long before then anyway so range isnt a factor for me anyway. I drove 310 to Cornwall in July , usually I'd stop for lunch at Bridgwater , this time I took a 2 mins diversion off the M5 to cribbs causeway and used a Tesla charger which got me back to over 90% while I had a cup of tea and a sandwich.
Then in Cornwall I was able to granny charge at the cottage.
A full charge costs me about £7 , I get the whole house at 7p per kWh overnight and any time my car is smart charging in peak hours the whole house gets the same 7p rate.
I 100% get that EVs are not for everyone, but range and charge time are not really of any consequence to be honest.